Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: color vs. black and white

Post Thanks / Like

color vs. black and white

at shooter's suggestion i'm wondering if we can pin down our differing emotional reactions to color and black and white. here are two of the same scene from another thread. what's the difference in meaning and feeling?

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. here's a gallery of infrared with the dp1, just to complicate the issue!

http://www.pbase.com/moonlite/infrared_with_dp1
    Last edited by smokysun; 27th March 2009 at 09:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: color vs. black and white

Wayne, somehow I feel youīve selected a rather extreme example, or itīs just me....

The colour version just doesnīt work for me; while the composition is OK, and the tree shadows do help a little, itīs kind of trivial, no mystery. The multicoloured bundle on the bench looks like a homeless person, but fails to raise any compassion, because itīs just too incidental in this image.

The B/W one is broodingly mystical (almost excessively so, like a Hitchcock scene...). The tree branches, so trivial in colour against a blue sky, make an exquisite pattern (just waiting for the Birds, to continue the Hitchcock metaphor). And, suddenly, that unfortunate person on the bench is reduced to something unidentifiable, but menacing or at least disturbing....

I always am quite partial to B/W, but this pair of images look like a paedagogic illustration of why.....

Looking forward to more examples (Sean has a few on his site, but thatīs just for the paying guests... )

Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes wonder if one of the underlying reasons that we find B&W more interesting is simply because we see in B&W at night. Night time is, in nature, when animals have to be more alert and look much harder at their surroundings either to see their next meal or to avoid being one! We have evolved to pay more attention to a B&W image of our world and so we find a B&W view of the same scene more compelling, sometimes compulsive even, than if it were in colour.

Not saying there aren't lots of more subtle and sophisticated reasons as well, but I wonder if the root of them all is the basic instinct?
    Last edited by Will; 3rd February 2009 at 01:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne,

An interesting question.

To me the B&W image has far more tension. A sense that something is going on rather than a record of something. This is not always the way but here I feel differently about the person on the bench in the B&W version.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My own theory may be too simplistic, but I find shapes and spacial/object relationships easier to detect in B&W than with color. Often the color itself overwhelms and causes my "processor" to bog down, which is just enough lag to get in the way of understanding an image.

It can have other effects as well. Like a plateful of alien food, weird coloration (as in the oddly warm and cloying color of the sample) sometimes triggers unpleasant feelings.

On the other hand, color can be exquisite in a way that B&W cannot. When it all comes together, color can be joyous and add an extra dimension. One aspect of that "new dimension" is a sense of being current or in the moment. There's a tiny fragment of my brain that sees all B&W as "old" and/or an attempt to feel "old", as if making an image look like something done 50 years ago will somehow elevate the image beyond it's real strengths and weaknesses.

But these are just impressions from a pre-breakfast mind. I frequently go back and forth between color and b&w without a lot of actual evidence that I know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In this particular file the B&W evokes the mystique whereas the color is just another photo waiting for interpretation. I really do like B&W but find it much more difficult for myself to process than color, not sure why that is.

Post Thanks / Like

per,
    i did choose these because the differences seemed so extreme (and surprised me). i agree with your evaluation. the picture a cross between landscape and reportage. in color it falls in the middle. but posterized i suspect the color could make a ad for something like: taking the train is best. everything could be simplified. and most good color photos seem to depend upon some kind of simplification.

will,
    a very interesting observation, one only a cat lover could have. cats see in b&w and at night they suddenly come alive! it's quite amazing. certainly there's a mystery in the night, part of dreams and imagination. and the need for closer observation, never thought of that connection.

ed,
    i took a lot of versions of this. however, i didn't want to go in close. then it's merely a homeless person on a bench. his yellow blanket was what attracted me. alas, i couldn't make it stand out enough. in the b&w much of the picture simply disappears, goes black, and the white blanket catches the eye. or so it seems to me.

TR,
    i do think time (our perception of it in photographs) a very significant issue. and since the major interest here seems to be in reportage and street photography with small cameras, time and its passage and weight on people and events seems more easily portrayed in black and white. color in many instances is almost too present. yet in nudes and portraits that can be a virtue. compare martin parr and alex webb. parr really does portraits (of people and food) while webb is a street-reporter who manages to depersonalize people in a scene and give it the feeling of b&w: time passing, individuals caught up in a web (ah, a pun) of circumstances. physical sensuality, is it best hinted at in b&w or can it work better in a garish or subtle color? (david la chapelle or paul outerbridge: http://www.photoeye.com/bookstore/ms...?catalog=gm056 ). color often seems to work best in posed and/or controlled situations.

bb,
    interesting. i actually find b&w a lot easier. color, for all the reasons mentioned, resists meaning.

thanks, everybody. very interesting responses so far.

best,
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. parr and webb both magnum photographers: http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/...PXX=SubPanel10
    Last edited by smokysun; 3rd February 2009 at 09:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I misled you when I said process I should have said postprocess. I struggle with the conversion of the photo file from color to B&W when I am the person physically processing the photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    at shooter's suggestion i'm wondering if we can pin down our differing emotional reactions to color and black and white. here are two of the same scene from another thread. what's the difference in meaning and feeling?

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. here's a gallery of infrared with the dp1, just to complicate the issue!

http://www.pbase.com/moonlite/infrared_with_dp1
    Wayne

My observation is that the sky/cloud transitions, juxtaposed with the barren tree limbs, makes for a very mysterious effect. You can read into it what you like but it is hard to ignore in black and white. The same transitions, going from sunny blue to ice white simply doesn't convey the same tensions. Put the house on a hill and make it a little older and you have the scene from "Psycho."

Very very good

Woody

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we're missing the Bigger Picture here....just an observation...
    Perhaps it's not about any image in particular but about process....

I am interested in a few things...first being,
    in your quest for images, when you decide something works, how and why do you decide to choose between b&w or color.....

or....

is the decision an afterthought that happens on the visualization of the image....and then you process and convert one way or another.....

For me...it's always been b&w...of course I see in color but the act of capturing and processing to b&w has always been a spiritual process....it still is...

Even now in the digital age, it's so easy to convert to almost anything and still b&w does it for me....So....
    where are you at on this journey......?

nei1

Black and white is a process of limitation and hence restriction.It is and always has been the walls that create art not the breaking of them or the liberation from imprisonment.The artist must always be in one sort of jail to show others the way out.
    If you have another look at parrs colour work you can see colour has been used as structure in the image,almost a deliberate crossover from black and white to colour,indicating to me just how tough the transition is,a very underestimated photographer...my point is that if an artist does break out of jail its only to find himself in another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

nei1,
    Do you really feel limited in your photography? Do you feel restrictions? I don't mean by cameras, computers, darkrooms etc...I mean by the process of seeing/recording.....

For me, the only time I ever feel complete is making images....When I am not doing some sort of process, I feel disconnected from the world as if a part of me is not awake...Carrying a camera and working...is like being in touch with THE LORD, the universe, the earth, the city, life air etc....

I could never feel restricted or limited and wonder what creates these things.....

nei1

If the restrictions were not there we might all be with youre lord,life the universe and everything;dead for want of a better word.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey man,
    sorry if you don't feel life's blood in your photography..but don't shame on me because I do...in fact I certainly am not the only one.....I was taught to connect by the best, many of the best.....so I am carrying on a tradition that I and others respect....

thanks....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is our chalk and our paper.
    The chalk changes as does the paper, the quest does not.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Bob......
    I'm gonna post a portrait of a friend of mine who passed on some time ago...I think you will recognize him.....I did a portrait of him with my 8 x 10 Deardorff and made him a platinum print.....

Pleas understand that these images are collectable and are in major collections both public and private, thus the poor reproduction....

The top is....Harry Callahan
    The middle is Harry Bertoia and the Bottom is
    Edmund Bacon, we were working on a book together at the time of his passing.....

I have more if the interest is there....
    don
    Last edited by Streetshooter; 3rd February 2009 at 15:56.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well
    I think this is really simple. If the colour adds something, then it's colour . . . if it doesn't then it should be black and white; because the composition and intention is clearer.

The problem is deciding when colour adds something, in this shot (at least with this colour) it clearly doesn't.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

will,
    i'd like to go back to your thesis: b&w attracts us as that's how we see at night.
    in his book "the inner game of outdoor photography" galen rowell has an essay called: 'the doors of perception (p.48)' where he discusses the retenix theory of edward land, poloroid inventor. i quote,

"Land conclusively demonstrated in several ways that the eye senses only black and white and that our experience of color is entirely a construct of our minds that varies tremendously.

"Although texts continue to say that the cones in our eyes see color, while rods see only black and white, Land has turned the tables to make subjects sense color with strictly their rods in extremely low light. He has also demonstrated how almost all common colors can be made to appear from information delivered by a triplet of cones that are not responsive to 'individual' colors. In a process somewhat like merging black and white negatives made with different filters, the three types of cones deliver colorless responses to broad, overlapping bands of wavelengths together with all-important lightness information about reflectivity derived by comparison of the triplet of responses. The color is in our heads."

"Land's radical answer is that our eyes don't respond to color at all. Quite literally, color is a figment of our imagination."

he follows up with two more essays 'eye of the beholder' and 'visual reality'.

http://www.amazon.com/Galen-Rowells-...3713141&sr=1-2

so, in this scenerio b&w photos remove interpretation! and show the world as it really is.

far-fetched? rowell discusses an anthropologist on mars by oliver sacks and the first essay 'the case of the colorblind artist'. it's an amazing substantiation of your theory. an auto accident and concussion cause a 65 year old painter to lose his ability to see color. at first he thinks he still knows how color looks and paints with it. but he doesn't (examples given). eventually he not only accepts his condition but makes hay of it, working at night in b&w and walking lamplit streets. in other words, this man becomes a cat, able to see in the dark. take a look at the essay. i'm pretty sure you will find it fascinating.

http://www.amazon.com/Anthropologist...3713083&sr=8-1

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. for me creation is never finished, hence inventions, babies, and art. it's our job to carry it on with whatever talents and resources we have.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wills analysis intrigues me, I do have Cats and see what you mean Wayne.
    My take has heretofore been that color tends, tho not always, to the surface. B&W deals more with substance, form, lighting if you will.
    B&W, when effective, draws me in deeply. Wills insight might well explain some of that....
    Interesting excercise Wayne!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, Yeah Harry Callahan!
    I recognize him, and his work as well.
    He has a certain humbleness of craft and exquisite street shots that I admire.
    I am not as familiar with the works of the other two.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

another version added to the mix.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp
    Last edited by smokysun; 30th March 2009 at 09:32.

nei1

Streetshooter you seem to have deliberatly misinterpreted what was said,no offence was intended to you or your beliefs.Your portraits look to be very fine,I would certainly like to see more. regards,Nei1.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne thanks for the information.
    Although it is a theory (hunch) I had come to independently, I had expected that many more learned people than myself would have already had similar thoughts and researched it. I will look forward to following your links.

I'm an avid follower of the phenomenal acceleration of scientific exploration and discovery currently happening, much of which is to do with the brain and how it interprets information and extrapolates, from that, about the world around us.

Lilly, I've always suspected that cat people have a slight superiority to those who don't have our insight. It is the only reason I can see for why cats are prepared to put up with us

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nei1,
    None taken. It's good for us to know
    about each other and what we are.
    It's just the human condition....

Photography keeps me in the here and
    now. Otherwise I'm just drifting.....
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne,

Your second colour version seems to convey the foreboding mood of the B&W. I like it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me, Color borders on sentimentality, whereas b&w creates
    a new reality. Thru the years scanning my body of work
    It seems that about 5% is color. What this means to me
    is that my clients respond to b&w also.

One issue for me is, I do raw only. Then when editing the work,
    I see color images and my receptors are confused.
    In myond at the moment of release, I visualized
    a b&w image. So editing becomes more of a chore
    because I have to re-photograph in my mind
    to find the b&w image again.

Anyway, I apoligize if I offended anyone...it's
    just passion...what's life without passion....
    don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cats vs. dogs, MAC vs. PC, Color vs. B&W. It's fantastic! What a boring world it would be if we were all the same. Having said that.... dogs rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My cat doesn't agree with that.......

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, ed. color seems to suffer when there's too much detail.

best,
    wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Hi Wayne,

Your second colour version seems to convey the foreboding mood of the B&W. I like it a lot.
    I was thinking that.
    Looks like it was taken at dusk, or, put another way, nearly night time.

nei1

These comments could only have come from the digital age where a photograph can be colour or black and white ,the choice made after the event and possibly from younger photographers than myself who have less experience of film.The idea that Im using b and w because I see in black and white at night is frankly laughable,to chose to put something into b and w after the event is another thing and is a choice only a digital effects affectionado would or could contemplate.I use black and white because it simplifies what im looking at into what I want to show,the boogie man does not enter the equation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See, there's the problem......the boogie man gets into my stuff when I open a file and see color.......That's an issue I have with the DP1...the screen is in color...I don't use it really, the viewfinder is better but sometimes when I want to check an image when I'm bored.....well, then I see it in color...I just hate that...

the GX-200 at least is smart enuff to show me B&W on the screen....
    that's a camera having respect for the photographer.....

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If colours don't add anything to a photo, it often makes sense to take them away. Many portraits are obvious examples. In a face, the lines make up the interesting parts. Lines are emphasized in b&w, while colours tend to hide them, mostly without adding anything essential.

In the OP's photo, the whole scene is changed by converting to b&w. In the colour version, I look at the house (and for some reason, I wonder why it isn't yellow, like the "thing" on the bench).

When converted to b&w, the trees stand out in a completely different way, since the colours don't obstruct the lines of the branches against the sky. From being something that hides the view to the house, the branches become the important element of the photo. And because the trees become better defined, the house stands out more clearly as well. I don't even care what colour it has any more.

Or at least, this is what I see

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    These comments could only have come from the digital age where a photograph can be colour or black and white ,the choice made after the event and possibly from younger photographers than myself who have less experience of film.The idea that Im using b and w because I see in black and white at night is frankly laughable,to chose to put something into b and w after the event is another thing and is a choice only a digital effects affectionado would or could contemplate.I use black and white because it simplifies what im looking at into what I want to show,the boogie man does not enter the equation.
    Hmmm
    I guess I might be even older than you Neil (not by much of course ). But I really relish this 'after the event' stuff.
    Having said that, I always know whether a shot is destined to be black and white or colour when I shoot it (I think I'd worry about my artistic cred if I didn't), but what a luxury to be able to mix it with the same camera without changing film, and how lovely to have the opportunity to be able to change your mind, or perhaps to make two pictures after the event.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    I think this post is frankly patronizing.
    Last edited by Will; 4th February 2009 at 15:55. Reason: The original was rather to colourful, pun intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hmmm
    I guess I might be even older than you Neil (not by much of course ). But I really relish this 'after the event' stuff.
    Having said that, I always know whether a shot is destined to be black and white or colour when I shoot it (I think I'd worry about my artistic cred if I didn't), but what a luxury to be able to mix it with the same camera without changing film, and how lovely to have the opportunity to be able to change your mind, or perhaps to make two pictures after the event.
    amen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Having said that, I always know whether a shot is destined to be black and white or colour when I shoot it...
    That's an interesting comment. I usually don't have a clue if the photo will end up as colour or b&w when I take it. Goes to prove that there aren't really any answer that suits all photographers and all situations, doesn't it?

I went through this process with the photo below, and although I prefer the b&w version in many ways, it takes away the important element of colourful chaos behind the counter. It goes from being a description of an everyday scene, to becoming an environmental portrait. A big difference in my book.

Sorry for the off-topic camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in Jono's camp on this one (although he's not paying me to say so). I am very tired of people speaking of digital as if it's a four-letter word. I learned on film and shot every size and shape of it for a good 15 years. I still think there are some wonderful advantages to film. But digital has just as many, albeit different advantages. The film vs. digital discussion is getting increasingly boring and counterproductive. Love one, or both, but don't preach to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    I'm in Jono's camp on this one (although he's not paying me to say so). I am very tired of people speaking of digital as if it's a four-letter word. I learned on film and shot every size and shape of it for a good 15 years. I still think there are some wonderful advantages to film. But digital has just as many, albeit different advantages. The film vs. digital discussion is getting increasingly boring and counterproductive. Love one, or both, but don't preach to me.
    It don't remember when, but since I can remember it at all, it can't have been more than 30-40 years ago, there was a big discussion in Oslo if photography could be considered art, and if it should be allowed into the Autumn Exhibition of Modern Art, a big annual event in Norway.
    Edit: I checked. The first photo was exhibited in 1971. The exhibition has been arranged annually since 1882. That's 89 years without photos, although photos did exist all the time. Digital has probably had a faster way in.

Surprisingly many seem to think that one form of art or technology should automatically exclude others within the same genre. History has shown again and again that this is not the case. If it was, who on earth would pay anything for those old, obsolete Rembrandt paintings?
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 4th February 2009 at 16:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Stieglitz resolved that issue with Gallery 291 and that was many years before 40 years ago....

Let's face it, photographer's make photographs for other photographers......

don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    say what?

you may be speaking for yourself and, perhaps, others here -- but you certainly aren't speaking for me.

Post Thanks / Like

jorgen,
    very, very nice examples. you've put your finger on one of biggest questions: how does meaning change, according to whether you're using color or b&w. in the color she seems more captured by work and it's a story about work (and maybe romance). in the b&w it seems more about personal revery, being alone in a crowd. this discussion is useful (to me) if it pinpoints the differences in effect on the viewer. true, we each have personal preferences as to process, but the final arbiter is not ourselves. that's why almost all the iconic photos have been made by professionals. how you get there is personal. what you end up with will hopefully not be only that.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. looked at the big new eggleston book again today. one key: he uses a subdued older processing - the dye-transfer print - and it puts his photos in the 50's. parr does something similar with his garishness, a way to escape the too-present nature of color.

JCdeR

Isn't it all just a matter of personal preference?

I would reckon one can discuss until the end of days but there is no academically sound end result.

Myself, I love B&W but only (mostly) the tri-x rodinal look, orange or red-filtered, dramatic and overpowering. The smooth stuff looks OK but wouldn't hang it on my wall, others have other opinions.

JCdeR

Btw. I like this forum, it actually discusses the end result as opposed to the technical possibilities and benchmarks/comparisons of the hardware. Compared to some forums I visit, won't mention any names (LUF!) this is very refreshing, friendly and positive of character. Photography is about the end result (the actual image) and possibilities thereof rather than spreadsheet analyses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Well, Stieglitz resolved that issue with Gallery 291 and that was many years before 40 years ago....

don
    That only shows how long time it takes sometimes, in this case from being accepted in New York in 1905 to Oslo in 1971.

As for photographers making... some photographers do, and other photographers often react differently to an image compared to those who are not photographers. But then, some of the pixel peepers at dpreview react differently ("Your image wasn't taken with a Canon/Nikon/Pentax/Sony... , so it can't be good.") to photos than the rather civilised crowd at this forum.

I mostly take photos for myself, and I'm endlessly surprised whenever somebody else enjoys looking at it.

wbrandsma

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I mostly take photos for myself, and I'm endlessly surprised whenever somebody else enjoys looking at it.
    I am on your site Jorgen. B&W is for me a personal expression. It has not to do with how I want to see things, but more how I feel about it, how I think. Nothing after the image was taken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Art and the making of it seems to inflame passions.
    It is funny, when I load up my MP with a roll of B&W I hunt for B&W images.
    On the other hand color seems to pour out when I shoot with my digital cameras. For me it is more of a subject thing than a tool thing, but the tools influence the artist. Form, contrast, and texture seems to be the stuff the my B&Ws are made of. They tend to be more abstract and less literal. With some cameras like the M8, one can set them to make B&W preview jpegs. I find that helps me with re-creating the B&W experience and grounds me a bit better. With the chimping habit being well established with my use of lcd-backed cameras it helps with the correlation of the pre-visualized shot and the instantaneous feedback.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Art and the making of it seems to inflame passions.
    It is funny, when I load up my MP with a roll of B&W I hunt for B&W images.
    I do that too when I shoot film too, like this week with the OM-3. With digital, the process tends to become a bit more confused.

Post Thanks / Like

either b&w or color can be a relief, depending on circumstances. eastern europe and russia around the fall of the berlin wall included a very drab atmosphere. color must have been craved. whereas we're so bombarded with it, a b&w photo might be a bit of peace, like stepping for a moment into a church on manhattan.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

"The world isn't a question to be answered, rather a mystery to be lived."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    either b&w or color can be a relief, depending on circumstances. eastern europe and russia around the fall of the berlin wall included a very drab atmosphere. color must have been craved. whereas we're so bombarded with it, a b&w photo might be a bit of peace, like stepping for a moment into a church on manhattan.

wayne
    www.pbase.com/wwp

"The world isn't a question to be answered, rather a mystery to be lived."
    That makes a lot of sense.