The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD with Viewfinder?

J

JCdeR

How do you use your GRD's, with or without viewfinder, how is the LCD display?

I have a DP-1 and the LCD display is of such quality that you need a viewfinder, but how is it with the GRD-II which I have just ordered.

sorry for all the questions, just want to get prepared you know for I am really looking forward to "luggable photography"

Thinking of selling my complete DSLR stuff and buying a full range of easily transportable cameras.

simonclivehughes

As Vladimir stated, the LCD on the GRDII is FAR superior to the DP1. However, if you want a good OVF for either, use the Voigtlander 28mm metal briteline finder. It's superb. Available from Camera Quest.

Cheers,

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well the screen may leave a little to desire on the DP1...but....
what counts is the business end....and what it records.....

I rest my case......

the lcd on the GX200 is wonderful and I probably will not get a finder for it.....
it's the first Zoomie camera I really enjoy......

fordfanjpn

I also have the Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder that I use on both the DP1 and the GRD2, but the GRD2 really doesn't need it. I just like using it.

Bill

D

ddk

How do you use your GRD's, with or without viewfinder, how is the LCD display?

I have a DP-1 and the LCD display is of such quality that you need a viewfinder, but how is it with the GRD-II which I have just ordered.

sorry for all the questions, just want to get prepared you know for I am really looking forward to "luggable photography"

Thinking of selling my complete DSLR stuff and buying a full range of easily transportable cameras.
GRD's lcd is excellent but I still prefer shooting with the OVF. I guess its personal but I hate shooting with outstretched arms, I work much better with the finder. I have both Ricoh finders and the Voigtlander but much prefer Ricoh's. The larger Ricoh finder has lines for both the 28mm lens and 21mm attachment. The smaller one is still wonderful and allows you to use it with the Ricoh case, recommended!

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I use my GR-DII almost exclusively with a viewfinder in fact I have the LCD off. I use the CV mini 28/35 finder so it fits in my shirt pocket easily.

"No matter how capable it may be, any camera you have to hold out in front of you like a tourist is not cool."
Dean Forbes

J

JCdeR

Thank you all. I will try it without first for reasons of size, but I guess I will get the VF with it.
My only concern is the portability, the GRD seems such a nice small affair adding a viewfinder will change that.

D

ddk

Thank you all. I will try it without first for reasons of size, but I guess I will get the VF with it.
My only concern is the portability, the GRD seems such a nice small affair adding a viewfinder will change that.
It still easily fits in my shirt pockets with either finder attached. The smaller one is very low profile.

cam

although the LCD is brilliant (light years ahead of the DP1!), i like the option of using a viewfinder. i've found the GV-2 a brilliant compromise. although the GV-1 is amazing (as is the Voightlander) -- it's huge and bulks up the camera's portability. the little GV-2 adds very little to the size, but gives you a VF when you need or want it. i never take mine off! fits in coats, pant pockets, etc.

ShiroKuro

GV2 is very small and adds very little to the overall size of the camera ..... great finder ..... I use both the GV 2 and the Gv1.... The lcd on the GRD is awesome ...... I find I use the LCD more often than not ..... you may find you do not need an OVF .....
If the only reason you thought you might need a finder is the lack of quality of the lcd on the GRD ..... you won't need one and probably wont use it much after the novelty of it wears off...... save your money ; )

O

Oxide Blu

With the GRDII I use the LCD more than the view finder, primarily because of the camera data that is available on the LCD and not in the VF.

With the GX200 I use the eVF almost exclusively. The camera data appears in the eVF just as it does on the LCD. Both cameras are so intuitive to use it is not necessary to look at the camera to make adjustments. With the GX200 I don't have to take my eye off the subject to make any camera adjustments -- and know what the adjustments are.

That will cause me to dump the GRDII in favor of a GRDIII if the GRDIII has an eVF available.