The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 owner wants pocketable alternative

I never realised this section of GetDPI existed until someone mentioned it over on the m4/3 group yesterday.

I am totally happy with my (now quite old) Panasonic GH2. New gear comes along all the time, however there has been little progress in sensor technology and I am reluctant to splash out on what is nothing more than a redesigned body.

However, I do quite a lot of low light reportage when I really would prefer a camera that can go in my pocket when it is not being used.

I don't want/need zoom. Ideally I'd like the equivalent of 28mm in full frame terminology. Usually I can get nearer my subject - walls I cannot move when I step backwards!

I want RAW as my conversion software will always beat the in camera variants.

However, my priority is max ISO, min noise. None of these shots, though published professionally, will be printed any larger than A4.

Can I have your suggestions please?

Tony

tbhv55

I never realised this section of GetDPI existed until someone mentioned it over on the m4/3 group yesterday.

I am totally happy with my (now quite old) Panasonic GH2. New gear comes along all the time, however there has been little progress in sensor technology and I am reluctant to splash out on what is nothing more than a redesigned body.

However, I do quite a lot of low light reportage when I really would prefer a camera that can go in my pocket when it is not being used.

I don't want/need zoom. Ideally I'd like the equivalent of 28mm in full frame terminology. Usually I can get nearer my subject - walls I cannot move when I step backwards!

I want RAW as my conversion software will always beat the in camera variants.

However, my priority is max ISO, min noise. None of these shots, though published professionally, will be printed any larger than A4.

Can I have your suggestions please?

Tony
I would have thought that the two main contenders would be the Sony RX100 (either the Mk1 or Mk2), or the Ricoh GR. The Ricoh has a 28mm (equiv.) f/2.8 fixed lens, and a 16.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor (without low-pass filter). The RX100 has a 28-100mm (equiv.) f/1.8-4.9 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* zoom lens, and a 20.2MP Exmor CMOS sensor (13.2 x 8.8mm)

I can vouch for the RX100 being very impressive - indeed often amazing - for such a small camera. Its handling is something of an acquired taste. I found it rather difficult at first, but have since warmed to it. I now find it very good to use, and the results are excellent.

The Ricoh receives much praise across the web, but I have no experience with it.

Of course, there may be other suitable contenders of which I'm unaware, and I'm sure that others will chime in with these. Good luck with your choice.:)

Thanks.

I thought Ricoh would be mentioned. I bought my wife the GR1 and then the GR2. It is a bit slow using RAW but I am sure the new one is far better.

I have yet to look at the specs but I guess the Sony is larger as it has the zoom? I also am not keen on those telephoto zooms that end up f 4.9. Totally useless for my low light stuff. As I have just loaded to the internet I'll put a link to Tuesday's work. Most shots are at around 3200 ASA. Yes there is some telephoto stuff (90mm FF) but I could have almost as easily moved nearer to the performer. Key thing is I was only 'working' half the time and would have loved to have been able to put my camera in my pocket when I had done.

http://tinyurl.com/o4lbple

Tony

Last edited:

tbhv55

I have yet to look at the specs but I guess the Sony is larger as it has the zoom? I also am not keen on those telephoto zooms that end up f 4.9. Totally useless for my low light stuff.
The Sony is smaller and (slightly) lighter - their respective statistic are as follows:-

RX100: 102 x 58 x 36mm (4.00 x 2.29 x 1.41″); weight: 240g (inc battery)

GR: 117 x 61 x 35mm (4.61 x 2.40 x 1.38″); weight: 245g (inc battery)

I agree that the long-end aperture of f/4.9 is a little disappointing. However, the high ISO of the RX100 is pretty good for a pocket-sized compact, so this goes some way to offset the restrictive aperture at ≈100mm. Besides, since you say that you don't want/need zoom, then you presumably wouldn't use the long end, anyway?!;)

In the UK the Ricoh seems to be around 50% more expensive - which might, or might not, be relevant in your decision-making. I have no interest in trying to persuade you to get the RX100 - I reckon that either would do a fantastic job for your stated requirements.

Key thing is I was only 'working' half the time and would have loved to have been able to put my camera in my pocket when I had done.
You'd certainly be able to do this with the RX100... it's very small!:)

Oh dear. The Sony does not have a viewfinder.

Nor does the Ricoh but at least one can clip on an optical one.

Do you not use one with your RX100?

Tony

tbhv55

Oh dear. The Sony does not have a viewfinder.

Nor does the Ricoh but at least one can clip on an optical one.

Do you not use one with your RX100?

Tony
The RX100 MkII can accommodate an external VF in the hotshoe - the MkI has not hotshoe, so it can't. I do prefer a viewfinder, but I accepted the compromise for portability, when I bought the MkI (the MkII was not available at that time).

I might, at some point, upgrade to the MkII, but I don't feel inclined to do so, as yet.

V

Vivek

OVF with a zoom? What good would that do?:confused:

The rumored GM1should show soon. i would wait for it.

;)"OVF with a zoom? What good would that do?"

Yes, sir, I had worked that one out.;)

GM1. I will do some Googling.

Tony

tbhv55

The OP stated that he didn't want/need the zoom.. which is why he's also considering the Ricoh GR. Therefore, if he were to opt for the RX100, he would only (or at least, mostly) be using it at 28mm, so an external OVF could be fine.

Obviously, if he were to use the zoom more frequently, he might find the EVF more suitable. Alternatively, he could just use the LCD for those occasions.:)

Of course, the GM1, when it arrives, might also be a very good candidate.

V

Vivek

Tony, Though not as small as the RX100/II, have a look at the Ricoh GR. Fixed lens and all.

Oh, the GM-1 is a rumored (to show up in 1 week) Panasonic m43rds cam.

Thanks guys,

I have searched the RX100 threads here and even the big one only shows five references to viewfinder. Clearly not having one is not an issue for most people.

I can't manage holding a camera at arm's length. As I said above the accessory EVF is a joke price and size wise. Does anyone have any suggestions like the ClearViewer?

Tony

Yes, Vivek. Thanks.

I mentioned above that my wife has the GR2 - I'll see what progress has been made.

The GM-1 would be interesting as it would take my M4/3 lenses like the 14mm pancake.

Tony

Godfrey

The rumored GM1should show soon. i would wait for it.
just leave the camera set to 28mm equivalent and fit a 28mm optical viewfinder. Used to do that with my Panasonic LX1, only I had to rubber-cement the viewfinder in place.

G

Godfrey,

Good advice.

And look at the back to get a feel of any zooming.

I'd quite to know where and when the camer was focussing. But do people bother with such a big DOF?

Godfrey

I'd quite to know where and when the camer was focussing. But do people bother with such a big DOF?
The Leica X2 is my "minimum and pocketable" camera. Or the Olympus E-PL1 fitted with the 15mm body cap lens and a Ricoh optical viewfinder ...

When I take the X2 out, I use it in two very distinct ways:

- Fitted with an OVF, I set the aperture to f/5.6-7 and the AF to Face Detect. Face Detect defaults to a high contrast area when it can't see any faces. Or a switch of AF entirely and set up the MF to focus by zone for my intended shooting range. In either case, I turn off the LCD and just use the OVF to frame and shoot. This is best for street shooting in modest to good light, when total scene gestalt and large DOF is called for.

- Fitted with the EVF, I set the aperture to f/2.8-f/4. Since I can see what the AF is doing, I either make sure that it's on my preferred focus point, or I switch to MF and manually focus the camera. This is best used in low light or when shallow DOF is desired.

I sometimes carry just the camera and use the LCD, but I find that a 35mm FoV is a little tight for that mode of operation, for me, most of the time. With the E-PL1 and body cap lens (or my twisty little Cosmicar 12.5mm f/1.4), it works better; or with a longer focal length when you're shooting sideways or from the hip.

This one with the E-PL1 and body cap lens:

Not bad for a camera that weighs 9 oz and cost me all of $140 (used body, new body cap lens, and I already had the viewfinder).

G

Thanks Godfrey,

Some good ideas there.

I am currently tempted to trade my wife's Ricoh 2 to the 4. We have the OVF already.

EDIT. I had not realised that there is now '5' but it seems to be just called GR.

Whet I sold her Ricoh 1 with an OVF to a friend he immediately put it in a drawer so he could use the back LCD and join the 'wobble the camera at arm's length' brigade. Talk about taking horses to water and ........

But any other ideas would be fun. I love shopping - as long as I don't have to go to the shops to do it.

Tony

Last edited:

JBurnett

Tried a Clearviewer with my LX5. It worked better than I thought it might. However, even when folded against the camera it did make the package noticeably thicker, and it tended to catch on things when taking it out of my coat pocket or small bag. With the LX5's 460,000 dot LCD, the view from the Clearviewer looked annoyingly "pixelated" -- a higher resolution LCD would be recommended.

Then there's this jobbie -- a Hasselblad waist-level viewfinder bolted on the back of an RX100!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-use-hasselblad-waist-finder-LCD-viewfinder-hood-Sony-RX100-/200862370122

Last edited:
Update.

The Ricoh GR arrived yesterday afternoon. I took it to a function in the evening and was pleased to be able to tuck it into my pocket whilst relaxing. The shots are here:-

Verdi

Some are pretty noisy as at times the camera was working in excess of 10,000 ASA. I used the mode where one can set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera picks its own ASA. Brilliant.

And there is a green camera on the dial where one chooses P Av etc that is the position where my wife can do herself the least damage.

I am confident that I have made the right choice. I still lust after the X100S - but it would not have suited my wife and also I do prefer 28mm to 35mm as a shooting focal length.

Tony