The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

cv 28/35 mini viewfinder on G10?

I

ionianblues

Hi everybody, and happy new year.
Excuse me if my english is not so good, I write from Spain.

I'm thinking on getting the Voigtlander mini finder for my G10, but looking at the images, I'm not sure if I'll be able to place my eye as close to the viewfinder as is needed to see the whole image with the framelines, as it seems that the G10's own viewfinder protrudes further that the hot shoe (into ones face)..
If any owner of the mini finder knows how close you need to place your eye to see the whole image, it would be great to know.
Is anyone using this combination?

Thanks!

Dani Pazos

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I use that finder on my GR-DII and you have to get it right up to your eye.

I don't see what you would gain with it as the G10 has an optical viewer and a zoom lens.

I

ionianblues

Johnastovall,

I use the G10 mostly at the widest zoom position (28mm equiv) or near, and its own viewfinder is quite crappy, not very useful...
I wonder if the larger cv 28mm metal finder might be a better solution.

fordfanjpn

Johnastovall,

I use the G10 mostly at the widest zoom position (28mm equiv) or near, and its own viewfinder is quite crappy, not very useful...
I wonder if the larger cv 28mm metal finder might be a better solution.
I use the round metal CV 28mm viewfinder on my DP1, and since it sits up a bit higher on the camera, even though it is not even with the back of the camera, there's no problem with getting my eye up to the viewfinder. And you do need to get up close.

Bill

O

Oxide Blu

On my GRDII I use a Voigtlander bright lines VF, maybe the same as what Bill mentioned in his post. It is metal, round, sits up a little higher. No prob snuggling up to it, and as Bill mentions, you do need to get right up next to it.

I got mine from Camera Quest, where these images are borrowed from.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtacc.htm

Lili

The CV-28 works great; but make sure you are shooting at 3:2 ratio, aqlso it will sit quite high on your G-1 so parallax will be an issue; look through on a tripod and compare what it is seeing on the LCD then you will know how much to compensate.
MY big concern would be if you can cofortably get your eye close enough to the CV-28 without mashing your nose or something against the rubber eye-cup of the built-OVF.

Uaiomex

I just bought too a G10 as xmas present. I'm thinking on th same VF. My concern is if it has dioptric correction. No add talks about it, so I asume it doesn't. Anyone knows a similar product with corrections?
Thanks
Eduardo

fordfanjpn

On my GRDII I use a Voigtlander bright lines VF, maybe the same as what Bill mentioned in his post. It is metal, round, sits up a little higher. No prob snuggling up to it, and as Bill mentions, you do need to get right up next to it.

I got mine from Camera Quest, where these images are borrowed from.

http://www.cameraquest.com/voigtacc.htm
That's the same one I have. I just tried it on a G9 (I don't have a G10 here right now) and it works fine. I don't have any problem getting my eye up to it. So I think you'd be OK using it on a G10. The difference between the CV finder and the built-in finder of course is night and day.

Bill

fordfanjpn

Here's a quick shot of the finder on a G9. Sorry about the IQ. It looks like it is sitting quite far forward, but it's not at all difficult to use.

Bill

Last edited:
I

ionianblues

Thanks a lot for your answers. I will get the CV28 then!
I always shoot raw at 4:3 and then crop to 3:2, so the finders aspect is not a problem at all.
Thanks again,

Dani

Diane B

That's the same one I have. I just tried it on a G9 (I don't have a G10 here right now) and it works fine. I don't have any problem getting my eye up to it. So I think you'd be OK using it on a G10. The difference between the CV finder and the built-in finder of course is night and day.

Bill
I have the Voigtlander 35mm version for my G9. I love the finder and the parallax correction lines help when needed. I just learned to compensate for the difference in 4:3 to 3:2. Works fine if you shoot primarily at widest. I agree--its day and night between the CV finder and the OVF---the CV is bright, big.

As I recall, there is a smaller 28/35 finder also--both found at Cameraquest (B & H also has them). That might work for some better.

Diane