The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 1020 to get RAW image output!

scho

I downloaded the sample 1020 dng files from the Nokia site and at least the cat sample image is quite impressive. The 34 mp 16:9 original dng is 43 mb on disk. Processed the raw dng in LR5 and looks very good. Here are screen grabs from LR of the full image and a 100% crop. Click for full size.

mazor

Carl did u apply no noise reduction to the image? although extremely detailed, it does have a lot of noise grain. The noise I guess can be considered as filmic? What do you think.

scho

Carl did u apply no noise reduction to the image? although extremely detailed, it does have a lot of noise grain. The noise I guess can be considered as filmic? What do you think.
No, but I'm not seeing a lot of noise in this image. But, here is another with some luminance NR applied.

Last edited:

mazor

no the noise is only visible when viewing your cropped image 1:1. Guess cannot complain after al we are looking into 1.1 micron pixels ;)

Nether the less the amount of detail resolved in that shot is phenomenal coming from a smartphone handset. I dare say none of the competing brands can even come close to the resolving power of the 41mp sensor.

lke the way you processed the image, excellent saturation without being overdone :)

scho

no the noise is only visible when viewing your cropped image 1:1. Guess cannot complain after al we are looking into 1.1 micron pixels ;)

Nether the less the amount of detail resolved in that shot is phenomenal coming from a smartphone handset. I dare say none of the competing brands can even come close to the resolving power of the 41mp sensor.

lke the way you processed the image, excellent saturation without being overdone :)
Thanks Mazor. Yes, I agree the image quality coming from that sensor is amazing. I hope that Nokia/AT&T don't hold off too long with the raw update, but I don't know how many raws I'll be able to keep on the phone at 40mb+ each and I guess wireless upload to Skydrive won't be possible either. They really should have provided sd card capability.

mazor

Yes, I cannot understand why they did not release the 1020 with a memory expansion card slot, nor can I understand why the Nokia 1520 released only 3 months later does have an external memory expansion card slot!

What is going on here. I can forgive the 1020 for having a the slower dual core CPU, but what gives with the 1520 having the state of the art Snapdragon 800 quad core CPU with dedicated instructions for hardware processing high resolution sensors. This would have shaved off shot to shot times which seems to be an issue with the 1020.