The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisions

T

TMGraphics

Hello All,
My name is Thomas and I am a new member here. I have enjoyed all the great informatin and images this site has thus far. Thanks to all who comment and post here.
Here is my delima... In my searches for information on handheld cameras I have been led here and to Sean Reid's website. My 'quest' started from a need for a portable camera for an upcoming business trip so as not to have to lug around my Studio cameras and lenses. (I still work with Medium Format film from time to time but mainly use the upper end Canon digital cameras and "L" type glass.)
I have narrowed it down to 2 cameras the DX-100 and the D-Lux3.
As much as I am attracted to the GRDII, I want to keep it simple and compact for now. I think I would prefer some ability to zoom built in so as to keep it pocketable. I prefer to shoot in RAW. I like the 16:9 ratio of the D-Lux3 but the ability to use a VF on the DX-100. Decisions. Decisions. :)
A main concern of mine is that a purchase now would be premature of any new releases, with the upcoming trade shows and conventions . My luck would be to purchase a camera now and in 2 months a better one comes out! LOL
Should I get something reasonable now and wait for a few months on a 'higher' ended camera, possibly a newer released model?
I have less than a week to make the choice.

Regards,
Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome Thomas since PMA opens I believe on the 2nd of February I would wait one more week. Most announce two weeks prior to a show on what is next.

T

TMGraphics

Thanks Guy, might be the best thing. Although I may have to 2nd day or overnight an order to get it in time for the trip. I had thoughts on just going with the Ricoh R7 until the dust settles.

Thomas

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well usually when announced it takes maybe a month to hit the streets so depending on your trip might have to figure that out.

Otto

Thomas,

For about half the cost of the D-Lux 3, you can have the Panasonic LX2 which is the same camera. Some say it's "tweaked" by Leica, and some say you can't see the difference, and that would be true with the RAW images.

There will always be a newer, better, camera to come almost every two months, but their initial cost will be a lot closer to list than the replaced model. Besides, if you don't like the small sensor camera, you can always sell it without taking the big loss that the newer one might take. If you do like it, you can always get the "better" one in six months when Photokina takes place and even newer, and better ones are announced. :D

The other advantage of buying now is that you get a chance to become comfortable with the new camera before trying to get it to perform on your upcoming trip. They all have a learning curve to contend with. I'm sure it will be short for you, with your experience, but it's still there. This way you won't have to think about it as much.

Just some thoughts from someone that has been there.

Good luck with your decision, and good shooting,
Otto...

T

TMGraphics

Thanks for all the information everyone. I placed an order for the LX2. I will use this camera for the trip and after the PMA announcements I will look into a 'higher' end unit like the GRII . A major factor for my decision was the 16:9 ability as well as RAW. I compared the LX2 and D-LUX3 user manuals and they are 99% similar. Which makes me wonder if one used the flash bios for the D-LUX3 on the LX2 would it open up new possibilities for the LX2? Maybe all that is different is the firmware? I will wait for the warranty to run out before tinkering with that idea! LOL

Will post some new trial images soon, thanks again.
Thomas

S

Sean_Reid

Thomas,

For about half the cost of the D-Lux 3, you can have the Panasonic LX2 which is the same camera. Some say it's "tweaked" by Leica, and some say you can't see the difference, and that would be true with the RAW images.

There will always be a newer, better, camera to come almost every two months, but their initial cost will be a lot closer to list than the replaced model. Besides, if you don't like the small sensor camera, you can always sell it without taking the big loss that the newer one might take. If you do like it, you can always get the "better" one in six months when Photokina takes place and even newer, and better ones are announced. :D

The other advantage of buying now is that you get a chance to become comfortable with the new camera before trying to get it to perform on your upcoming trip. They all have a learning curve to contend with. I'm sure it will be short for you, with your experience, but it's still there. This way you won't have to think about it as much.

Just some thoughts from someone that has been there.

Good luck with your decision, and good shooting,
Otto...
That was a good suggestion Otto.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks for all the information everyone. I placed an order for the LX2. I will use this camera for the trip and after the PMA announcements I will look into a 'higher' end unit like the GRII . A major factor for my decision was the 16:9 ability as well as RAW. I compared the LX2 and D-LUX3 user manuals and they are 99% similar. Which makes me wonder if one used the flash bios for the D-LUX3 on the LX2 would it open up new possibilities for the LX2? Maybe all that is different is the firmware? I will wait for the warranty to run out before tinkering with that idea! LOL

Will post some new trial images soon, thanks again.
Thomas
I wouldn't bother playing with the firmware, even later on. Just shoot RAW and process to taste. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Sean

H

hiro

if one used the flash bios for the D-LUX3 on the LX2 would it open up new possibilities for the LX2? Maybe all that is different is the firmware?
Maybe I'm cynical but I think all that is different is the red Leica badge on the front! When I compared some LX2 and D-Lux3 jpeg shots of the same scenes taken at the same time, the only difference I could see was that the LX2 shots had 10% more sharpening (that is, if I applied 10% sharpening in Irfanview to a DLux-3 shot, it became identical to the LX2 shot). This slight reduction in in-camera sharpening reduced the apparent noise slightly. I'm sure you could get the same result with the LX2 by setting it to its softer setting instead of using the default. I would note that I had to view the images at 200% magnification to discern the difference between them, it was that subtle. Some people have said they think the Leica gives a slightly different colour rendering but I didn't see any difference in the landscape shots I compared.

gromitspapa

I think part of the price difference is in the longer warranty on the Leica and extra stuff that's included with the camera.

T

TMGraphics

I saw the same similarities, and initially the LX2 was my first choice from the oodles of reviews and images researched. Then I started reading about the GRDII and GX-100 :)
I will be at the PMA after the initial business, and hope there will be some neat new toys to handle! I think this "get me by for now for an out of town business meeting" camera will be a welcome side road endeavor to my daily photographic activities.

Thomas

Otto

That was a good suggestion Otto.

Cheers,

Sean
Thanks Sean,

I hoped that it would be taken in the right spirit. I tend to stay a step behind rather than on the "bleeding" edge.

I will be subscribing to your review site in the near future as I believe I can probably learn from the reviews, and other articles, regardless if I'm in the market at this time. I'm sure that much of your insight can be utilized on other cameras as well.

I really enjoy this website. There seems to be an atmosphere of camaraderie here that I don't find in many other public forums.

Good shooting,
Otto...

F

Flavio

I really enjoy this website. There seems to be an atmosphere of camaraderie here that I don't find in many other public forums.

Good shooting,
Otto...

Otto and all friends,
I completely agree. This forum (and connections) appear to be a very nice place to talk and realize about cameras and pictures as well as improve my photo knowledge. Thanks!

fg

T

TMGraphics

Allow me to 3rd that motion! In the short time I have been here on this site I have learned alot from all the knowledge shared by its members. I also have learned alot from Sean's site with his wonderful reviews.
I should get the camera tomorrow and will tinker with it this weekend, so look for some images soon!

Thanks everyone,
Thomas

nostatic

I got the Digilux-3 and I can say that framing 16x9 has changed quite a few of my shots. It's funny because even though I generally would crop to roughly 16x9, I was still looking at 4x3 when I composed it. Seeing and "seeing" are two different things.

Enjoy the LX-2, but if it is as slippery as the Digilux-3, keep a good grip on it or you'll end up with nice dents like mine now has. I don't think warranty covers that :p

T

TMGraphics

Thank for the tip! Maybe a little Gorilla Snot might be in order to tack up the ol' fingers?!