The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stylus 1 RAW (my second attempt at liking Olympus Viewer)

swandy

Decided to make another attempt to process some Stylus 1 RAW files using Olympus Viewer 3 (can't wait for Apple to update Aperture!!!!). Program is still slow and clunky in my eyes, but it does a nice job. Wanted to see if you could get more detail out of the RAW files - rather than OOC JPEGs. My grandson was sitting in some nice window light and took a bunch. These two were Aperture priority, f2.8 for both Shot RAW+JPEG. One "issue" of OV3 is it tries too hard to duplicate the OOC JPEG look - though I guess that is the whole point. Comparing the OOC JPEG to a JPEG exported from OV3 and the RAW file converted and then exported as JPEG from OV3 they are all very close. There looks like some slight (looking at 100%) increase of details in the RAW file. Please note - I did not change any of my standard in-camera settings (Noise Filter OFF, Gradation (NORMAL), Saturation/Contrast/Sharpness 0). Did not even apply any noise reduction afterwards. First shot is ISO 100, second was 800.

Overall, very happy with the camera. Upon inspecting some of the shots - even the low ISO ones - I agree that there is a bit of noise (again, I tend to turn off all noise reduction and prefer to apply it myself afterwards) when shots are viewed at 100% in the shadow areas. But considering that this is still considered a P&S small sensor camera I am very satisfied. Can't wait to get Aperture updated for the RAW files so I can do a more direct comparison with the XZ-1 and XZ-2 files that I have.