The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

mazor

nice, this sounds like the camera app for anyone serious about using the 1020 for descent photography. I could live with the warm color processing from the 1020, but the excessive edge enhancement, and super contrasty output from Pro Camera imho ruined the quality of the output.

So if you capture the same shot with Pro Camera, and then with Camera Pro the images will be different? Would love to see a comparison between the two. Also Camera Pro 3rd party app was known for it's burst mode on the n8 and 808. Does the same burst mode apply for the 1020?

scho

nice, this sounds like the camera app for anyone serious about using the 1020 for descent photography. I could live with the warm color processing from the 1020, but the excessive edge enhancement, and super contrasty output from Pro Camera imho ruined the quality of the output.

So if you capture the same shot with Pro Camera, and then with Camera Pro the images will be different? Would love to see a comparison between the two. Also Camera Pro 3rd party app was known for it's burst mode on the n8 and 808. Does the same burst mode apply for the 1020?
Unfortunately no, the controls I mentioned above are only available for the 808. Processing in the 1020 is still quite poor and way too punchy. Burst mode is available for both. I'm hanging on to the 1020 because my wife likes it, but I prefer using the 808.

scho

Here are two quick snaps form the 1020 using both the default Nokia Pro Camera and CameraPro app, both 4:3, full res, and then downsized in LR to 25% of full size.

Pro Camera

CameraPro

mazor

hmm, Carl, the colors seems the same. I guess one has to see the 1:1 crop view or have acccess to the full resolution images to get a better idea of whether there is much advantage moving from Pro Camera to Camera Pro.

Also does Camera Pro have 100% JPG compression selection?

scho

hmm, Carl, the colors seems the same. I guess one has to see the 1:1 crop view or have acccess to the full resolution images to get a better idea of whether there is much advantage moving from Pro Camera to Camera Pro.

Also does Camera Pro have 100% JPG compression selection?
No advantage on the 1020. No option for compression selection on the 1020. If you elect to use 100% with full res files you are looking at a huge increase in file size with minimal gain in image quality over the default 90%. Seems like many of the goodies in CameraPro didn't get ported over (yet) to the 1020 version. There is a "shutter priority" option that lets you select desired shutter speed on the 1020 that is not in the 808 version.

mazor

thanks for this info Carl. Really appreciate it. The idea of Camera Pro for the Lumia 1020, got me excited for a second. Sadly, it cannot bypass the "Nokia" derived image processing, but on a nice note, at least you can select many more resolutions, since I personally think 5Mp although adequate would benefit from a little more MP similar to the 8Mp pureview found in the 808.

I think the shutter priority on Camera Pro would be the same as setting the shutter and ISO manually on the Pro Camera app.

mazor

scho, if you had captured this same shots with the Nokia 808, do you think the results would have been different? That phone also packs a small sensor with high pixel density. :)

scho

scho, if you had captured this same shots with the Nokia 808, do you think the results would have been different? That phone also packs a small sensor with high pixel density. :)
Not much difference. I have good/bad blue sky shots from both cameras.

mazor

real, my experience with the 808, is that the blue skys shots may have noise, but then it does not have compression artifacts that we are seeing in your recent 1020 posts. That is the reason why I ask if Pbase actually modifies the compression JPG on the images after you upload it.

Here is a image I captured using maximum pureview zoom (zero over sampling) in pureview 8mp on the 808

The image may be noisy on the 808, but there is no digital artifacts appearing. where the blue meets green

scho

real, my experience with the 808, is that the blue skys shots may have noise, but then it does not have compression artifacts that we are seeing in your recent 1020 posts. That is the reason why I ask if Pbase actually modifies the compression JPG on the images after you upload it.

Here is a image I captured using maximum pureview zoom (zero over sampling) in pureview 8mp on the 808

The image may be noisy on the 808, but there is no digital artifacts appearing. where the blue meets green
My original was a 41 mp file and the artifacts you are seeing near the top of the cliff were a result of some heavy post processing to pull out some detail from the mush. Here is a 100% screen grab of the original jpg image on left and the processed tif file that was exported as a reduced size jpg for the web image you were viewing in the post above on the right. Screen grab from LR. Click for full size.

mazor

nice compare Carl, scary that the 1020 images are already edge sharpened, and yet you are applying even more sharpness, hence revealing digital artifacts where the edges meet.

scho

nice compare Carl, scary that the 1020 images are already edge sharpened, and yet you are applying even more sharpness, hence revealing digital artifacts where the edges meet.
I re-processed the Yosemite image, masking the blue sky to minimize artifacts, but of course there is still significant noise.

mazor

Carl, thats much better! I will take any day over that the horrible digital artifacts. The digital artifacts is the underlying truth that determines the performance of the image processor and sensor. Still surprised that the 1020 shots need sharpening! I guess based on the left hand image of post #33, that one has the tendency to look extremely water colored, or as I have heard the from another site, "oil painting"

scho

Never leave your car parked for long under an apple tree (I think that this car has been here for a looong time). :)

scho

A few shots at an abandoned house badly in need of a paint job. Click for the gory, high res details.:eek:

[