The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 images.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Time for a couple more LX3 pics.

Venus over a street in Bath this evening.
3200ASA- 1/8@f2. Hand held.

A doggie.
80ASA- 1/400@k9. :)

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Went to town of Bradford on Avon today (10 miles or so S.E. of Bath). Beautiful place, has a wonderful mid 14 century tithe barn, crowning glory of which is exceptional quality and ingenious construction of its roof structure. Timbers have been ring dated to between 1334 and 1379. Is 51 metres from end to end and 9 metres wide. Light comes in through 1 door and a few small windows. As dark as gloom in there.

1st shot is 1600 ASA- 1/20@ f2- exposure bias +1.
2nd shot is 3200 ASA-1/5 @ f2- exp bias +1.

Both hand held.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

1st pic. Lots of concrete pouring into Bath these days to build....
2nd pic. New bus station in foreground and huge centre for shopping at rear.
Both 100 ASA- shot from platform 2 at the railway station.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Tim

Took these tonight with the lx3, first in color, then dynamic black and white, JPGs straight out of camera, just resized them for uploading.

MAzor
Mazor, look like an EH wagon there to me?

Its in pretty original condition too. :thumbup:

N

nei1

Hello All,

Thanks, Neil. Don't know if this helps. I'm a 'primitive' in these matters- the word histogram has only been part of my lexicon for 12 months.:)

Took a couple of pics. 1 in Standard b/w and 1 in Dynamic b/w.

Downloaded them into iPhoto and obtained these histograms.

Took a pic of the histograms from my iMac screen

In each case the standard b/w is the 1st image.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.
Thanks gandolfi,thats just what I wanted to see,Im worse than you on reading quite what it means but im going to read it as if it was the readout from an equalizer in an old hi fi system.Am I right in saying that its emphasizing the mid shadows and loosing the middle tones?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thanks gandolfi,thats just what I wanted to see,Im worse than you on reading quite what it means but im going to read it as if it was the readout from an equalizer in an old hi fi system.Am I right in saying that its emphasizing the mid shadows and loosing the middle tones?
Yes, I have a very much 'seat of the pants on a wing and a prayer' attitude to all this. I read this as being black on the left and white on the right. They both appear to have about the same amount of white (i.e. highlights), but the dynamic one has more has more black (i.e. shadows) and also less mid-tones.
To me it looks like the difference between printing on Grade 2 paper and Grade 4!.

I liked the old hi-fi equaliser analogy- as in this is a Bob Marley track so there is more base stacked on the left and this is the Everly Brothers with more treble on the right...maybe.

Whatever, we have both talked ourselves out of an instruction job on the next Moab workshop.:).

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

iiiNelson

Great shots Gandofi. Did you use the Dynamic B&W for those shots? I'm starting to like that "film mode" a lot.

mazor

Wow, Gandolfi, the tree shot is truely amazing. Did you take that with straight 24mm out of the LX3 or did you use a wide angle adapter?

Amazing capture on the bird on the handrail. Considering the LX3 has quite q limited Tele, you must have been quite close, and had time to prefocus somewhat.

MAzor

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi,

Thank you, kind sirs.
Rafa; that tree shot certainly proves the saying that February is the best month for tree 'skeletons'.
Hired Arm; yes all shot in Dynamic b/w mode at 100 ASA. As you say it does produce nice results. I process them in iPhoto which is certainly sufficient for me at the moment. I am also impressed with LX3 ability to shoot at slow shutter speeds. Here are a couple inside an antiques reclamation store. 1/15 & 1/13 sec. @ 400 ASA.
Mazor; using the 24mm, no converter. Because I was shooting from below the level of the fine Georgian crescent it has helped to accentuate the curvature. The gulls here are at a popular tourist spot so have less fear of the photographer, so I was able to sidle slowly up to them, but I did not pre-focus. Here is another one- black-headed gull in it's winter plumage! Lens at 60mm.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:
J

JCdeRidder

aren't some of these shots awfully over-sharpened or is this just my display?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi JC.
No, they are not over-sharpened.
When I first started to use LX3 6 weeks ago I was amazed how crisp the images were. I've only checked on the pics on this page, and the only 2 I can find that have had any sharpening whatsoever are the 1st pic from the antiques store and one of the toned shots of the tithe barn. Also there is no noise reduction in any of these pics.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

mazor

Got to love the LX3. Its superb formfactor, superb optically stabilized f2.0 24mm wide angle lens excellent IQ at higher ISOs, makes for a very creative everyday street camera.

Mazor

iiiNelson

I thought the same thing with early LX-3(D-Lux 4) images until the trend was "set." Like Gandolfi said the images come out very crisp. Sometimes I actually soften my images somewhat to the point of making them look a little less artificial. I find the compression and conversion of many of my RAW images to JPEG can have the same effect as well.

mazor

agreed HiredArm, I find that the RAWs come out with more detail than the JPGs and are too very crisp and sharp.

Mazor