The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

mazor

yes, also it seems your 1020 does not suffer from soft one side which is an added bonus as it means your 1020 lens has proper alignment.

mazor

Liking this idea of cropping off the 16:9 image to make a 4:3. It does fix that issue of soft corners, and the field of view is still very wide. The only thing of issue from doing this is the overall megapixel will now be less than 5mp in pureview mode. Lets see if "Lumia Black" firmware can give at least an 8mp pureview mode for the 1020.

scho

Liking this idea of cropping off the 16:9 image to make a 4:3. It does fix that issue of soft corners, and the field of view is still very wide. The only thing of issue from doing this is the overall megapixel will now be less than 5mp in pureview mode. Lets see if "Lumia Black" firmware can give at least an 8mp pureview mode for the 1020.
I'm cropping the high-res files shot at 16:9 to 3:2 and end up with a 28 mp file that has all the resolution I need for printing. I don't use the small 5mp files at all. Actually, I'm hoping that they provide an option with the "raw" update to save only the DNG file, but doesn't look likely based on the preview screen grabs.

mazor

I think it will be a requirement for JPG to be saved with DNG, for reviewing purposes and gallery. Not sure how well Windows Phone handles reading DNG!

Good to see you are getting quite used to the 1020, suspect you will be retiring the 808 soon.

scho

I think it will be a requirement for JPG to be saved with DNG, for reviewing purposes and gallery. Not sure how well Windows Phone handles reading DNG!

Good to see you are getting quite used to the 1020, suspect you will be retiring the 808 soon.
I think that you are right about the JPG+DNG option for the 1020, but most other systems (not phones) do offer a raw only option. Not giving up on the 808 yet while it is still the resolution champ. :)

mazor

Yes you are right, other cameras do have the ability to make a preview directly from RAW, but suspect there is a dedicated hardware image processor at work there.

Even if the 808 is thrown from being the resolution champ, there is more to a camera than just resolution. Shot to shot times could be an issue for some if they are taking any kind of semi action shot. Also the overall IQ over the whole 41MP frame is far better on the 808, ie. no forced cropping off soft corners and hence a higher quality lens.

Have you even used Camera Pro for 808? It allows to full use of the multi aspect sensor and hence allows full 41MP capture. Only issue is if you want use all 41MP there will be vignetting which can be corrected easily in Photoshop, unlike soft corners which are far harder to correct if at all possible.

Also by using full 41MP you can get maximum benefit from the sensor when you crop later to 6:4

scho

Yes you are right, other cameras do have the ability to make a preview directly from RAW, but suspect there is a dedicated hardware image processor at work there.

Even if the 808 is thrown from being the resolution champ, there is more to a camera than just resolution. Shot to shot times could be an issue for some if they are taking any kind of semi action shot. Also the overall IQ over the whole 41MP frame is far better on the 808, ie. no forced cropping off soft corners and hence a higher quality lens.

Have you even used Camera Pro for 808? It allows to full use of the multi aspect sensor and hence allows full 41MP capture. Only issue is if you want use all 41MP there will be vignetting which can be corrected easily in Photoshop, unlike soft corners which are far harder to correct if at all possible.

Also by using full 41MP you can get maximum benefit from the sensor when you crop later to 6:4
Yes, I always use the full 41 mp mode of camera pro on the 808. Unfortunately can't do that on the 1020.

scho

Two shots taken today with the 1020. I was checking out a new app (phriz.be, available free in the Nokia store) for wireless transfer of high res images from the phone to my computer. Works by sending a link to your desktop email that allows downloading the full res files to the computer. Quick and easy.

mazor

ahh nice, so it sends your images to a temporary cloud from which you can share downloads links. Would it not be the same if you just used flickr?

like the tree trunk base shot. It has nice textures on the bark, plus lovely greens from the fallen leaves.

I like you process method of taking a full res image and resampling it to a lower usable resolution. It is by far superior than using the not so efficient pureview 5mp which tends to oversharpen the whole image. Edges look more natural to thw you process them. I bet you can't wait for RAW.. it wil be like stepping the 1020 into yet a higher gear.

scho

ahh nice, so it sends your images to a temporary cloud from which you can share downloads links. Would it not be the same if you just used flickr?

like the tree trunk base shot. It has nice textures on the bark, plus lovely greens from the fallen leaves.

I like you process method of taking a full res image and resampling it to a lower usable resolution. It is by far superior than using the not so efficient pureview 5mp which tends to oversharpen the whole image. Edges look more natural to thw you process them. I bet you can't wait for RAW.. it wil be like stepping the 1020 into yet a higher gear.
Thanks Mazor. Flickr might do the same, but I don't use it. Would have been easier to just have the capability to upload to SkyDrive, but this is quite fast. There was a new update to Nokia Camera today, but just maintenance - no raw yet and I guess that will have to wait until the Nokia Black update is released.

mazor

yes , the wait for Nokia black. High expectations, it better not disappoint. New JPG algorithms may be good enough that RAW may not be required for day to day shooting ;)

scho

November landscape shot of a vineyard near Seneca Lake. Cropped and had to do some cloning to remove power lines from sky.

mazor

aww, whats wrong with a bit of power lines!!

Vines are crooked,and have good detail. I especially like the flying objects you managed to capture in the sky, will share my vineyard shot from the Nokia 808 on the 808 image zone ;)

btw, your cloning is not complete, I still can see powerlines in the white cloud bits.

scho

aww, whats wrong with a bit of power lines!!

Vines are crooked,and have good detail. I especially like the flying objects you managed to capture in the sky, will share my vineyard shot from the Nokia 808 on the 808 image zone ;)

btw, your cloning is not complete, I still can see powerlines in the white cloud bits.
The "flying objects" are willow leaves blowing around in a stiff 30 mph wind. Thanks I noticed the lines after posting and will fix.

scho

A couple from a walk at Cornell's Newman arboretum.

Nokia Camera app has now been updated for raw DNG support, but still have to wait for the "black" firmware update before it can be used.

mazor

Haha, it is like Nokia has sent a tempter in the form of a camera update, where the options are there but not active yet ;)