The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

When even the RX100 is too big...

bradhusick

What's a shooter to use when even the RX100 is too big and the iPhone 5S image quality is not enough (and there's no zoom)?

Is there anything that could fit in loose-fitting jeans pockets that has decent IQ without massive JPEG compression smearing?

Thanks...

Terry

Edit....missed your post that you were going to try it.

Fuji X-Q1? 33mm

from DP Review first impressions....
It's difficult to talk about the XQ1 without referencing the 'shirt pocket' enthusiast compacts it so closely resembles, most notably the Canon S-series PowerShots and the Sony RX100. There are plenty of other interesting cameras in this sector too, but it's pretty clear that Fujifilm has taken a look the market and decided exactly where it's targeting its new baby. The XQ1 looks like an interesting in-between option for users who want a larger sensor than the one in the S120 (and most of its peers), but can't stretch to buying the RX100.

The XQ1, therefore, takes the larger-than-usual 2/3" sensor that we found offered very good image quality in the Fujifilm X20, and places it in a genuinely pocketable body. That X-Trans CMOS II sensor also enables exceptionally fast autofocus - even the pre-production XQ1 we used for this article has to count as one of the quickest compacts we've seen. For fans of manual focus, the XQ1 also offers a 'Peaking' display to help get the sharpest results.

The XQ1's design may not be as adventurous (or as pretty) as the XF1 before it, but instead it adopts a control paradigm that's proven to be extremely popular for this type of enthusiast compact. Central to this are the lens control dial, and the E-Fn button which places a wide range of functions at your fingertips. It adds a screen that's essentially as good as anything else in its class (although it's not touch-sensitive), and built-in Wi-Fi for image sharing. In short, it ticks all the right boxes.

What this all means is that the XQ1 looks like it should be a really strong contender in this section of the market. Not everyone needs a 20MP sensor in a small compact camera, and not everyone can justify its price. But the XQ1 looks like it could well offer the next best thing - and that's in no way a bad place to be.

mazor

MY nokia 808 may be obsolete, but it is a very capable stand alone connected camera. The pureview zoom works a treat, and there is alot less smearing than on the iPhone.

On saying that though there is an app for iPhone called "cortex cam" which does an amazing job by capturing multiple exposures and using a combining technique to render a single cleaner not so smeared image.

bradhusick

I read the reviews of the QX10 and QX100 - they are clever ideas and clunky implementations. Worst feature? It takes quite some time from when you decide you want to shoot a photo until you actually can shoot.

I just picked up a used-like-new Fuji XQ1 from Amazon for $285 - that's a steal compared with the Sony RX100 cameras- and yes, it's the thickness that counts here.

I like the idea of different trousers! Actually, I just ordered some kydex and I am going to see if I can make my own belt holster for the XQ1 that protects the camera and is not much bigger than the camera itself.

bradhusick

There's also an app for the iphone called ClearCam that attempts to make higher res photos. It works fairly well but is not a magic wand.

mazor

XQ1 is a very smart camera. good choice :) you are going to have to start a new thread showing some of the images captured with this camera.

bradhusick

Well it arrived from Amazon and the lens ring was defective :(
Now I am having second thoughts about it. Considering a Ricoh GR instead. The GR isn't that much bigger and the sensor is an APS-C size rather than just under 1".I had one of the fist gen GR digitals and it was built like a tank but deadly slow. I hear they have fixed that in the latest gen. Yes, I give up zoom, but gain IQ.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
GR or the Merrill DP1 or DP2 will be very nice....may pick up a GR next week...am taking a Fuji F600EXR as a non-camera this weekend. May suffice for a few family shots.

Bob

mazor

sorry to hear about the defective ring on the XQ1. I too have heard good things about the GR. Like you said APS-C sensor excellent IQ combined with excellent camera controls makes the GR an excellent backup compact camera.

bradhusick

Ricoh GR on the way from Popflash. Excited.

Also picked up a used RX100 (first gen) for cheap to compare. The first gen is thinner than the rest and I can live without the EVF for the sake of pocketability.

mazor

The Rx100 first gen has the traditional FSI cmos sensor as opposed to the later BSI cmos found in the RX100ii and RX100iii. From what I have seen from sample comparisons, the first gen has slightly better IQ and color than the later 2nd gen. The second and third gen has better light sensitivity.

bradhusick

After one day I am coming to the conclusion that I should keep both the RX100 and the GR. The RX100 has a nice zoom lens and does great video, and the GR image quality is shockingly great.

Do two belt pouches make me more of a nerd?

Last edited: