The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IPad snaps.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello all,

Got myself an iPad mini with Retina display. What a delightful toy.

Used the camera at the Apple shop in Bath, and it is better, I think, than I expected.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I am having some difficulty posting from the iPad.
First I was unable to attach more than one image, and secondly, as you see, the image is upside down.
Back to the drawing board.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Take two. I rotated the image before attaching!
Oh dear it's still upside down.
I'm off for a stiff whisky.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I decided to think out of the box, and took a snap with the iPad the other way up, now with the home button/shutter on the RH side.
Fingers crossed.

tbhv55

Another nice set - and you do seem to have got the hang of this Silver Efex processing malarkey rather well! So, these were taken on this iPad thingy? How does it stack up overall against the RX100?

BTW, good to see that you've managed to get upright again, after your recent encounter with the firewater...;):D

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Another nice set - and you do seem to have got the hang of this Silver Efex processing malarkey rather well! So, these were taken on this iPad thingy? How does it stack up overall against the RX100?

BTW, good to see that you've managed to get upright again, after your recent encounter with the firewater...;):D
Hi, Thanks. Only the black and white shot of the human was Silver Efex. Others were with Snapspeed app on the iPad. Snapspeed is another great app which seems tailor-made for me;)

I think overall the RX100 has the edge on quality:grin: but the iPad is such a tremendously fun thing to play with and such a convenient little communications thingy that it is difficult to use anything else at the moment:eek:

Anyway here is a classic example of the kitchen table studio genre (it says here), lit with a single overhead/behind light bulb with two subtle little bits of tinfoil reflector to each side.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..and a crop. Not bad quality!

This is a Scots Pine cone. It's 37 years old and you won't see another like it. It is hollow. Under natural conditions it would open up to allow the seeds to scatter. So I took all the little segments off one by one, hollowed it out, then re-glued the bits together jigsaw fashion. Each segment is unique.

Ah, dem halcyon days.:cry:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..the iPad mini with Retina display is a cross between Bruce Chatwin's moleskin note book and Wilfred Thesiger's Leica(well, almost):ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

mazor

impressive crops images gandolfi. It shows the iPad can indeed be a replacement for your point and shoot camera :)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Mazor,

That lemon was not a crop but this one is!

I've only just realised why this is so much fun. What I have with this iPad is a point and shoot 5 x 4 camera, but without having to use a dark cloth:)

I am going away for a few days, and will be taking both my high and low class p/s cameras and it will be interesting to see which gets used the most.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

mazor

the iPad revolution is upon us!! Already when I visit tourist sites, I see people whip out their full size iPADs to capture the moment rather than a point and shoot camera.

Have you tried using the latest Nokia Lumia 1520? It sports a 6" IPS display, is a smart phone and has an amazing 20MP sensor paired with Zeiss optics, and best thing is that is can capture JPG and DNG RAW simultaneously!