Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

A few trial shots taken with the Nokia Lumia 1020. All were from high res shots, with some cropping and resizing to 50% of original 34 to 38 MP images. Coming from an exclusive Mac learning environment I thought that the Windows OS might be daunting, but actually very nice interface and software works well. The camera can produce nice images, but as others have noted there are issues with highlight clipping, corner sharpness, saturation, and excessive noise reduction in low ISO files. Firmware upgrades could resolve some of these issues, but the corner sharpness issue appears to be lens related. More user control of image processing would be a big plus. Not sure yet if I will keep the 1020 or move back to the 808.

Click image for larger version.

Last edited by scho; 5th September 2013 at 14:38.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Not sure yet if I will keep the 1020 or move back to the 808.
    That doubt was what made me go for the 808. Equal or better image quality for a much lower price

Post Thanks / Like

808 for me as well. Got one when I was testing out the 1080.
    Nokia cheaped out on the lens this time. I posted an article in the 808 thread that detailed the differences in lens used. Also the 808 got a bigger sensor still

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad performance from the 1020 scho. It seems the lumia 1020 does have it's own identity styling the colors. The overall noise is visible even though there is noise reduction, but the noise does not feel too digital which is nice.

I still prefer the output from the 808, even though the 1020 may have the high ISO advantage. The 808 can really achieve higher than normal quality images at are amazingly clean at low ISO, at higher ISO the 808 images resemble a cheap point and shoot image image for quality. The 1020 achieves pretty much the same quality throughout the ISO range, while it does not excel at low ISO, the signal to noise at higher ISO does not increase by much, which makes for more pleasing high ISO shots. Undoubtedly, the quality throughout the ISO range resembles a higher than average mobile phone camera, but will never be able to take on a cheap point and shoot for picture quality.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, mmbma, and mazor thanks for the comments. I pretty much agree with all of your points. Handling of the 1020 when taking pictures is much nicer with the battery grip attached, but obviously a bit awkward for phone use. I like the screen, OIS feature, and software features, but otherwise low ISO image quality could be better. I have another week to decide whether it stays or goes back and I've ordered an 808 so I'll be able to make some 1:1 comparisons before making a final decision on which to keep.

Two more shots taken this morning at the supermarket. Noise in deep blue sky is evident. Inside shot at ISO 500 has some highlight blowout and not very sharp.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few more 1020 shots taken on an overcast day at the local park. Still waiting for my 808 to arrive, but meanwhile I'm getting more comfortable with the 1020.

Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

scho, love the window sill shot. So much texture and detail! Sort of has a nice film like grain to the image. Can see the corner softness occurring in the bench seat shot. If you are not looking for it, it really is not visible.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    scho, love the window sill shot. So much texture and detail! Sort of has a nice film like grain to the image. Can see the corner softness occurring in the bench seat shot. If you are not looking for it, it really is not visible.
    Thanks mazor. The corner softness issue is probably the most serious flaw this camera has and one needs to try and compose images when shooting to allow for cropping later.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

scho, since there is visible noise in the 1020 shots in daylight, does the quality drop much when using the lossless pureview zoom?ie noise increase much?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

scho, since there is visible noise in the 1020 shots in daylight, does the quality drop much when using the lossless pureview zoom?ie noise increase much?
    mazor, not really, but noise has not been much of an issue for me so far. I am far more concerned about the high levels of default noise reduction applied in camera processing that results in loss of some fine detail. This may also be due to jpeg compression. In either event there is no user control for either noise reduction levels or jpeg compression of output files from the 1020.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two more from today's walk near the tracks and market.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    mazor, not really, but noise has not been much of an issue for me so far. I am far more concerned about the high levels of default noise reduction applied in camera processing that results in loss of some fine detail. This may also be due to jpeg compression. In either event there is no user control for either noise reduction levels or jpeg compression of output files from the 1020.
    agree, no camera phone that I know of will give that kind of flexibility. The noise reduction on the 1020 can't be that high, as there is still plenty of visible noise. I think what you are wanting is No noise reduction, but that result may not be desirable to see from a consumer point of view
    Last edited by mazor; 9th September 2013 at 19:06.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots from a walk up to Ithaca Falls on Fall Creek with the 1020. The last is a two shot stitch.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few more 1020 shots. I've started shooting in 16:9 mode and then cropping to 3:2 in post to eliminate the soft corners problem.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

lovely shots scho. How much resolution are you losing capturing say in pureview 5mp 16:9 and then cropping in?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

lovely shots scho. How much resolution are you losing capturing say in pureview 5mp 16:9 and then cropping in?
    I'm using CameraPro in high res mode so starting with a 33 mp 16:9 file before cropping in LR to 3:2. I resize by 50% for web down to about 6 mp.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

ahh doing your own oversampling reduction. Is there "Camera Pro" third party for Lumia? I know the Nokia app is called "Pro Camera"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ahh doing your own oversampling reduction. Is there "Camera Pro" third party for Lumia? I know the Nokia app is called "Pro Camera"
    Yes, I always shoot full res to have a file for printing. CameraPro is available now for both the 808 and 1020. This is Harald Meyer's app that is sold from the Nokia store. I like it because you can get the full 41 MP from the camera.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

ah excellent! Now the big question, does Camera pro process the image differently from the default Procamera app? ie not oversharpened, contrast and saturation etc?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

ah excellent! Now the big question, does Camera pro process the image differently from the default Procamera app? ie not oversharpened, contrast and saturation etc?
    I think so. You have control over sharpness, contrast, brightness, saturation, etc. in CameraPro and more resolution choices as well.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

nice, this sounds like the camera app for anyone serious about using the 1020 for descent photography. I could live with the warm color processing from the 1020, but the excessive edge enhancement, and super contrasty output from Pro Camera imho ruined the quality of the output.

So if you capture the same shot with Pro Camera, and then with Camera Pro the images will be different? Would love to see a comparison between the two. Also Camera Pro 3rd party app was known for it's burst mode on the n8 and 808. Does the same burst mode apply for the 1020?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

nice, this sounds like the camera app for anyone serious about using the 1020 for descent photography. I could live with the warm color processing from the 1020, but the excessive edge enhancement, and super contrasty output from Pro Camera imho ruined the quality of the output.

So if you capture the same shot with Pro Camera, and then with Camera Pro the images will be different? Would love to see a comparison between the two. Also Camera Pro 3rd party app was known for it's burst mode on the n8 and 808. Does the same burst mode apply for the 1020?
    Unfortunately no, the controls I mentioned above are only available for the 808. Processing in the 1020 is still quite poor and way too punchy. Burst mode is available for both. I'm hanging on to the 1020 because my wife likes it, but I prefer using the 808.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two quick snaps form the 1020 using both the default Nokia Pro Camera and CameraPro app, both 4:3, full res, and then downsized in LR to 25% of full size.

Pro Camera

CameraPro
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, Carl, the colors seems the same. I guess one has to see the 1:1 crop view or have acccess to the full resolution images to get a better idea of whether there is much advantage moving from Pro Camera to Camera Pro.

Also does Camera Pro have 100% JPG compression selection?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, Carl, the colors seems the same. I guess one has to see the 1:1 crop view or have acccess to the full resolution images to get a better idea of whether there is much advantage moving from Pro Camera to Camera Pro.

Also does Camera Pro have 100% JPG compression selection?
    No advantage on the 1020. No option for compression selection on the 1020. If you elect to use 100% with full res files you are looking at a huge increase in file size with minimal gain in image quality over the default 90%. Seems like many of the goodies in CameraPro didn't get ported over (yet) to the 1020 version. There is a "shutter priority" option that lets you select desired shutter speed on the 1020 that is not in the 808 version.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for this info Carl. Really appreciate it. The idea of Camera Pro for the Lumia 1020, got me excited for a second. Sadly, it cannot bypass the "Nokia" derived image processing, but on a nice note, at least you can select many more resolutions, since I personally think 5Mp although adequate would benefit from a little more MP similar to the 8Mp pureview found in the 808.

I think the shutter priority on Camera Pro would be the same as setting the shutter and ISO manually on the Pro Camera app.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few taken with the 1020 on a recent trip to California.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Scho, just wondering did you notice digital artifacts appearing in the blue sky just above the cliffs and tree line.

http://www.pbase.com/scho/image/152793599/original.jpg

Does Pbase recompress the image?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Scho, just wondering did you notice digital artifacts appearing in the blue sky just above the cliffs and tree line.

http://www.pbase.com/scho/image/152793599/original.jpg

Does Pbase recompress the image?
    Yes & yes. Also artifacts are the price of using a small sensor with high pixel density.

Best,
    Carl
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

scho, if you had captured this same shots with the Nokia 808, do you think the results would have been different? That phone also packs a small sensor with high pixel density.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

scho, if you had captured this same shots with the Nokia 808, do you think the results would have been different? That phone also packs a small sensor with high pixel density.
    Not much difference. I have good/bad blue sky shots from both cameras.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

real, my experience with the 808, is that the blue skys shots may have noise, but then it does not have compression artifacts that we are seeing in your recent 1020 posts. That is the reason why I ask if Pbase actually modifies the compression JPG on the images after you upload it.

Here is a image I captured using maximum pureview zoom (zero over sampling) in pureview 8mp on the 808

The image may be noisy on the 808, but there is no digital artifacts appearing. where the blue meets green

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

real, my experience with the 808, is that the blue skys shots may have noise, but then it does not have compression artifacts that we are seeing in your recent 1020 posts. That is the reason why I ask if Pbase actually modifies the compression JPG on the images after you upload it.

Here is a image I captured using maximum pureview zoom (zero over sampling) in pureview 8mp on the 808

The image may be noisy on the 808, but there is no digital artifacts appearing. where the blue meets green
    My original was a 41 mp file and the artifacts you are seeing near the top of the cliff were a result of some heavy post processing to pull out some detail from the mush. Here is a 100% screen grab of the original jpg image on left and the processed tif file that was exported as a reduced size jpg for the web image you were viewing in the post above on the right. Screen grab from LR. Click for full size.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

nice compare Carl, scary that the 1020 images are already edge sharpened, and yet you are applying even more sharpness, hence revealing digital artifacts where the edges meet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

nice compare Carl, scary that the 1020 images are already edge sharpened, and yet you are applying even more sharpness, hence revealing digital artifacts where the edges meet.
    I re-processed the Yosemite image, masking the blue sky to minimize artifacts, but of course there is still significant noise.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Carl, thats much better! I will take any day over that the horrible digital artifacts. The digital artifacts is the underlying truth that determines the performance of the image processor and sensor. Still surprised that the 1020 shots need sharpening! I guess based on the left hand image of post #33, that one has the tendency to look extremely water colored, or as I have heard the from another site, "oil painting"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few additional 1020 shots taken at Mission Carmel.

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Never leave your car parked for long under an apple tree (I think that this car has been here for a looong time).

Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A few shots at an abandoned house badly in need of a paint job. Click for the gory, high res details.

[

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

wow, lovely, any cropping corners?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

wow, lovely, any cropping corners?
    Thanks Mazor. Yes, shot at 16:9 and cropped to 3:2. Looking forward to the raw update for the 1020.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

yes, also it seems your 1020 does not suffer from soft one side which is an added bonus as it means your 1020 lens has proper alignment.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Last of the apples. Shot 16:9 and cropped 3:2.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Liking this idea of cropping off the 16:9 image to make a 4:3. It does fix that issue of soft corners, and the field of view is still very wide. The only thing of issue from doing this is the overall megapixel will now be less than 5mp in pureview mode. Lets see if "Lumia Black" firmware can give at least an 8mp pureview mode for the 1020.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Liking this idea of cropping off the 16:9 image to make a 4:3. It does fix that issue of soft corners, and the field of view is still very wide. The only thing of issue from doing this is the overall megapixel will now be less than 5mp in pureview mode. Lets see if "Lumia Black" firmware can give at least an 8mp pureview mode for the 1020.
    I'm cropping the high-res files shot at 16:9 to 3:2 and end up with a 28 mp file that has all the resolution I need for printing. I don't use the small 5mp files at all. Actually, I'm hoping that they provide an option with the "raw" update to save only the DNG file, but doesn't look likely based on the preview screen grabs.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be a requirement for JPG to be saved with DNG, for reviewing purposes and gallery. Not sure how well Windows Phone handles reading DNG!

Good to see you are getting quite used to the 1020, suspect you will be retiring the 808 soon.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think it will be a requirement for JPG to be saved with DNG, for reviewing purposes and gallery. Not sure how well Windows Phone handles reading DNG!

Good to see you are getting quite used to the 1020, suspect you will be retiring the 808 soon.
    I think that you are right about the JPG+DNG option for the 1020, but most other systems (not phones) do offer a raw only option. Not giving up on the 808 yet while it is still the resolution champ.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right, other cameras do have the ability to make a preview directly from RAW, but suspect there is a dedicated hardware image processor at work there.

Even if the 808 is thrown from being the resolution champ, there is more to a camera than just resolution. Shot to shot times could be an issue for some if they are taking any kind of semi action shot. Also the overall IQ over the whole 41MP frame is far better on the 808, ie. no forced cropping off soft corners and hence a higher quality lens.

Have you even used Camera Pro for 808? It allows to full use of the multi aspect sensor and hence allows full 41MP capture. Only issue is if you want use all 41MP there will be vignetting which can be corrected easily in Photoshop, unlike soft corners which are far harder to correct if at all possible.

Also by using full 41MP you can get maximum benefit from the sensor when you crop later to 6:4

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you are right, other cameras do have the ability to make a preview directly from RAW, but suspect there is a dedicated hardware image processor at work there.

Even if the 808 is thrown from being the resolution champ, there is more to a camera than just resolution. Shot to shot times could be an issue for some if they are taking any kind of semi action shot. Also the overall IQ over the whole 41MP frame is far better on the 808, ie. no forced cropping off soft corners and hence a higher quality lens.

Have you even used Camera Pro for 808? It allows to full use of the multi aspect sensor and hence allows full 41MP capture. Only issue is if you want use all 41MP there will be vignetting which can be corrected easily in Photoshop, unlike soft corners which are far harder to correct if at all possible.

Also by using full 41MP you can get maximum benefit from the sensor when you crop later to 6:4
    Yes, I always use the full 41 mp mode of camera pro on the 808. Unfortunately can't do that on the 1020.
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Two shots taken today with the 1020. I was checking out a new app (phriz.be, available free in the Nokia store) for wireless transfer of high res images from the phone to my computer. Works by sending a link to your desktop email that allows downloading the full res files to the computer. Quick and easy.

Carl
    Gallery