The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with DP1 Closeup Lenses

DavidE

I wanted to see how well the DP1 would perform with a stack of closeup lenses. Would the 3-D qualities of Foveon sensor still shine through? Would the Bokeh look OK?

For these shots, I attached the Sigma AML-1 closeup lens along with three 46mm Tiffen closeup lenses: +4, +2, and +1. There was very little DOF, and since I was hand-holding the camera, getting an exact focus proved tricky.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/80 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

ISO 100, f/4, 1/30 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

DavidE

ISO 100, f/4, 1/80 second

DavidE

ISO 100, f/4, 1/30 second

smokysun

david,
mine arrived five minutes ago in the mail and i did exactly the same thing! surprised at the sharpness through all the lenses. thanks for the pics. looking forward to the fun after the rain stops.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

DavidE

Wayne, let me know how it works out. I'm still finding my way with the closeup lenses and could use some pointers.

Here's one with just the Sigma AML-1 closeup lens (no vignetting). I stopped down to f/11 for an increased DOF.

ISO 100, f/11, 1.6 seconds

DavidE

Wayne, your macro and infrared images are both impressive and inspiring. You have an excellent eye for composition. Is the infrared effect strictly from an IR filter, or did you have the DP1 internally modified?

Here's another shot using the stacked closeup lenses.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/40 second

DavidE

Oops. Actually, my bad, Wayne. I should have looked more closely at your post, as well as the referenced site, to see who should receive the credit. No matter, those are excellent images.

Here's another one using the full kit of closeup lenses.

ISO 100, f/9, 1.6 seconds

DavidE

This is an old Kodak 35mm camera my father purchased probably in the 1950s. The lens is more-or-less permanently attached to the camera.

ISO 100, f/11, 3.2 seconds