Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conclusions on GRD2 vs GX100

Mitch Alland

Re: Conclusions on GRD2 vs GX100

Post Thanks / Like

Is Adorama the only US seller of the Ricoh GX100 or GRD2? They are the only seller I can find.

Thanks,
    Otto...

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Rose at Popflash is awesome.
    http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=...parent=39&pg=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got my GX-100 from Tony and recommend that everyone else does too. He is the best camera dealer in the US; I say that as someone who buys way too many cameras. Anyway, I got the GX-100 from him around Christmas and I love it. Here is an example using the 24mm lens and snap focus. Having the extra wide is really nice. This was taken with the camera upside down, right near the other person. I could not have taken this with an M camera or a non-silent, compact camera...the GX100 and GRD2 really open up new avenues in terms of street photography. Anyway, this was on the N train a few days ago...I love when the subways go above ground.

Mitch Alland

I like the feeling of space, including the barrel distortion: a good example of using a camera's faults for aesthetic purposes. Is this from JPG or RAW?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

gromitspapa, and Stuart Richardson,

Thanks to both of you for the recommendation. I will check it out. Stuart, that is a great shot, and the type of photography I aspire to.

Thanks again, and good shooting,
    Otto...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7ian7 View Post
    When I first purchased my Hexar, back in the day, I only used it on manual exposure. One day out in LA, I put it on aperture priority in order to photograph a friend's kids around his swimming pool. The results were so dead-on that I continued using it that way all the time. It was pure, hesitation-free-yet-no-compromise shooting. It'll be fun when these little cameras really get to that place.
    Ian,
    Regarding the Hexar; my sentiments exactly.
    My Hexar is still with me, and is pretty much the only film camera that I still use.
    The GRD has not quite the same speed and surety of focus, but its smaller form factor go a long way in making up for that.

7ian7

Plus, Lili, images from the Ricohs actually make it to print, whereas the film stuff tends to pile up in unprinted boxes of contacts — or tended to, since even though I still own my Hexar (and my Pentax 6x7, and my Pentax K1000, and ....), I rarely use it at this point.

Sean, I love the idea of a focus wheel. If I understand the DP-1 concept, it sounds like a "step-focus", to use a Ricoh analogy. Does it have to be that way? Couldn't the wheel simply focus the camera freely, to approximate focussing a lens?

7ian7

Oh I get it — a marked distance wheel, which wouldn't preclude focussing between those guidelines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    I like the feeling of space, including the barrel distortion: a good example of using a camera's faults for aesthetic purposes. Is this from JPG or RAW?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Thanks Mitch. It is from JPEG. I was actually shooting RAW, but the battery was almost completely dead and the camera shut off during the writing of the RAW file, luckily I was doing raw plus jpeg, or there would not have been a picture at all!

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by 7ian7 View Post
    Oh I get it — a marked distance wheel, which wouldn't preclude focussing between those guidelines.
    Exactly, a thumbwheel of sorts (location would need to be figured out by designers) with a proper level of resistance so that it could be moved by the thumb but would also tend to stay where set. Perhaps there could also be a lock button which, if the photographer desired, could securely fix that wheel at a given setting. It would otherwise move freely between min focus and infinity, like the focusing ring on a lens barrel. One could line the indicator up at one meter, 1.5 meters, etc. It would be one of those fast, analog-esque type of controls that have always worked well on cameras.

Cheers,

Sean
    Last edited by Sean_Reid; 13th January 2008 at 09:58.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Anyway, this was on the N train a few days ago...I love when the subways go above ground.
    Yes, suddenly there's all that light. I worked on several thousand pictures on subways, in NYC and Budapest, Hungary, in the early 1990s. As Walker Evans pointed out, its a very rich subject.

BTW, for those who are interested, I'm hoping the GR2 review will be up in the next couple of hours. These articles always take forever to finish and prep for Flash.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's one of my favorite subjects as well. I took my favorite photo while waiting for the above-ground subway in Sapporo. One of the reasons I loved it there was because my part of the subway was elevated...it's such an elegant way to travel.
    here is that photo...

By the way, I am very much looking forward to your review, Sean.

7ian7

An ergonomically viable manual focus on a Ricoh would be fantastic.

Nice pictures.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean's review is up!

Sean_Reid

Hi Maggie,

Yes, thank you, it is finally up. Maybe we should start a separate thread if people want to discuss it.

Best,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

First post here on this excellent forum.

Has anyone any experience of Drive Mode on the GX100?

I understand that S-CONT setting produces up to 16 shots in 2 seconds whilst the shutter is depressed and M-CONT records images whilst the shutter is depressed and only saves the last 16 images taken over the previous 2 seconds when the shutter is released.

I can't see that this facility has been added to the GRD2.

Nigel Rea

hiro

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Rea View Post
    Has anyone any experience of Drive Mode on the GX100?

I understand that S-CONT setting produces up to 16 shots in 2 seconds whilst the shutter is depressed and M-CONT records images whilst the shutter is depressed and only saves the last 16 images taken over the previous 2 seconds when the shutter is released.
    I haven't used that mode on the GX100 myself, but you should note that all 16 images are stored as a single image file, in other words the individual frames will only be 912x684 pixels. Useful for some purposes no doubt (e.g. Muybridge type shots), but not suitable if you are wanting to pick out a full size image of a specific moment, in which case you'd have to use the conventional continuous shoot mode.

stnami

lucridders
    Count the people on the ricoh forums, you will see hat you only find the same names, promoting their way of shooting.
    I don't really think that it is totally about "their way of shooting", but the cameras in question do have a certain footprint that can be overbearing, I guess that is why certain people choose the camera. That almost heavy feel is always there in the images, the cameras don't have a sense of light, the Oly 5050 7070 were similar in the images those cameras produced. There is definite characteristic.

I had a GRD and sold it for the reasons above, I ended up with a Epson Rd-1 as it gave me a lot more scope, the so called Ricoh/Tri-X look I can get with my PP presets and I can still head off in another direction with the RAW file. Plus small has never been a criteria for a camera to me. But you will notice that people here are comfortable with what the Ricoh produce, if it helps them then it's a positive. Me, I am not convinced if the GRD II is mature enough to challenge the film GR1...........

I quetioned the images in Sean's review, he didn't seem to have a problem with my view, I doubt if he saw it the way I called it but there was no negative from him. Hey lots of people disagree with me, pretty normal

Player

lucridders, I'm curious, why the constant negativity? Nothing about these cameras is as negative as you portray, which causes a reader to dismiss your comments, even the rare truthful tidbits.

Extreme stances never render the truth, whether positive or negative. How about you giving-in a little bit and trying to have more balanced comments, and as a result getting closer to the truth, and gaining some credibilty?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucridders,
    You say these forums are all about the same folks all promoting their way of shooting.
    I see a wide range of styles being posted here, some that glory in noise/grain and others that show not a trace of it, either through post process or simply straight from the camera.
    It is true that many here post B&W images but I must ask whats wrong with that?
    The Ricohs are exceptional in the degree of in-camera image control they provide and so lend themselves to this media.
    For me, I find their color palette remarkable and glory in the color far more than ever I did with film.

In brief my friend, I fear the percieved negativity of your posts leads to them being dismissed out of hand at best.
    And that would be a shame; is not discussion far more stimulating than debate?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Lucridders,
    You say these forums are all about the same folks all promoting their way of shooting.
    I see a wide range of styles being posted here, some that glory in noise/grain and others that show not a trace of it, either through post process or simply straight from the camera.
    It is true that many here post B&W images but I must ask whats wrong with that?
    The Ricohs are exceptional in the degree of in-camera image control they provide and so lend themselves to this media.
    For me, I find their color palette remarkable and glory in the color far more than ever I did with film.

In brief my friend, I fear the percieved negativity of your posts leads to them being dismissed out of hand at best.
    And that would be a shame; is not discussion far more stimulating than debate?

From the Admin side of the house I agree 100 percent about discussion than debate. Let's keep it friendly folks. Thanks Guy

This image is pretty amazing coming from the Ricoh it really held that backlight very well. I would not have expected that. Well done
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Player

Wow Lili, that's a dizzying shot. Great job!

I'm using my GRD for color too: I still shoot b&w film, print in my darkroom, and sometimes scan and print digitally. Thanks for posting!

Caer

Quote Originally Posted by lucridders View Post
    For me it is more important to judge a camera without taking care of a shooting style.
    I don't understand this. The whole reason I bought a GRD2 is precisely because it is highly suited to a specific shooting and image style. I don't do photoshoots with it and I don't shoot gigs with it. I do take it out on the streets where its size and quietness and light weight make it ideal in this environment. The rougher look that results from it compared to the larger sensor in my Pentax K10D is not an issue here; sometimes it's even appropriate to the image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have one of these Ricohs and maybe i should but what i do see from a pro point of view is there is a lot you can do with these files and i love what some folks are doing with them in B&W and color with punchy contrast or increasing the noise out for that grungy look. Or just straight from the camera. Great stuff folks , really like the images you folks are posting and how you are getting the results you are getting. Frankly this is what makes photography fun, keep it up. Also remember to not forget about the image processing forum be nice to share your techniques with folks.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    From the Admin side of the house I agree 100 percent about discussion than debate. Let's keep it friendly folks. Thanks Guy

This image is pretty amazing coming from the Ricoh it really held that backlight very well. I would not have expected that. Well done
    Guy,
    Thank you! the Ricoh has surprised me, I got it planning for B&W and ended up shooting in a completely new palette.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Player View Post
    Wow Lili, that's a dizzying shot. Great job!

I'm using my GRD for color too: I still shoot b&w film, print in my darkroom, and sometimes scan and print digitally. Thanks for posting!
    Player,
    Thanks you so much! Its good to know another experienced the GRD in the same way.
    I has really opened my eyes to color.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gorgeous shot, Lili! wonderful perspective! i love looking at what others do as it shows how versatile the camera is. i'm afraid i rarely have the patience to stand still long enough to compose such a beautiful image. perhaps when the weather gets nicer.... was this RAW?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    gorgeous shot, Lili! wonderful perspective! i love looking at what others do as it shows how versatile the camera is. i'm afraid i rarely have the patience to stand still long enough to compose such a beautiful image. perhaps when the weather gets nicer.... was this RAW?
    Cam,
    Thank you! No this was shot as JPEG, no PP'ing. I still have a steep learning curve facing me on PP as well as RAW.
    This shot using Moderate Sharpness, Highest Saturation, and, I think, Moderate Contrast at ISO 64, -0.7 EV.
    Used the GW-1 so it was shot at 4.4mm, F5 and 1/660 sec.
    No hood either, I really dislike the hood included with the GW-1, very hard to install and even harder to get on straight
    But I love the lens
    And the degree of in-camera image control the GRD series offers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

River Blackwater - GRD II

Usually, though it is muddy brown.

Bertie

wbrandsma

Stuart and Lili, you posted excellent images. Both the B&W and color photos are really beautiful.
    This image was made in jpeg and the only PP was some additional contrast. I compensated with 0.7 EV. The 24 mm is very useful for different perspectives.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert,
    I love the delicacy of that reflected sky!
    Wouter,
    You make that 24 sing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wouter,
    You make that 24 sing!
    Wouter makes everything sing!

Lili, thanks for getting back to me on the JPEG thing. i now have both GRDs and i forget sometimes how gorgeous the JPEGs are out of the original. sigh. i've gotten somewhat addicted to the speed of the GRDII.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouter makes everything sing!

Lili, thanks for getting back to me on the JPEG thing. i now have both GRDs and i forget sometimes how gorgeous the JPEGs are out of the original. sigh. i've gotten somewhat addicted to the speed of the GRDII.
    You are most welcome! It seems that the GRD is the better JPEG machine and the GRD II really makes great RAW fast.
    I am a complete noob at PP still so the GRD suits me for now.
    I will likely get the GRDII just for RAW eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are most welcome! It seems that the GRD is the better JPEG machine and the GRD II really makes great RAW fast.
    I am a complete noob at PP still so the GRD suits me for now.
    I will likely get the GRDII just for RAW eventually.
    i'm comfortable with PP, but often want to use the bracketing or continuous mode on the camera which means i'm stuck with JPEG. there's no doubt that the original does those better. i'm just stuck with low light and crappy weather right now so i'm going with the GRDII. come sun, i'll probably go back to my GRD. and one of them will get the 40mm adaptor if they ever show up here. (i will not be wearing them both around my neck, however. i'd topple over

Mitch Alland

Lili, Robert:

Fantastic colours in both of your photographs.

—Mitch/Windhoek

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lili, Robert:

Fantastic colours in both of your photographs.

—Mitch/Windhoek
    Danke, Mitch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For those that are not shooting Raw dare i say you should think about doing one of our workshops. We really teach a lot about Raw processing and coming after Moab we look to be doing Carmel, Ca. and that one will be shooting , raw processing AND a printing workshop. Than we look to be doing San Juan , Puerto Rico which we will be doing street shooting and raw processing workshop.

Sorry that was a small advertisement but seriously this is a great way to learn raw processing, we honestly do a awesome job on teaching this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GUY
    San Juan sounds Great ......
    When will that be / any approx date ?? Cheers - Helen
    How bout Amsterdam ? Flowers & Brownies......

Post Thanks / Like

GRD2 40 MPH
    Not a shot I would take with another camera.

Attachment 1173

Best,

Mitchell
    Last edited by Mitchell; 20th January 2008 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, Mitch: thanks for your kind comments.

I posted this to counterbalance any tendency for the GRD to be thought of as a B/W street camera - yet it is the least worst of my attempts over the years to capture this scene - this is a straight from the camera jpg [albeit size reduced] - I haven't yet tried to pp the DNG. [And if I could turn the jpg off, I would.]

Regards

[and enjoy Namibia, Mitch -- and don't get pneumonia, Lili ]

Bertie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eigernordwand/North face of the Eiger

Regards

Bertie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Eigernordwand/North face of the Eiger

Regards

Bertie
    gorgeous! oh my! (had to put it up again!) you just posted one of my biggest weaknesses.... i used to be a climber and always lusted after this face, even though i only did rock. sigh. i will dream tonight with your lovely image in my head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gorgeous! oh my! (had to put it up again!) you just posted one of my biggest weaknesses.... i used to be a climber and always lusted after this face, even though i only did rock. sigh. i will dream tonight with your lovely image in my head.
    Thanks for the kind words; and just to keep you lusting:

Sweet dreams

Bertie

Chuck A

Hey All,

These are some thoughts about making a decision about the GRDII and the GX100. Please, don't take anything that I have written as a strong criticism of the Ricoh cameras. They are a great achievement.

I have been watching for a while trying to decide between the GRDII and the GX100. After Seans review of the GRDII I have decided to wait and see. The GRDII is great except for the 28mm lens. I have no problem with a prime (that is all I use on my K10D) but 28mm is a bit wide for me and I am not impressed with the size and performance of the 40mm converter. A GRD40 would be perfect. I love the 1:1 RAW and the contols and firmware are great. I also like the zoom of the GX100 but want the RAW speed and the firmware of the GRDII. These cameras are not inexpensive and I have been looking for a long time to find a small sensor digital with the right balance of speed, firmware and image quality. I have also wasted alot of cash buying cameras and selling them later.

I need a less expensive small sensor digital with RAW and decent image quality to get though until a GRD40 or a GX200 comes along. Maggie O and the D-Lux 3 thread actually convinced me to take a close look at the D-Lux 3 or the Panny LX2. It has great IQ and while it doesn't satisfy my needs for a viewfinder and a RAW buffer, it is faster than the GX100. It is also much less expensive. That way I can probably sell it for close to what I bought it for if/when Ricoh brings out a camera that fills my needs. The small sensor format fits my photography very well. I owned an LC1 for a while and enjoyed it except for the size and the RAW speed. It was used to do some of my nicest work.

I have learned alot about these cameras from the folks here and made this decision based on much of what is written here. I am very impressed by the Ricoh cameras but they are expensive and they are evolving. My feeling is that the next generation will be the best.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Bertie,
    Lovely shots of the Eiger.
    I've not Climbed before but love mountains and snow.
    Very very well done!
    Cam,
    envy you climbing, even rock.
    Sadly I've a fear of heights, unless I am flying, then it seems to be different.
    Working on getting Sailplane license.
    lil'Ricoh will be going with me now

meilicke

Chuck,

I was going through a similar issue, which I posted about in another thread. In the end I went for a used GX100, in large part because I was not totally satisfied with either camera (GRDII & GX100) - they both have weaknesses that I care about. So it sounds like, for you, you made the right choice by getting a good camera that will keep you until you find something better. Have fun!

Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    GUY
    San Juan sounds Great ......
    When will that be / any approx date ?? Cheers - Helen
    How bout Amsterdam ? Flowers & Brownies......

Hoping for late April or early May.

Mitch Alland

Danke, Mitch
    Ja, Lili, hier wird deutsch oft gesprochen.

Here's the Windhoek sky at sunset (GRD2 | ISO 200):

—Mitch/Windhoek

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ja, Lili, hier wird deutsch oft gesprochen.

Here's the Windhoek sky at sunset (GRD2 | ISO 200):

—Mitch/Windhoek

Mitch, du hast solch einen reizenden Himmel gefangengenommen!

Sadly my German lapses from lack of practice