The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D-Lux 4 Titanium Set In Stock

iiiNelson

I really don't mean to sound negative and I hope I don't discourage anyone from doing business with you but Leica has to be crazy for essentially charging $1000 for a $400 Panasonic camera. That may be a big reason for their current financial difficulties in this worldwide economic crisis.

iiiNelson

No I honestly don't mean this as a flame just an observation of a special edition point and shoot camera. I know the D-Lux4 comes with better software and a much nicer body compared to the Panasonic version. I just don't get the massive price difference still when I look at the results of both cameras in capable hands. That last statement could be said for many cameras though. It's the photographer and not just the tool to capture the expression of the moment.

bradhusick

I agree and I won't be buying one, but think of this as jewelry, mostly for men. The only other jewelry that most men care to wear is a watch, and some people spend tens of thousands of dollars on a watch that keeps time no more accurately than a $15 Casio. I bet Leica will sell all of these that they produce, just like the LHSA versions of the M cameras and lenses. As long as Leica doesn't divert too many resources into jewelry and keeps producing cameras and lenses that satisfy photographers, I will be happy. I can't imagine that this Titanium D-Lux4 took too much time away from the engineers in Solms, and there are few enough products in the Leica lineup that the marketing department must have some time on its hands to promote bling like this from time to time.

I love free markets. We can choose what not to buy.

iiiNelson

The difference is that most people can instantly tell why those would spend more money on a nicer watch. It's more apparent to most if the watch is adorned in precious metals and gems over a digital display with a plastic, rubber, or fabric wristband. It's not apparent to those who "know" why spend that much more for essentially the same product. I understand luxury items but it just seems to me Leica doesn't understand how to invest their time in accessibilty products along with the luxury. It's really a shame because they are one of the premier optics companies and I'd hate to see them go under (I only own a set of their binoculars though.)

Even still I understand your comparison but you'd have to admit one would look silly at a black tie event or a semi formal mixer with a rugged everyday watch.

Will

A lot of people would buy this just because it does costs so much more. The same reason that people would buy the Bentley coupe which is exactly the same car mechanically as one of the Audis.

mazor

Wow titalium edition, pity it is only a paint finish. What would be really kewl if they actually made the camera casing out of titanium, and hence a much stronger and possibly lighter housing.

A real titanium case would be worth paying the price I would say.

Mazor

woodyspedden

No I honestly don't mean this as a flame just an observation of a special edition point and shoot camera. I know the D-Lux4 comes with better software and a much nicer body compared to the Panasonic version. I just don't get the massive price difference still when I look at the results of both cameras in capable hands. That last statement could be said for many cameras though. It's the photographer and not just the tool to capture the expression of the moment.
Personally I am very worried that Leica is heading backwards to when Hermes owned a lot of the company and they focused on building super expensive collectibles! Darned near sank the company.

I was encouraged when Dr Kauffman took over and tried to refocus the company back to its roots.............wonderful lenses and functional bodies. It was this retrenching that got me to spend my hard earned dollars on a pair of M8's and a stable of lenses. (Actually I already had a fair number of lenses from my M6 days but I certainly added to it.)

So I hope that with the coming of the S2, most definitely a pro-targeted system, that this kind of jewelry foolishness will end once and for all.

Just my opinion
Woody

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if it were made of unobtainium it might be worth it.
But who is to say.. a lot of bicyclists go for all sorts of titanium parts (including knees and shoulders). Mere chrome might clash.
-bob

iiiNelson

Personally I am very worried that Leica is heading backwards to when Hermes owned a lot of the company and they focused on building super expensive collectibles! Darned near sank the company.

I was encouraged when Dr Kauffman took over and tried to refocus the company back to its roots.............wonderful lenses and functional bodies. It was this retrenching that got me to spend my hard earned dollars on a pair of M8's and a stable of lenses. (Actually I already had a fair number of lenses from my M6 days but I certainly added to it.)

So I hope that with the coming of the S2, most definitely a pro-targeted system, that this kind of jewelry foolishness will end once and for all.

Just my opinion
Woody
Regarding the S2 I have mixed feelings toward that as well. I have no doubt it'll be a great piece of hardware and lenses for those looking to get into MF but it makes much more business sense IMO for Leica to modernized the existing systems (M/R) than to add another more expensive camera system. That's for another topic though I guess.

mazor

also, will they be making the extra grip for the D-lux4 Titanium that would match. Currently it comes in black.

Mazor

jonoslack

HI There
Monza - as far as I'm aware the case is made of titanium - mind you, titanium isn't that expensive.

Hired arm - as you must be aware, you can buy a slim and elegant watch with hands that'll pass muster at any event (who looks or cares . . . and if they do, do you want to impress them?) - for a few dollars, with a digital heart which will out perform any Rolex (unless you happen to be in the arctic, or 50metres under water).

Woody - I don't see any signs that Leica are heading down the old Hermes dead end - surely the S2 is a real counter indicator to this. On the other hand they have a history of producing 'limited editions'.

I agree with Brad - why on earth not, you certainly aren't forced to buy one (I'm definitely not going to!). Still, most of us here like our little bit of 'jewellery', whether it's a fancy and unnecessary watch, or a nice Luigi case for our M8 . . . or a titanium D-lux4.

If Leica make a few bucks out of it (and I'm sure they will), then that's good for everyone, and if a few people are happy with their deluxe toy (and I'm sure they will be) then surely we should be pleased about that too.

It isn't even vulgar (like a jewel bedecked watch).
:)

Knorp

HI There
Monza - as far as I'm aware the case is made of titanium - mind you, titanium isn't that expensive.

:)

Jono, I think the body is still aluminium but with an anodised titanium finish.
Or with the words from Leica's website:
"The new LEICA D-LUX 4 draws attention to itself through its exclusive, titanized aluminum robe." :wtf:

Kind regards.

A

asabet

I think it's nice looking and see no reason for Leica not to offer it. Doesn't much matter if it's titanium, or just titanium colored. It's not as if titanium were a precious metal.

It's basically a cosmetic thing, comes with a nice case, and doesn't even cost much more than the other colors. Probably costs Leica next to nothing to offer this, and at 10,000 units, they will make a bit of money. Smart move IMO. In the meanwhile, I hope they are working hard to make that full frame M9 a reality no later than 2010.

jonoslack

Jono, I think the body is still aluminium but with an anodised titanium finish.
Or with the words from Leica's website:
"The new LEICA D-LUX 4 draws attention to itself through its exclusive, titanized aluminum robe." :wtf:

Kind regards.
I stand corrected!
Still - I'm with Asabet, if they make some money then it's all to the good.

I must say, with relation to the Hermes debacle, it wasn't the a la carte bit that bugged me (seems like good fun to me, and why not?). It was the lack of anything else.