Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a small sensor junkie

Mitch Alland

Confessions of a small sensor junkie

Dear Abbie, I've always been a one-camera girl but now find myself with five, yes, that's five, small sensor cameras. What should I do?

1. I bought the GRD in July 2006 after reading the review by that nice man, Sean.

2. In December 2006 I got the D-Lux-3 because I wanted to be able to shoot at 50mm EFOV.

3. In March 2007 someone on the LUF sold me his V-Lux-3 at a good price and I was attracted by the idea of a 420mm EFOV lens with the DOF of a 90mm one, although I don't use telephoto much.

4. In the last week of August I was in Tokyo where I found the GX100 on sale until the end of the month for about $100 — at that time it was still unclear when a GRD2 would appear.

5. In early December I bought the GRD2.

Although I like the D-Lux-3 — it has a very good lens which seems to be better at the telephoto end than the GX100, and goes to 120mm EFOV rather than to 72mm — I haven't used it since I got the GX100, which is better at ISO 400 and above. Also, the controls are different and confusing to use together with the GRD or GRD2. But somehow I haven't been able to get myself in the frame of mind to sell it.

As for the GRD, at this point, I'm still keeping it for possibly shooting at ISO200, although the 12-14 sec RAW write time, which didn't used to bother me, is difficult to go back to after the GRD2.

The GX100 I'll keep because it's stepped zoom offers great flexibility and it works the same way as the GRD2.

On the V-Lux-3, I'll decide what to do after my trip to Namibia next week, where it looks like I'll have a chance to go to a game park at least for a week.

So, dear Abbie, please advise me what to do...

—Mitch/Bank
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Confessions of a small sensor junkie

Look into the mirror and repeat after me...I like myself, I like myself...its ok

Dr. Phil

keep em all
    Last edited by mwalker; 14th January 2008 at 17:38.
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch, you really should give the D-Lux 3 a chance again- get a Sandisk eXtreme III card for it and shoot RAW. And remember that LightZone's "Midtone Sharpen" is the best friend the D-Lux 3's files have.

stnami

........... keep the GRD for sentimental reasons. use the 100 and GRD II..toss the rest to someone who will use them

Post Thanks / Like

To: Mitch

You certainly have a problem. First, you have a lot of camera's, and small ones at that... but that is another issue.

Next, I am not sure, but I think that you may be looking "through" your camera's view finders with one side of your brain (creative) and looking "at" your cameras with the other (analytical).

A camera may be one of those materialistic things that is only "better" than another camera if it can inspire it's user to be more creative. It has much less to do with lens abberation and pixels than it does inspiration.

I have a D-Lux 3 as well and I really like it for a lot of reasons. Don't get me wrong here, the Leica is a great camera, but it just never inspired me. That is just me, I'm sure, but it was just too analytical for me.

My new GRII is my new muse. She has inspired me to see the pictures I want to create.

So, keep the GRII, for now, until a new muse comes along... and write me again about your small camera problem. They have little blue pills for that now.

Post Thanks / Like

John Prine could no doubt come up with an answer for you, Mitch.

He might need one more verse though.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/p...bby-10853.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

*in best 12 step manner*
    Hi Mitch!!
    I feel you here.
    My GRD is with me all the time, my Pentax K100D with all those lenses scarcely ever leaves the Lowepro bag!
    Small sensor convenience, with high quality is addictive.
    However I cannot *justify* a GRD II (yet having only got my GRD a couple of months ago.
    But I am looking *really* hard at getting a GX100 to compliment my GRD.
    I keep telling myself that it would take little more space with better IQ than the GT-1/GH-1!
    Yeaaaah, that's it, that's the ticket.........
    Last edited by Lili; 15th January 2008 at 05:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    *in best 12 step manner*
    Hi Mitch!!
    I feel you here.
    My GRD is with me all the time, my Pentax K100D with all those lenses scarcely ever leaves the Lowepro bag!
    Small sensor convenience, with high quality is addictive.
    However I cannot *justify* a GRD II (yet having only got my GRD a couple of months ago.
    But I am looking *really* hard at getting a GX100 to compliment my GRD.
    I keep telling myself that it would take little more space with better IQ than the GT-1/GH-1!
    Yeaaaah, that's it, that's the ticket.........
    And, of course, it's barely more than the cost of an average lens for your Pentax.

Mitch Alland

...y GRD a couple of months ago.
    But I am looking *really* hard at getting a GX100 to compliment my GRD....
    On the other hand, Lili, you could get the 21mm and 40mm EFOV converter lenses, which are relatively inexpensive and can be used with the GRD2 as well.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    And, of course, it's barely more than the cost of an average lens for your Pentax.
    Otto, we call that 'enabling'
    Seriously you are right on this, sigh.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    On the other hand, Lili, you could get the 21mm and 40mm EFOV converter lenses, which are relatively inexpensive and can be used with the GRD2 as well.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Mitch there is that, I have the GW-1 and adore using using it.
    As you can see.

And your point is well taken, even in sale the GT-1 is *far* less than a GX100

7ian7

I second the "keep the GRD for sentimental reasons" thought.

7ian7

Based on how you describe your relationship to them, I say the Leicas you mention can go, and eventually you might consider upgrading to an updated GX(200?) to complement your GRD2.

It's strange how certain perfectly good cameras inspire no "emotional connection" and others, despite their annoying quirks and shortcomings, seem so much a part of the mythology and history of our personal photographic adventures.

I have a more emotional connection to my Ricoh than to any Canon dSLR I've owned. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like

Lili, that's a cool shot with some of the Big D in the background. I recognize it since my Son lives there.

Good luck with your decision. You guys have me lusting for a Ricoh now, as well.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Otto View Post
    Lili, that's a cool shot with some of the Big D in the background. I recognize it since my Son lives there.

Good luck with your decision. You guys have me lusting for a Ricoh now, as well.

Good shooting,
    Otto...

Thank you Otto! I have not regretted getting my GRD even though the GRDII came out a month later.
    It is my constant companion, my sketchbook if you will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dear Abbie, I've always been a girl...

So, dear Abbie, please advise me what to do...

—Mitch/Bank
    Dear Mitch,

I've edited your letter as this is a family paper. I'm only a sawbones, but perhaps you should consider a consulation with my colleague, Dr Freud?

Bertie

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OTOH, a more reasoned response is to consider your needs, and what type of photography you do now/expect to do in the future.

Two or three cameras with the same controls are easier to master than if they all work differently.

If the RAW write of the GRD now annoys you, even if it didn't before, then it will continue to annoy; the problem of using high ISO on the GRD II can be overcome - albeit it as a workaround - by using a neutral density filter with the adaptor thingy.

If you don't use telephotos, why have a camera with this ability? Perhaps to use on holidays - you won't find it easy to photograph the lions from a jeep with a 28mm.

If you have two different cameras, but with overlapping abilities, then why do you need both?

Do you need the baht?

I think you more or less answered your questions.

Regards

Bertie

wbrandsma

Hi Mitch,

I am suprised . Despite your minimalistic photographic style you have maximised your photographic instruments. You can use only one camera at a time. Maybe you should leave a camera in Paris, a camera in Thailand and take another camera with you wherever you go!

I have had only two digital cameras. An Olympus C4000z and the Ricoh GX100. I had the Oly since 2004 and the Ricoh since last June. I will not sell the Oly though. My son can learn photography with that camera. I will probably replace the Ricoh around 2009/2010 when Ricoh launches there long awaited RF camera .

But I do have a small collection of 12 older cameras like two Pentax, two Praktica, one Agfa Click I and two beautiful Agfa Ambiflex cameras. I especially adore the Ambiflex. My grandfather used those to make his living with these cameras.

I hope you find peace with your photography belongings.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch,

So that we don't lead any newcomers astray, I think you meant the V-Lux 1, rather than V-Lux 3 in your original post?

BTW, I'm still happy using my D-Lux 2, complete with CV 28/35mm minifinder, at least when looking for something smaller than my M8s.

Cheers,

Simon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitch was using a D-Lux 3, as he wrote in his first post.

Post Thanks / Like

3. In March 2007 someone on the LUF sold me his V-Lux-3 at a good price and I was attracted by the idea of a 420mm EFOV lens with the DOF of a 90mm one, although I don't use telephoto much.
    Hi Maggie,

Yes, I realize that but he also mentioned the "V-Lux-3", thus my correction.

Cheers,

Simon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Probably a typo, I'd guess.

Welcome, Simon!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Maggie!

While I've got your attention, what is the size limit for posted images, I didn't see that anywhere in the FAQ etc?

Cheers,

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    ...I am suprised . Despite your minimalistic photographic style you have maximised your photographic instruments...
    Wouter, the purchases as outlined above were all reasonable, it just that I didn't sell any of the cameras along the way because it's not that easy to sell these cameras in Bangkok and also because I'm not into buying and selling of used cameras.

Simon, Magge: Yes, that was a typo: it should have read "V-Lux-1".

—Mitch/Bangkok

Sean_Reid

Welcome Simon, it's good to have you here.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Sean, it's nice finding a new forum and this one looks very good.

Cheers,

wbrandsma

Wouter, the purchases as outlined above were all reasonable, it just that I didn't sell any of the cameras along the way because it's not that easy to sell these cameras in Bangkok and also because I'm not into buying and selling of used cameras.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Of course I will never doubt your purchases. I think they are all excellent and very reasonable choices and you have made awesome images with those cameras. I am also not into selling used cameras. I still own my first Ricoh for instance, the GR1.

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch —

As a fellow addict now feeling myself at the same time both strong and virtuous and also somewhat vague and unprepared for the lightseeking life (both emotions stemming from my curently being "temporarily between cameras," I think you probably ought to hang onto everyone of them until you, yourself, are at peace about the focus and direction of this phase of your own life.

I do sympathize, however, and understand. So, if you really can't stand the strain of it all and find you MUST off load one of those weights (no matter how slight) from around your neck (or wrist, as the case may be) please be assured that I'll back you all the way!

Translating that sentiment into cold hard cash means simply that I'm fully willing to offer you a 50% profit on your GX100!! If truth be told, I'd even bump that up and DOUBLE what you paid for it if that would only help you get control over your addiction....

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Mitch Alland

Heh-heh, Iraneous. Now that would be true therapy, or is it philanthropy?

—Mitch/Bangkok

Player

Wink Re: Confessions of a small sensor junkie

—Mitch/Bangkok
    It sounds more like "insanity" to me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Hey Mitch,
    Ireneous is just tryin' to help...um...help you out, yeah, thats it, thats the ticket
    Seriously, you got a very good deal on the GX100 and your work with it is too good to part with it.
    For me, I'm still torn between just getting the GT-1 or splurging and gettin the GX-100....sigh

Post Thanks / Like

Mitch wrote:

<< ... found the GX100 on sale until the end of the month for about $100 ... >>

Was that $100 total, or at a $100 discount ?

Good deal either way, but if the total price was $100, his mistake was not buying in quantity.

Player

Lili, you should "super-splurge" and get both the GT-1 and the GX-100. That way you can mix 'n' match, just like your outfits.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Player View Post
    Lili, you should "super-splurge" and get both the GT-1 and the GX-100. That way you can mix 'n' match, just like your outfits.
    LOL, perhaps.
    Actually my big concern is that should I get the GX-100, then I might leave my GRD to languish and just use the new toy.
    And that would be a waste.
    I shall order the GT-1 today, I think

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why anyone would care, but having already got several thousand exposures on a GR-D and a bit fewer on a GX-100 (which my kids use heavily for both stills and videos), here's what I think I'll do for the next decade or so -- get the GR-D II, house it in the slick new soft cover with the small 28mm-only GV-2 viewfinder, use the GX-100 for 35mm-e and 50mm-e focal lengths, and put a GW-1 wide angle extender on the GR-D (it works with the GV-1, which I already have). I'm still checking to see if there is a "creative package" at Popflash that will contain the stuff I want and leave out the things that I don't need.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mitch Alland;7419]Heh-heh, Iraneous. Now that would be true therapy, or is it philanthropy?

Just sheer, self serving opportunism, Mitch, no more, no less....

Great buy, great photos, keep it up!

Irenaeus

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=scott kirkpatrick;7440]...here's what I think I'll do for the next decade or so -- get the GR-D II, house it in the slick new soft cover with the small 28mm-only GV-2 viewfinder, use the GX-100 for 35mm-e and 50mm-e focal lengths, and put a GW-1 wide angle extender on the GR-D...

Very interesting and imaginative combination, Scott! Are you planning to carry more than one of them at a time? If so, have you worked how you might do that?

If you manage to pull it off, do let us know how it works out. I think quite a few of us would be interested — I know I would be.

Cheers,

Irenaeus

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    here's what I think I'll do for the next decade or so -- get the GR-D II, house it in the slick new soft cover with the small 28mm-only GV-2 viewfinder, use the GX-100 for 35mm-e and 50mm-e focal lengths..
    scott
    Hi Scott,

The above is exactly my preferred small sensor camera combination right now too.

Cheers,

Sean

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_Reid View Post
    Hi Scott,

The above is exactly my preferred small sensor camera combination right now too.

Cheers,

Sean
    So treat the GX-100 as a "GRD35/GRD50" and use the GRD as the "GRD28"?
    I like it!

Sean_Reid

Exactly. And, of course, 24 and 72 are also there in wings if needed.

MY1 can be set to 35 mm and MY2 to 50 mm.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

So treat the GX-100 as a "GRD35/GRD50" and use the GRD as the "GRD28"?
    I like it!
    Almost -- the GRD because the GR-21 equivalent, while the GRD-II is used at 28mm-e, which is a pretty comfortable everyday focal length for me. Just like the film GR's, which I never got to use.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Almost -- the GRD because the GR-21 equivalent, while the GRD-II is used at 28mm-e, which is a pretty comfortable everyday focal length for me. Just like the film GR's, which I never got to use.

scott
    That is a nice idea.
    However I would find three cameras, especially with one having the HA-1 and GW-1 installed, a bit much to carry.
    Carrying my GRD, HA-1, and GW-1 is fairly light and compact.
    It appears the GT-1 will not add much more bulk

Edit:I just ordered the GT-1, die is cast

Player

Congrats Lili on the GT-1! You'll be happy with it.

Just to mention, the Voigtlander VTVF40 is a gem, very bright and clear. And a neck strap seems to go well with the GRD/ GT-1 combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Are you planning to carry more than one of them at a time? If so, have you worked how you might do that?
    I can imagine carrying the GR-DII and GX100 around together in one sort of setting, and the 28 and 21 lenses (on the GR-D and GR-DII) in some others. Just wear shirts with big pockets. The new carrying case will help to keep down the accumulation of viewfinders loose in a pocket. This only gets tough in summer time, when I don't have that many pockets.

I did make a deal with Popflash, leaving out some stuff that I don't use, like the electric cable release and the shoulder strap...

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Lili on the GT-1! You'll be happy with it.

Just to mention, the Voigtlander VTVF40 is a gem, very bright and clear. And a neck strap seems to go well with the GRD/ GT-1 combo.
    Ah yes, I shall need the CV-40 you are right, another toy, yay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm..with all these toys being bought, I can see that Abby is going to be busy in the future...

Bertie

Player

Lili, I noticed you didn't mention the neck strap.

I haven't actually used it in the field yet, but I keep the short sections permanently attached to the camera so I can quickly install the rest of the strap, if need be. It does however kind of make the user look like a "real photographer," which somewhat defeats the purpose of the camera, but it works well with the accessory lenses since the camera isn't really pocketable, and you do have to carry it somehow.

pcheywood

All those accessories, just go with the GX100. A single camera, close to perfect, why are we trying to burden ourselves with the paraphernalia of a DSLR?

Paul.

hiro

Lili, I noticed you didn't mention the neck strap.
    It does however kind of make the user look like a "real photographer," which somewhat defeats the purpose of the camera, but it works well with the accessory lenses since the camera isn't really pocketable, and you do have to carry it somehow.
    It's unfortunate that most digital compacts come only with identically useless wrist straps. I considered getting the Ricoh neck strap for my GX100 but as you suggest it is rather large and obtrusive and would make the camera unpocketable. Instead I managed to thread the strap from my old Olympus Myu-II through one of the eyelets, this is long enough to serve as a neck strap as well as a wrist strap, and doesn't affect pocketability being basically just a loop of 3mm thick cord, about 40cm long. For something as light as a compact, you don't really need a thick strap to spread the weight.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    It's unfortunate that most digital compacts come only with identically useless wrist straps. I considered getting the Ricoh neck strap for my GX100 but as you suggest it is rather large and obtrusive and would make the camera unpocketable. Instead I managed to thread the strap from my old Olympus Myu-II through one of the eyelets, this is long enough to serve as a neck strap as well as a wrist strap, and doesn't affect pocketability being basically just a loop of 3mm thick cord, about 40cm long. For something as light as a compact, you don't really need a thick strap to spread the weight.
    Hiro,
    I have a Stylus Epic with strap; I will try that

Player, agreed the camera needs some secure method of holding.