The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Harder than buying a DSLR

J

JCdeR

I literally spent 8 weeks of intensive research into the purchase of a digicam.
Choices were, DP-1, GX200, GRDII ---- all had pro's and con's and I just couldn't decide which would eliminate others; Handling, IQ, Size, Speed, B&W capabilities (Tri-x Rodinal like) so put on my dancing shoes and purchased all three in order to test them out over a period of 14 days after which I would have to send 2 back.

After having tested all 3 for quite a lengthy amount of time I still couldn't make up my mind, but as how it goes someone often will do this for you;

Calumet UK offered the GX200 for 238 GBP, very cheap I thought so I returned all 3 to Amazon and purchased the GX200 (Calumet), at a bargain. The day after the local camerashop in the january end sale offered their last DP-1 for 339€ I managed to deal them down to 275€ alongside the purchase of a regular Panasonic G1 which I was going to buy anyway, and was similarly priced than Amazon where I usually buy my stuff.

I like the DP-1 but this requires a Zen like attitude towards photography which I don't always have, or which is not always possible, but all in all IQ wise definitely very nice, looks a lot like film actually when shooting color. Anyway I have that and I use my Leica 28mm viewfinder on it.

I actually really like the versatility of the GX200, the step zoom 1:1 format good color images up until 400, nice B&W at 800 (I use Aperture and the NIK software package for Aperture) and very intuitive to use.

I stepped down form DSLR after coming to the conclusion I never took it along for it's weight and size, I also realized I disliked the IQ of DSLR's, very nice for family shots but not the sort of thing that warms me up as a hobby, I like the rough, but detailed non-plastic images, be it ghosted out of focus or even blurred, images with character and atmosphere, which up until now the GX200 has been able to provide. The DP-1 provides nice landscapes and architecture fantastic realistic film like color and the Panasonic G1.... well this keeps my wife happy since she like the DSLR type images.

Prior to the DP-1 and GX200 I did try the LX-3 and the G10, both didn't last 48m hours and were sent back after PP'ing the first 50 images (yes... Amazon loves me!)

So actually I think I have found my turn in digital photography. I am still looking at a bargain for the GRDII which I like also, but these will come upon announcement of the GRDIII most probably, but I can wait for that.

I am still in an introductory phase but will post some images shortly to this nice forum.

J

JCdeR

I would of liked to but they seem to be out of stock everywhere

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The GX200 is a winner since you have Silver Efex.
The DP1, well that's a no brainer. There is no better.
I speak from personal preference so as not to get
sidetracked.
The LX3 as good as it is, is not great. Featurewise
the GX200 is better. I too am Tri-X and Rodinal with
an M camera. These 2, Gx200 & DP1 can replicate
that quality with little effort.
Good luck in your quest.
shooter

W

wbrandsma

Wishing you the best with the GX200 JC. A great versatile camera in my opinion and absolutely great for B&W.

And with the current exchange rate a very good price indeed for your camera.

O

Oxide Blu

The GX200 is $450 at Adorama. Anything Adorama sells on Amazon, also check for it on the Adorama website.

http://www.adorama.com/IRCGX200.html

The GX200 + eVF is $490 at Adorama; that's $40 for the $167 eVF. That's the way to do it, wherever you buy the camera.

Fwiw, I bought my GX200 from Adorama in mid-Dec '08 fr around $470 incd'd the eVF, and Ricoh tossed in that alien claw looking auto lens cap thingy (LC-1), free. Shipping to Calif was less than $10.

ETA: Adorama claims to be the only distributor of Ricoh cameras in the US. If so, Pop Flash is getting their cameras from Adorama, would explain why I have not found anything Ricoh at Pop Flash that was less expensive than Adorama, and would explain why Pop Flash packages Ricoh cameras with all kinds of other goodies, to distinguish their Ricoh offerings from that of Adorama.

Last edited:

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The thing that distinguises PopFlash from Adorama is Tony Rose and his very helpful staff who will actually talk with you and return calls something Adorama does seem to be able to do. Also unlike Adorama Popflash will call and tell you they are out of stock unlike Adorama who will charge your card card and let you wait for 3 weeks while not returning calls.

O

Oxide Blu

Wow! Not my experience with Adorama at all. Whenever I order from them I call and talk to someone -- someone that is not immediately convinced that I want to buy anything, or convincing that they actually want to sell anything. But I let that slide. They always check inventory and confirm the item in stock BEFORE placing my order. Never had a problem with Adorama delivering an item I ordered. Had a problem with a free item that was not included, which they promptly sent out immediately.

Now, saying anyone is more friendly than any of the NYC camera cabala isn't saying much. Chewing a broken glass bottle is friendlier than the bunch. :D

If you know what you want, buy from whomever has the lowest price.

I think everyone benefits from retail competition. So here's what you do if you need help; contact Pop Flash for any help you need, then buy from whomever has the lowest price, and then send a check for the difference to Pop Flash. That's a win win win for everyone. It rewards the guy selling for the lowest price (win!). It rewards the guy that helped you (win!). And you get what you want for what you were willing to pay for it (win!). :thumbup:

V

VladimirV

Well I think that you should try the GRD1 ;)
I agree, if you already have the GX200 get a used GRD I. You won't get the same look from any other camera and is IMO the best camera for b&w.

J

jeff stevens

After having tested all 3 for quite a lengthy amount of time I still couldn't make up my mind

Sometimes I think I should just sell the dslr, and buy multiple compacts, then I'll be happy...

R

rondo

...why I have not found anything Ricoh at Pop Flash that was less expensive than Adorama
popflash combinations really annoy and confuse me, but in this case you are wrong about Adorama being cheaper:
$407.00" at poplash...($450 at adorama)
$477 with vf at popflash and $490 at adorama....
GRD2 seems to be the same price at both $460
Thanks for warning about Adorama thru Amazon though....It is crazy that they charge you so much more!

Last edited:
R

rondo

Has there ever been an image test (with 100% crops) between GX200 and GRD2 in any of the forums, thank you...

gromitspapa

Tony at PopFlash is pretty awesome. I thought I had an issue with a Zeiss ZF 85 and he immediately offered to send me another one to compare it to. Adorama called me up after placing an order trying to upsell me with some filters.

V

VladimirV

Has there ever been an image test (with 100% crops) between GX200 and GRD2 in any of the forums, thank you...
You can find this in the Ricohforum.com, Pavel has done some comparisons. And I will have some posted on my upcoming GX200 review on my blog although I am running a bit behind with getting it done.

R

rondo

thank you for the link. I see no big difference between GRD2 and GX200 in terms of image quality. Would those of you who use both agree?

V

VladimirV

I have used both and the only differences are that the GRD II lens is sharper, has more contrast and less distortion. You would have to sharpen the GX200 RAW files more in Photoshop and add more contrast but in terms of details you won't find much difference if any at all. The GRD II is better however at ISO 1600 but neither is IMO as good as the excellent GRD I, not even the (a bit overrated) Fuji F30.

Last edited: