The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Conclusions on GRD2 vs GX100

S

Sean_Reid

Oh I get it — a marked distance wheel, which wouldn't preclude focussing between those guidelines.
Exactly, a thumbwheel of sorts (location would need to be figured out by designers) with a proper level of resistance so that it could be moved by the thumb but would also tend to stay where set. Perhaps there could also be a lock button which, if the photographer desired, could securely fix that wheel at a given setting. It would otherwise move freely between min focus and infinity, like the focusing ring on a lens barrel. One could line the indicator up at one meter, 1.5 meters, etc. It would be one of those fast, analog-esque type of controls that have always worked well on cameras.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

Anyway, this was on the N train a few days ago...I love when the subways go above ground.
Yes, suddenly there's all that light. I worked on several thousand pictures on subways, in NYC and Budapest, Hungary, in the early 1990s. As Walker Evans pointed out, its a very rich subject.

BTW, for those who are interested, I'm hoping the GR2 review will be up in the next couple of hours. These articles always take forever to finish and prep for Flash.

Cheers,

Sean

Stuart Richardson

It's one of my favorite subjects as well. I took my favorite photo while waiting for the above-ground subway in Sapporo. One of the reasons I loved it there was because my part of the subway was elevated...it's such an elegant way to travel.
here is that photo...

By the way, I am very much looking forward to your review, Sean.

7ian7

An ergonomically viable manual focus on a Ricoh would be fantastic.

Nice pictures.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Maggie,

Yes, thank you, it is finally up. Maybe we should start a separate thread if people want to discuss it.

Best,

Sean

Nigel Rea

Hi

First post here on this excellent forum.

Has anyone any experience of Drive Mode on the GX100?

I understand that S-CONT setting produces up to 16 shots in 2 seconds whilst the shutter is depressed and M-CONT records images whilst the shutter is depressed and only saves the last 16 images taken over the previous 2 seconds when the shutter is released.

I can't see that this facility has been added to the GRD2.

Nigel Rea

H

hiro

Has anyone any experience of Drive Mode on the GX100?

I understand that S-CONT setting produces up to 16 shots in 2 seconds whilst the shutter is depressed and M-CONT records images whilst the shutter is depressed and only saves the last 16 images taken over the previous 2 seconds when the shutter is released.
I haven't used that mode on the GX100 myself, but you should note that all 16 images are stored as a single image file, in other words the individual frames will only be 912x684 pixels. Useful for some purposes no doubt (e.g. Muybridge type shots), but not suitable if you are wanting to pick out a full size image of a specific moment, in which case you'd have to use the conventional continuous shoot mode.

S

stnami

lucridders
Count the people on the ricoh forums, you will see hat you only find the same names, promoting their way of shooting.
I don't really think that it is totally about "their way of shooting", but the cameras in question do have a certain footprint that can be overbearing, I guess that is why certain people choose the camera. That almost heavy feel is always there in the images, the cameras don't have a sense of light, the Oly 5050 7070 were similar in the images those cameras produced. There is definite characteristic.

I had a GRD and sold it for the reasons above, I ended up with a Epson Rd-1 as it gave me a lot more scope, the so called Ricoh/Tri-X look I can get with my PP presets and I can still head off in another direction with the RAW file. Plus small has never been a criteria for a camera to me. But you will notice that people here are comfortable with what the Ricoh produce, if it helps them then it's a positive. Me, I am not convinced if the GRD II is mature enough to challenge the film GR1...........

I quetioned the images in Sean's review, he didn't seem to have a problem with my view, I doubt if he saw it the way I called it but there was no negative from him. Hey lots of people disagree with me, pretty normal :thumbup:

P

Player

lucridders, I'm curious, why the constant negativity? Nothing about these cameras is as negative as you portray, which causes a reader to dismiss your comments, even the rare truthful tidbits.

Extreme stances never render the truth, whether positive or negative. How about you giving-in a little bit and trying to have more balanced comments, and as a result getting closer to the truth, and gaining some credibilty?

Lili

Lucridders,
You say these forums are all about the same folks all promoting their way of shooting.
I see a wide range of styles being posted here, some that glory in noise/grain and others that show not a trace of it, either through post process or simply straight from the camera.
It is true that many here post B&W images but I must ask whats wrong with that?
The Ricohs are exceptional in the degree of in-camera image control they provide and so lend themselves to this media.
For me, I find their color palette remarkable and glory in the color far more than ever I did with film.

In brief my friend, I fear the percieved negativity of your posts leads to them being dismissed out of hand at best.
And that would be a shame; is not discussion far more stimulating than debate?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Lucridders,
You say these forums are all about the same folks all promoting their way of shooting.
I see a wide range of styles being posted here, some that glory in noise/grain and others that show not a trace of it, either through post process or simply straight from the camera.
It is true that many here post B&W images but I must ask whats wrong with that?
The Ricohs are exceptional in the degree of in-camera image control they provide and so lend themselves to this media.
For me, I find their color palette remarkable and glory in the color far more than ever I did with film.

In brief my friend, I fear the percieved negativity of your posts leads to them being dismissed out of hand at best.
And that would be a shame; is not discussion far more stimulating than debate?

From the Admin side of the house I agree 100 percent about discussion than debate. Let's keep it friendly folks. Thanks Guy

This image is pretty amazing coming from the Ricoh it really held that backlight very well. I would not have expected that. Well done

P

Player

Wow Lili, that's a dizzying shot. Great job!

I'm using my GRD for color too: I still shoot b&w film, print in my darkroom, and sometimes scan and print digitally. Thanks for posting!

C

Caer

For me it is more important to judge a camera without taking care of a shooting style.
I don't understand this. The whole reason I bought a GRD2 is precisely because it is highly suited to a specific shooting and image style. I don't do photoshoots with it and I don't shoot gigs with it. I do take it out on the streets where its size and quietness and light weight make it ideal in this environment. The rougher look that results from it compared to the larger sensor in my Pentax K10D is not an issue here; sometimes it's even appropriate to the image.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I don't have one of these Ricohs and maybe i should but what i do see from a pro point of view is there is a lot you can do with these files and i love what some folks are doing with them in B&W and color with punchy contrast or increasing the noise out for that grungy look. Or just straight from the camera. Great stuff folks , really like the images you folks are posting and how you are getting the results you are getting. Frankly this is what makes photography fun, keep it up. Also remember to not forget about the image processing forum be nice to share your techniques with folks.

Lili

From the Admin side of the house I agree 100 percent about discussion than debate. Let's keep it friendly folks. Thanks Guy

This image is pretty amazing coming from the Ricoh it really held that backlight very well. I would not have expected that. Well done
Guy,
Thank you! the Ricoh has surprised me, I got it planning for B&W and ended up shooting in a completely new palette.

Lili

Wow Lili, that's a dizzying shot. Great job!

I'm using my GRD for color too: I still shoot b&w film, print in my darkroom, and sometimes scan and print digitally. Thanks for posting!
Player,
Thanks you so much! Its good to know another experienced the GRD in the same way.
I has really opened my eyes to color.
;)

cam

gorgeous shot, Lili! wonderful perspective! i love looking at what others do as it shows how versatile the camera is. i'm afraid i rarely have the patience to stand still long enough to compose such a beautiful image. perhaps when the weather gets nicer.... was this RAW?

Lili

gorgeous shot, Lili! wonderful perspective! i love looking at what others do as it shows how versatile the camera is. i'm afraid i rarely have the patience to stand still long enough to compose such a beautiful image. perhaps when the weather gets nicer.... was this RAW?
Cam,
Thank you! No this was shot as JPEG, no PP'ing. I still have a steep learning curve facing me on PP as well as RAW.
This shot using Moderate Sharpness, Highest Saturation, and, I think, Moderate Contrast at ISO 64, -0.7 EV.
Used the GW-1 so it was shot at 4.4mm, F5 and 1/660 sec.
No hood either, I really dislike the hood included with the GW-1, very hard to install and even harder to get on straight :mad:
But I love the lens :)
And the degree of in-camera image control the GRD series offers :D