The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

m4/3 owner wants pocketable alternative

mazor

Congrats on getting the GR Tony. Looks like you had alot of fun! The venue seems very colorful, and it is good to see the GR was able to capture this. The high ISO shots are indeed noisy, but somehow it seems to suit the event well, and when I see your lower ISO images in the same set ie no visible noise grain, it just feels not quite right as if it does not belong. But thats just my opinion, it would be good to see if you agree or disagree.

:)

Mazor - an interesting observation.

The curtain call shots with the full cast came out at around 1200 ASA. Given more time to process the RAWs it would have been better to use less noise reduction (I use Qimage Ultimate) on those shots.

One of my chums who organised the evening hung the red/white/green banners during the previous night (midnight to three he tells me). You've made my green banner look turquoise he said. That is because the roof is lit with blue flourescent tubes. I promised him I would re-colour any files that were going to be used in our Club magazine. However, I did point out that with all the different coloured lights being used in the Palm Court it was hard to get any sensible and consistent white balance - you can see the white table linen looking blue from those tubes!

But a lovely handy camera to use and that is the real point.

Off to sell my wife's GR 11 this lunchtime - hopefully to one of the staff working on the event as they tend to like to buy my old cameras as they have seen them in action (not the 11 I admit but they know I use reliable kit).

EDIT ONE DAY ON

I would have preferred the exposure compensation toggle at the top right to be blocked in the green camera (dummies) mode. It can be knocked easily. I have the OVF on the camera and encourage my wife to use it instead of the screen. On the old GR2 I turned the screen off to discourage her from shooting with the camera at arms length and to use the OVF. Now I will leave the screen on and encourage her to look at it from time to time to make sure she has not accidentally hit that exposure adjustment toggle. To me it seems illogical to leave it live when things like the macro button are barred.

Tony

Last edited:

Godfrey

why not just get the Panny GM1 and 14mm lens? very tiny, fits in any pocket I've got that I'd put a camera in.

now if you want an optical viewfinder, the Oly E-PM2 fitted with the same panny 14mm lens and a compact optical viewfinder is a nice kit with the plus of IBIS. also fits in my trousers/jacket pocket although not as small as the GM1.

G

Thanks,

I am fixed now but the GM1 and the 14mm looks a good alternative.

I also have the Clearviewer on the GR and it suits me fine.

Tony

Ulfric Douglas

The clearviewer + GR goes in a pocket?
any chance of a photo series showing how this works?

My pocketable is an e-P1 with original 17mm pancake and home-made OVF.

Ulfric,

If you look here you will see what it looks like:-
ClearView Product page

I took it on a cruise at Christmas. In the evening I put it in my jacket pocket with ease.

In the day time it was in a small canvas soft cover and that went into my shorts pocket with no problem.

No you would not get it into a pair of jeans - but even a money wallet struggles.

The good thing about the Clearviewer is that you see all the info on the screen such as exposure and focus. I had an optical viewfinder - it worked well but the screen info was missing of course.

I have just bought a Sigma DP and ordered a Clearviewer for that.

Tony