The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Olympus Stylus 1

bradhusick

I just picked up the Stylus 1 and will post some images soon. I am very impressed so far with this pocketable camera. It's like a smaller OM-D with a really great f/2.8 28-300mm zoom lens. Ergonomics are super, as is build quality. Heck, it even comes with a wall-charger for the battery - a rarity these days. I bought it for an upcoming vacation where I will take candids and see whales, so I need the zoom reach and didn't want to take a big setup.

Post away...

Brad,

I'll look forward to seeing those images, and perhaps your thoughts on how they compare to the output of the OM-Ds, if you have had the opportunity to use them. I'd been hoping it would have at least a 1" sensor, but I gather that is not the case. But the proof is in the pudding....

Thanks,

Rick

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I tried the Stylus 1 a few days ago, and struggled to keep my wallet in place. It's really a very sweet camera. Good luck with yours, Brad. Looking forward to seeing some photos.

bradhusick

Here are two shots taken at opposite ends of the camera's zoom - 28mm and 300mm (35mm equiv.)

Last edited:

bradhusick

My initial impressions are that the Stylus 1 is not as good at producing images as the Sony RX100, but the zoom range is considerably longer. The Stylus 1 shots are a bit soft and lacking detail and the corners are soft and there's CA. If the IQ of new shots doesn't improve in the next week this is going back to B&H.

I will be renting the Sony RX10 shortly and seeing if it gives me the combination of IQ and zoom I am looking for in a travel package. It's a lot larger than the Stylus 1 but I will see if it's manageable.

bradhusick

The Stylus 1 went back to B&H today.

I visited a local dealer and handled the Sony RX10. Build quality is very good but it still feels a bit plasticy. Zoom lens has fine optics, but power zoom is slow and twist zoom is still by wire. This is also a no-go for me.

bradhusick

For my upcoming trip my camera will be a Nikon 1 V1 with a few lenses - the superb 18.5mm, the 10-30 and the 30-110. A tiny package considering the range covered.