The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with Google Glass #throughglass

Hosermage

I blame this on GAS... but it just seemed like a toy too cool to pass. Finally received my glass and took some snaps around the house. I will be attempting to write a light meter app for it so it can help me when I'm shooting film, unless someone writes one first!

Both images taken via the "wink" command, where I just wink with my right eye, and the device automatically take a picture. I promise I'll try not be another one of those "glassholes" :)

pgmj

Light meter app sounds like a cool idea, especially if you can get it to display a real time histogram too.

Hosermage

Just an update after a weekend of working on the app... I'm able to access the light sensor and convert the lux values into EV and calculate the shutter speed.

However, I think the light sensor may not be ideal. To get the right result, I'll have to access the camera, take a preview shot, and then evaluate the actual image. But it kinda works now, based on ambient light.

Hosermage

Here's another take... Instead of showing one aperture at a time, I wanted to show +/- 1 stop to be more flexible.

edit: oops, looks like I got the shutter speeds in the wrong order :p

Hosermage

Updated UI, and I've submitted my app to Google for public consumption. I've shot two rolls using the app as a light meter, I hope it'll turn out ok.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
LOT of flare with the camera...I wonder about a small paste on ND filter to tone it down?

Regards,

Bob

mazor

hmm the thread has somewhat evolved from fun with google glass to turning google glass into a a light meter tool for your dedicated camera. Suspect adding ND filters could affect the lux metering and would give false results.

I think the flaring you are seeing in the google glass images is not due to over exposure but rather an issue with the protective glass that is in front on the google glass camera lens.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
hmm the thread has somewhat evolved from fun with google glass to turning google glass into a a light meter tool for your dedicated camera. Suspect adding ND filters could affect the lux metering and would give false results.

I think the flaring you are seeing in the google glass images is not due to over exposure but rather an issue with the protective glass that is in front on the google glass camera lens.
And the ND filter could ameliorate the flare...it could also be accommodated in the algorithm for the metering.

JMHO...

and yes a dedicated Light meter will be so much more sensitive and appropriate...if you want to carry one....

Bob

mazor

suspect it would be hard to accommodate a different algorithm just for an ND filter considering there are many different brands and graded of ND. Remember the purpose of the app is just for framing and not as a capturing device. It is to be used as a light meter for your separate camera.