The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new dp1 fan

gallery7

first frame or two from the new (well used but new to me dp1). i bought it to shoot documentary work after trying a friends out. loaded up the new firmware and i absolutely love the whole manual focus with the scale in feet!
i am a display off, scale focus external finder kind of guy and the dp1 seems to fit quite well so far...

anyhow, on to the first frames! this is from a project i am working on documenting the UnitProject in London, Ontario.
info can be found here - http://www.unityproject.ca

please feel free to comment or offer criticism. remember... the first frames! so take it easy on me! zone focused, iso 800 at f4

Last edited:

trisberg

Very nice. You'll have fun with this camera.

I just got one as well and like what I have seen so far. Using manual focus and using focus lock activated via AEL button works really well. Also configured to use the zoom buttons to change ISO. This lets me change all important settings without using the menus.

Here are a couple pictures shot in the car at ISO 400.

-Thomas

Last edited:

Lili

Gallery7, excellent start! The lighting in each image is so different, yet so apt to the subjects....i'm hard pressed to say which I prefer!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Gallery7, two great shots. Ambient light?

A question, and please forgive my ignorance if I'm way off here: although these two in b&w look great, doesn't the Foveon sensor favour colour, particularly if you need resolution for larger formats?

gallery7

it may very well be that the foveon is particularly suited for color. that seems in tune with what i have read.
i bought it specifically to be a silent, compact high iso shooter (b+w) though. it was more about form and function i suppose. kind of like my pocket tri-x machine... pushed one stop of course.
the first image was flashed (powered down -2). the second ambient light for sure...
trisberg- nice job there. i was quite pleased with the ability to set iso via the zoom buttons. it basically made the camera very functional for me as i tend to shoot without the lcd and very rarely dive into the menu's while i am working.
thank you for your kind comments Lili.
i will try and continue to post as the project unfolds.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
G.......that 1st image.....the eyes and those buttons.....
nuff said.....

tris...how did you get the AEL focus lock to work in manual focus?

below...manual focus w/finder....only way to go....

Last edited:

trisberg

The focus lock only works in AF (SetUp - AEL Button Settings - AF Center AF Lock) but it's easy to use as a substitute for manual scale focusing. I can just point the camera at the distance I want to shoot, push the AEL button to lock focus at that distance. Now the focus distance is locked until I push the AEL button again to unlock it.

-Thomas

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thomas,
Thanks. I'm set up that way also. I thought it
was a quick way to get auto focus lock over riding
the MF. Like if you move in close for a quick portrait
and want critical focus.....
don

B

Bill Wilby

Of note to people interested in Sigma cameras and the Dp1, I am one of Canada's largest Sigma camera dealers, that isn't hard to do, and I have the DP1 on our site at a reduced cost. We are closed for two weeks for a short break but when I come back the offer will include a EF 140 flash and a HA 11 hood at the same cost. I also stock all of the Dp1 accessories. Of further note to people living in the U.S. I ship from a U.S. post office near our store. I will be taking my Dp1 on our trip and would have also been taking my SD14 if it weren't for that small light Panasonic hanging around my neck. Cheers Bill Wilby

bbodine9

Streetshooter a question:

How do you obtain manual focus with an optical viewfinder without using the lcd screen? I cannot argue with the results just cannot quite figure out the process. Thanks!

simonclivehughes

It's really just zone focussing. Set the manual focus wheel to the appropriate distance for the aperture and just shoot away.

Cheers,

O

Oxide Blu

The focus lock only works in AF (SetUp - AEL Button Settings - AF Center AF Lock) but it's easy to use as a substitute for manual scale focusing. I can just point the camera at the distance I want to shoot, push the AEL button to lock focus at that distance. Now the focus distance is locked until I push the AEL button again to unlock it.

The DP1 doesn't have a separate AF and AE locks?

gallery7

Re: Streetshooter a question:

How do you obtain manual focus with an optical viewfinder without using the lcd screen? I cannot argue with the results just cannot quite figure out the process. Thanks!
i'll give you the condensed vs. of how i go about it. i came from working on rangefinders so i have a few years of doing it under the belt. try not to get frustrated if your "guestimating" takes a bit to work out.

for me i have a set "range" that i work in. for a 28mm lens, and people i tend to stay in a 4-6 foot range. i set the the focal distance at 6 feet, f4, iso 800 (in these particular circumstances), screen off, all sounds off and shoot away essentially. at f4, due to focal length and sensor size there's enough depth of field to accommodate any rapid change in range. any more significant change in range and my feet take over.

there is of course the ole "hyperfocal trick" i have been hearing about but, well you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

trisberg

Thomas,
Thanks. I'm set up that way also. I thought it
was a quick way to get auto focus lock over riding
the MF. Like if you move in close for a quick portrait
and want critical focus.....
don
Yes, I wish you could do that. I find that in MF it's easy to inadvertently change focus as you walk around so AF Lock works better, but now you have to keep the camera turned on and the battery seems to get used up fairly quickly.

Here's one from today

Last edited:

ecliffordsmith

Gallery7,

Welcome to the forum. I like the second image you posted especially. Personally I am looking forward to the arrival of DP2. The 40mm EFOV is just what I have been waiting for.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
G7,
Your recent post....the second image
works great. I love the way the door
frame surrounds the guy...
The white line adds to the disconnection
of the 2.
They are so close yet so distant...
nice, very nice... shooter

gallery7

merci streetshooter... it was all your promo work over on rff that put the dp1 in my hands.

i am surprised that there isn't more positive noise about it. for a small, silent, scale focus shooter it is pretty much perfect. if the write times could be improved and the buffer made a little deeper it would be ideal!

MisiekBunnik

merci streetshooter... it was all your promo work over on rff that put the dp1 in my hands.

i am surprised that there isn't more positive noise about it. for a small, silent, scale focus shooter it is pretty much perfect. if the write times could be improved and the buffer made a little deeper it would be ideal!
Well the ' big' review sites made the enthusiastic group a bit smaller! :)

And for the buffer: sometimes for speed in writing I do use ' just' jpeg from time to time, if exposure is right i find that even than in Lightroom or other software there is enough room to play with the files.