Site Sponsors

Thread: Fun with the Olympus Stylus 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fun with the Olympus Stylus 1

I just picked up the Stylus 1 and will post some images soon. I am very impressed so far with this pocketable camera. It's like a smaller OM-D with a really great f/2.8 28-300mm zoom lens. Ergonomics are super, as is build quality. Heck, it even comes with a wall-charger for the battery - a rarity these days. I bought it for an upcoming vacation where I will take candids and see whales, so I need the zoom reach and didn't want to take a big setup.

Post away...
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the Olympus Stylus 1

Brad,

I'll look forward to seeing those images, and perhaps your thoughts on how they compare to the output of the OM-Ds, if you have had the opportunity to use them. I'd been hoping it would have at least a 1" sensor, but I gather that is not the case. But the proof is in the pudding....

Thanks,

Rick

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried the Stylus 1 a few days ago, and struggled to keep my wallet in place. It's really a very sweet camera. Good luck with yours, Brad. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are two shots taken at opposite ends of the camera's zoom - 28mm and 300mm (35mm equiv.)
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:06.
    Brad Husick
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My initial impressions are that the Stylus 1 is not as good at producing images as the Sony RX100, but the zoom range is considerably longer. The Stylus 1 shots are a bit soft and lacking detail and the corners are soft and there's CA. If the IQ of new shots doesn't improve in the next week this is going back to B&H.

I will be renting the Sony RX10 shortly and seeing if it gives me the combination of IQ and zoom I am looking for in a travel package. It's a lot larger than the Stylus 1 but I will see if it's manageable.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Stylus 1 went back to B&H today.

I visited a local dealer and handled the Sony RX10. Build quality is very good but it still feels a bit plasticy. Zoom lens has fine optics, but power zoom is slow and twist zoom is still by wire. This is also a no-go for me.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For my upcoming trip my camera will be a Nikon 1 V1 with a few lenses - the superb 18.5mm, the 10-30 and the 30-110. A tiny package considering the range covered.
    Brad Husick