Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Picture with DLux4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First Picture with DLux4

Hi there
    I've been considering, and it just seemed to happen

I bought it on the way over to Holland - it's possible I'll never get back to England, I got to the tunnel and realised I had no passport . . . the French customs accepted my driver's license, whether the English immigration will on the way home on Friday is a moot point

anyway, here is a shot taken from my restaurant table this evening in bergen op zoom.

400 ISO etc. etc.

incidentally, in case anyone was wondering, I bought the Leica because I can just about manage to do my processing in C1 . . . Silkypix is a step too far!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First Picture with DLux4

It is sweet in low light, eh? 24/2 is a good thing. The video is pretty nice as well.

The only downside is relative...I've been shooting more with the Pentax and while the files out of the DLux4 are good, they aren't as good as an APS-C file. Just like the APS-C aren't as good as the FF.

Well, "good" isn't the right word. "Differently abled" perhaps

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    It is sweet in low light, eh? 24/2 is a good thing. The video is pretty nice as well.

The only downside is relative...I've been shooting more with the Pentax and while the files out of the DLux4 are good, they aren't as good as an APS-C file. Just like the APS-C aren't as good as the FF.

Well, "good" isn't the right word. "Differently abled" perhaps
    Hi Todd
    It does seem sweet. I'm not expecting miracles (so maybe I'll be pleased). I just wanted something which I really could fit in a coat pocket (and the little box in my space challenged car).

The combination of the fast lens and the decent ISO really does seem to be a good thing, and it seems to be workable without too much time in the manual!

Certainly, the files aren't as good as things with much better sensors (how should they be), but sometimes compromises are worth having, and this does look like quite a good one.

thanks for posting.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Todd
    It does seem sweet. I'm not expecting miracles (so maybe I'll be pleased). I just wanted something which I really could fit in a coat pocket (and the little box in my space challenged car).

The combination of the fast lens and the decent ISO really does seem to be a good thing, and it seems to be workable without too much time in the manual!

Certainly, the files aren't as good as things with much better sensors (how should they be), but sometimes compromises are worth having, and this does look like quite a good one.

thanks for posting.
    That is exactly the sweet spot for this camera I think. I loved my DLux3, but it struggled in low light. The DLux4 handles night time and indoor shots without breaking much of a sweat. Plus I love being able to switch between 16:9, 3:2, and 4:3 right on the lens and have it instantly reflected in the LCD.

Here is a low light example. This was taken at a party last weekend with the only light coming from the pool light and the string lights. I don't have a large version of it to post right now (the one downside - for raw I'm using RawDeveloper and don't have a proper workflow down), but the color is quite nice and it has a nice grain to it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a low light example. This was taken at a party last weekend with the only light coming from the pool light and the string lights. I don't have a large version of it to post right now (the one downside - for raw I'm using RawDeveloper and don't have a proper workflow down), but the color is quite nice and it has a nice grain to it.

That's excellent - I'm using C1, it isn't my favorite, but I can live with it, and of course it does add the lens corrections (which, by the looks of it, raw developer doesn't).

I've been fiddling with workflow, and for now I'm shooting RAW only, converting to highest quality JPG in the same folder, and then finishing and keywording in Aperture . . . if they do the raw support later it'll be easy to change the files around. It's an extra step, but not too onerous. Of course, when I take a real winner I can easily convert to tiff instead (currently projected as sometime in 2010!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

That's excellent - I'm using C1, it isn't my favorite, but I can live with it, and of course it does add the lens corrections (which, by the looks of it, raw developer doesn't).

I've been fiddling with workflow, and for now I'm shooting RAW only, converting to highest quality JPG in the same folder, and then finishing and keywording in Aperture . . . if they do the raw support later it'll be easy to change the files around. It's an extra step, but not too onerous. Of course, when I take a real winner I can easily convert to tiff instead (currently projected as sometime in 2010!).
    I actually was shooting mostly jpg so that I could use Aperture, but have done some raw since buying RD. I think that Aperture has to support the format soon, as Panasonic seems to be selling a fair amount of the LX3s. Of course with our luck they'd support the LX3 and not the DL4.

At first I was annoyed about the whole barrel distortion thing, but I don't really care at this point. I think that having it in (like the shot above) actually works depending of course on the shot. It would be nice to have a checkbox in the software to turn it off...not sure how Aperture will deal with that.

I just couldn't relate to C1 so I don't use it. Hopefully Apple will get off the pot and add support soon. I have to admit that iPhoto09 is looking interesting though. I'd love to try the face recognition feature and see if it actually works. But it likely still won't deal with large libraries so it would be more of a side project thing. You have to think that Aperture will get the feature soon though, perhaps as a plugin.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually was shooting mostly jpg so that I could use Aperture, but have done some raw since buying RD. I think that Aperture has to support the format soon, as Panasonic seems to be selling a fair amount of the LX3s. Of course with our luck they'd support the LX3 and not the DL4.

At first I was annoyed about the whole barrel distortion thing, but I don't really care at this point. I think that having it in (like the shot above) actually works depending of course on the shot. It would be nice to have a checkbox in the software to turn it off...not sure how Aperture will deal with that.

I just couldn't relate to C1 so I don't use it. Hopefully Apple will get off the pot and add support soon. I have to admit that iPhoto09 is looking interesting though. I'd love to try the face recognition feature and see if it actually works. But it likely still won't deal with large libraries so it would be more of a side project thing. You have to think that Aperture will get the feature soon though, perhaps as a plugin.
    It might be worth persevering with C1, as it COMPLETELY removes any barrel distortion automatically - if I don't lose my internet connection I'll post a picture in a minute of my hotel bedroom showing the point.

I suspect that Aperture will support the leica first (history) but I doubt if they will do the automatic lens correction.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RAW file processed in C1
    Look at at that barrel distortion!
    Incidentally, that isn't moustache distortion either, the ceiling is a bit wonky!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I either did these in C1 or shot them jpg - can't remember. But this is all at night as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh folks out there,

i could not resist. I bought my D-lux 4 yesterday from a local LEICA Shop. That was pure fun and joy... I prefered the D-Lux over the Pana LX3 due some strong facts:

1. I got one additional Year warranty. Now it is extended to 3 full Years
    2. I got the terrible choice to choose between two leatherboxes. Brown or Black. The boxes are really strong build and have excellent IQ. I took the black for free. It was a LEICA sales action !
    3. I love the IQ of the D-Lux 4 much more. Looks like a small M with its snapin lid. And the hotshoe ( Oly Flashes work !! )
    4. It chassis is so clearly designed, so clean and even. Like to touch it...
    5. My GRD cried: DON´T DO THAT OR I WILL DIE.

It is for sure the end of my beloved little GRD.... so sorry my love...your batteries fit into the D-Lux4

Macro shot with D-LUX4...

Attachment 10669

Post Thanks / Like

nice image kweide. Indeed the D-lux4 is a smarter camera dressed in its all metal construction will put the Ricoh GRD in it place.

Wish I could have a D-lux4, but the additional cost over the LX3 was a bit too much for my budget. And oh, my LX3 has 3 yr warranty too, thx to American Express, hehe

Mazor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been working, and anyway, it's been very foggy and cold here in Holland. I did manage to get out of the hotel for half an hour tonight after supper:
    The end of the Bergen op Zoom icerink

and of course, since we are in Holland . . . bicycles:

It certainly does seem to do the job.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I like the bicycles. It does seem to excel at nighttime photos especially if there is fairly high dynamic range. And that green has no business being that rich given the lighting. I wouldn't necessarily expect that, but I think it is just a very good lens, even considering the barrel distortion.

meilicke

Fun with using manual flash and a cheap wireless trigger:
    Attachment 10680

The ferry dock:
    Attachment 10681

This is certainly the most flexible fixed lens camera I have used. Shooting movie clips at 24mm is almost worth the price of entry!

Warm regards,
    -Scott

Post Thanks / Like

D-Lux 4 Macro with Metz58 AF-1 O ( Oly-Version ) bounced...
    Yes, i am impressed.

Attachment 10683

Post Thanks / Like

I found a brand new LX3 for $359. Pretty hard to justify what Leica charges over that, esp as I'll only be shooting RAW and converting in LR. The LX3 leather case (if you can find one) is much nicer than the Leica - old school bottom and fully removable top.

But anyway, I find the camera (either version) to be the most fun I've had with a new camera in a long while. Having a 24mm f/2.0 lens one can stuff in their pocket is revolutionary. It's just a daily stuff in your pocket kind of camera for me, not one I would take on a trip or try and do serious work with. But the low light capabilities are really nice with the combo of the f/2.0 lens and the OIS.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working in Holland.
    Lots of meetings, very little time for pictures, but such beautiful weather.
    These were all taken around Moerdijk.

Staying in Bergen op Zoom:

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Love the bicycle pic Jono.

I'm finding the files need a bit of a bump in tone curve and sharpening (from RAW in LR). Sure is a fun camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Another. Gotta love that 24! These are at 400. I find some definite noise creeping in (esp compared to M8 at 320 or D3 at.... 1600!) But I don't find it objectionable. Haven't done any prints yet but that's not really why I got this camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I purchase the LX3 and am very happy. The pictures posted in thread look great.

Post Thanks / Like

D-Lux 4 goes shopping...

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the position to compare two damn small digicams, the Ricoh GRD and the Leica D-Lux 4.
    My very first impression was, that the DL4 produces fine crisp images. But yesterday evening and today in the morning i found out some annoying things.

Shot JPGS with ISO400, NR set to -2, -1, 0, +1, +2
    at F2, 2.5 and 16:9 mode with the DL4 and ISO400 F2.4 with GRD

The JGPs compared with the GRD JPGs are full of noise reduction artifacts. Even reducing NR in STD Film mode to -2 shows massive smearing in fine details structures where the GRD file were absolutly fine !! That means NR reduction is active although -2 is dialed in. I would wish: NR OFF
    When shooting in RAW the DL4 shows a differnet quality. Suddenly the JPG artifacts are not shown and fine details are visible again without massive smearing but smearing did NOT disappear..!.
    The conclusion is easy: the build in JPG engine is, hmm lets say it politly, suboptimal... Here is massive room for improvement.

Shoot RAW only with DL4 and i assume LX3 as well ... JPG engine is worth nothing...but keep in mind: even in RAW seems to be some NR actions causing ligth smeareffects.

... under further investigations....

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, link lost

D-Lux4 goes shopping...

Post Thanks / Like

lve the motion blur of people while the background remains sharp , thx of course to Mega OIS!!

mazor

Post Thanks / Like

Developed from RAW...
    Now trying different settings against smearing in highISO
    Trying the GRD trick ...

Post Thanks / Like

To avoid any smearing in fine details: ( Tested in STD Film mode )

Contrast -2
    Saturation -2
    NR -2

Sharpnes what ever you like
    Effect: You will get unsaturated, flat looking pics mit very nice looking grain.
    With any NR Software easy removable without smearings....
    Saturations and contrast : bump it up to whatever you like AFTER NR removal
    The clue is indeed the in cam NR. It is much to aggressiv...

Have fun, i have....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    To avoid any smearing in fine details: ( Tested in STD Film mode )

Contrast -2
    Saturation -2
    NR -2

Sharpnes what ever you like
    Effect: You will get unsaturated, flat looking pics mit very nice looking grain.
    With any NR Software easy removable without smearings....
    Saturations and contrast : bump it up to whatever you like AFTER NR removal
    The clue is indeed the in cam NR. It is much to aggressiv...

Have fun, i have....
    Hi There
    Is this when shooting jpg? or when shooting RAW. If it's when shooting RAW, which converter are you using?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono

I discovered this "smeareffect" firsttime while shooting JPGs with high ISO ( 400+800 ) It is in the luminance channel in dark areas ( black mouse, black cover of my ThinkPad )
    It is indeed the NR setting. DO NOT leave it in "0" position when you want high quality pics. Even in RAW you will get strange artifacts which can be removed with NR software. Look at the luminance! The better way is to set in cam NR to at least -1 better -2, even in RAW and let your NR Software do the rest.
    You can leave it in "0" position when working with ISO 80 for 10x15cm prints
    Ah, forget to say: worked it out with LR2.2 and noiseware professional

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono

smeareffect seems to be only available in JPG . RAW looks good...
    Conclusion: NR Settings in cam might have no influence on the RAW-File

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are using Lightroom for RAW files, does it implement the lens correction.

For instance, if you process a RAW file in Capture 1, there will be zero barrel distortion, but some other programs will show really quite bad distortion.

I rather understood that Lightroom doesn't yet include it (but I could be wrong).

I don't have lightroom, so I can't test it, but you could try taking a shot of something square at 24mm, then process it in Capture one and Lightroom and check on the distortion.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono

... solved.

But, it was not a problem of barrel distortion. I took pics with 24 mm and f2 of some very fine structures. On high ISO the cam internal noise grains had nearly the same size then the fine structures from the objects. Effect was that the in cam NR smeared them all together to some kind of color mud...
    Lets say its a charcteristic of the cam i can live with especially i do RAW only on high ISO !

Post Thanks / Like

If you are using Lightroom for RAW files, does it implement the lens correction.

For instance, if you process a RAW file in Capture 1, there will be zero barrel distortion, but some other programs will show really quite bad distortion.

I rather understood that Lightroom doesn't yet include it (but I could be wrong).

I don't have lightroom, so I can't test it, but you could try taking a shot of something square at 24mm, then process it in Capture one and Lightroom and check on the distortion.
    See my pics above, processed in LR. No barrel distortion. The complaint is actually the opposite: LR currently doesn't allow you to retain the barrel distortion, it automatically applies the correction. Why some would want this otherwise I don't know but they do.

kelvin

Nice colors, Klaus.

Post Thanks / Like

Writing the blue .... s

Attachment 10946

Post Thanks / Like

Nightshot...
    Train Station

Post Thanks / Like

Nightshot

Fish and chips

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kweide View Post
    Writing the blue .... s
    Ceci n'est pas une plume!
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Ceci n'est pas une plume!

Post Thanks / Like

... drove thru...

Post Thanks / Like

... did a macro. Just a few centimeters away....

Post Thanks / Like

.. been paid...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Embalmed Oak

or there is the colour version of course:

Last edited by jonoslack; 8th February 2009 at 11:48. Reason: to add colour verson

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Broken tree

Post Thanks / Like

Winter came back. Early morning pano.

Post Thanks / Like

... unplugged

The end of a working day...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm adding a few of my first shots to the thread. I was relegated to staying indoors because of the weather this weekend. I applied minimum post processing in LR 2.2 (mostly color conversions and slight color adjustments.)

Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HiredArm.... Welcome

Well I see for a First Post
    Your Creating Quite a Stir with that Little DLux 4
    Cigars & a Gun and Your Chosen Name....

Hope Your on My Team... Gangsta Photo Land

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    HiredArm.... Welcome

Well I see for a First Post
    Your Creating Quite a Stir with that Little DLux 4
    Cigars & a Gun and Your Chosen Name....

Hope Your on My Team... Gangsta Photo Land
    Thank you. I've been here at GetDPI for a little while and posted some other (read: more peaceful) photos in my gallery. I was just testing the close up abilities though since it won't stop raining in California.

Oh yeah and it's not so much gangsta as military for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Lost beauty

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice.