The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 images.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
I recently bought an LX3, mainly because I was interested in shooting at higher ISO ratings. I have been using a GX100 for a year, which was a great camera but which wouldn't give a decent image at over 200ASA.
These b/w pics were all shot as Jpegs at 1600 ASA in dynamic b/w mode and tweaked a little bit in iPhoto and P/S Elements6.
The colour shot is 3200ASA.
I am pleased with the results.:)
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
....LX3 also works well at 400 ASA.
Jpegs in Dynamic b/w mode modestly modified in iPhoto.
It is a nice crisp lens on this camera, and the files do not usually require a lot of modification.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

mazor

gandolfi, congrats on getting an lx3. It is indeed a very usable pocketcam. I find the higher ISO capability of this cam extremely good for a point and shooter, coupled with the versatile Leica vario Summicron combined with wide 24mm focal length at the widest setting makes this really usable in the field.

Portrait taken at ISO400 in the evening with grey clouds LX3

Mazor

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Thanks, Mazor. Nice quality to your evening portrait @ ISO400.
Here are a couple more recent images with LX3.
1st is fully auto colour into the sun with an old Cokin 'diffractor universe' filter.
2nd is 'day for night' dynamic b/w @ 80ASA blued up in P/S Elements6.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

mazor

wow gandolfi, love the blue effect on that shot. Also the Diffraction universe filter, was that a 46mm filter?

MAzor

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Mazor, the filter was 70mm! and is a leftover from a previous life when I was a large format photographer! and I just held it in front of the lens. And I realise the blue tint was not done in P/S but iPhoto and I slid the colour temp and tint sliders over to the left!
Today I was out in shoot from the hip mode and here are a couple of pics straight out of the camera, shot 400 ASA in dynamic b/w- auto exposure auto focus (next time will pre set focus to 2 or 3 metres). 1/400 and 1/160 sec @ f4.5.
Pretty funky eh, for un-manipulated files!
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
A couple more shots from yesterday, both @ 400ASA and coloured in iPhoto.
A tree and some bubbling water at the base of a small waterfall.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

3 pics. All Jpegs.

B/w close up shot of leaves on the road to Bokehland, greened in iPhoto. 400 ASA- 1/100 @ f2.

B/w waitress service (poached eggs with smoked salmon, with a side plate of blown highlights). Tweaked in iPhoto. 400 ASA- 1/15@f2.

Partly desaturated colour shot of the Velo lounge, Bath. iPhoto'd. 80 ASA- 4/10 @ f2.

All hand held.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

2 more 'hipster' shots from today at Bath Bus Station.

1st 100ASA-1/80 @ 3.2.
2nd 100 ASA- 1/125 @ 3.2. both Jpegs.

Looks like I was spotted in the 1st one.
2nd is obviously a bus driver's joke.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Just playing with P/S Elements6. Selection tools and colouring etc.
100 ASA b/w.

Paxton & Whitfield cheese shop , Bath.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Your very kind comments are much appreciated, Micek.
Although I do sometimes miss those happy hours of contemplation underneath a dark cloth looking at a 10x8 ground glass screen, I find that I am now as enthused with the camera that I can put in my pocket.
Practicalities now dictate that I probably will not use my old wooden camera again.:)

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Cold, grey, biting East wind coming from Russia. My exotic locations have been a couple of railway stations. Swindon 30 miles E of Bath and Stroud 30 miles N. Still playing with my ASAs.

!st looking for Infinity in the drink's chiller cabinet at Swindon station.
3200 ASA- 1/80 @ f5.
2nd shop at Swindon station.
1600 ASA- 1/8 @ f8.
3rd Swindon station.
400 ASA- 1/200 @ f2.8.
4th Stroud station.
100 ASA- 1/160 @ f4.

I like the controls/ease of use and LX3 seems also to be quite steady at slow shutter speeds.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

mazor

Took these tonight with the lx3, first in color, then dynamic black and white, JPGs straight out of camera, just resized them for uploading.

MAzor

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
Where are you Mazor. There appear to be flowers in bloom at the roadside. Dammit here in U.K. still chilly and snowy. Liked the shots of tramlines-are they still used?

Here couple of pics.

1st. is random hipster shot. I didn't notice until it was up on my screen the baby at the bottom right seemingly being used as a battering ram!:)
100 ASA-1/500 @ 3.2.

2nd. I was cleaning my electric hob unit yesterday and when I had reached the bottom right hand corner I stepped back and said "If that's not a mundane work of art, I'm not a GetDPI fan':)
Share my housework!
200ASA-1/13 @ 2.2.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Went into town yesterday at 6 in the evening. It was almost dark but got some nice images, some under harsh lighting conditions. ( When I say nice images I mean they look nice on my iMac screen- what do they look like to you?).

1st outdoor flower stall.
1600 ASA-1/160 @ 2.0.

2nd outddoor fruit store.
1600 ASA-1/[email protected].

3rd tourists shoot the family portrait in front of Bath Abbey.
800 ASA-1/[email protected].

4th detail of main front door of Abbey-carved wood.
800 ASA-1/[email protected].

5th No.13 bus.
1600 ASA-1/[email protected].

All hand held jpegs shot dynamic b/w mode.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Mazor, my brother tells me you may live in Melbourne. He has visited Oz and says that is an old Holden car and there are many trams there in Melbourne!!

Here are 3 pics of River Avon in Bath.

1st 2 are 100ASA and 3rd is 400ASA. All b/w J-pegs.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:
N

nei1

Mazor, gandolfi ,some nice work,cant agree with the hip shots though,have a question.Canyou tell from the histogram what the camera is doing to produce its "dynamic black and white"?................thanks,Neil

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Thanks, Neil. Don't know if this helps. I'm a 'primitive' in these matters- the word histogram has only been part of my lexicon for 12 months.:)

Took a couple of pics. 1 in Standard b/w and 1 in Dynamic b/w.

Downloaded them into iPhoto and obtained these histograms.

Took a pic of the histograms from my iMac screen

In each case the standard b/w is the 1st image.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

These 2 pics are 'worse' than hipster shots.
I was on tiptoe at full stretch with camera pointing over the top of a 7 foot wall- so I had even less idea of my subject matter than usual:). Both 200ASA.

Chacun a son viewpoint.

Cheers,
Gandolfi.

Last edited: