The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

question

J

JCdeR

for the past weeks I have been using small, portable cameras; dp-1 and grd-II... as an addition to one of these (I think the DP-1 will go) I would like something with a longer focal range, but still good quality images. I can't get along with the G10 ot the LX-3 the focal range is to short anyway. I am looking at some 35-120-ish solution, is there such a camera available on the market today? .... it need to be pocketable, pocketable like the GRD and not like the G10

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The G9 is a little smaller than the G10 and has great IQ. I sold mine to get a G10 and I wish I didn't....sold the G10 also.....

Maybe Lili would have a good suggestion......
don

J

JCdeR

Thanks Don,

the G9 though would be a tad to big as well. I have tried the G10 and its about the same size isn't it.
I find that since using the GRD-II I take it along everywhere, it fits happily inside everything I wear and my results have been very promising. Compared to other cameras I have used I find the Auto-white balance to be particularly good as well as the overall IQ.
Preferably I would like the GRD-II with a fixed 80mm lens or so.

For me I think portability is equaly important (at least) to IQ

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

I think there are quite few people looking for the same camera. I am not sure that it exists at the moment though. Have you considered a Panasonic LX2 or the Leica equivalent?

There was a group test at dpreview test a few months ago. Have you checked that?

Rick Waldroup

I hear ya. I wish for the same thing. I have the 40mm auxillary lens for my GRDII and optically, it is fine, but with the adapter and hood and all, it makes the camera stand out in a crowd and I shoot a lot of street stuff, so I don't like that at all.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Rick,

Perhaps the DP2 when it arrives could be your thing? Personally I will find it very hard to resist. The 41 EFOV is pretty much all I need.

Will

The GX200 isn't far off with its 70mm EFOV. Get the new leave on lens cap and it comes quite close to the convenience and portability of the GRD2.

Last edited:

Rick Waldroup

Hi Rick,

Perhaps the DP2 when it arrives could be your thing? Personally I will find it very hard to resist. The 41 EFOV is pretty much all I need.

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing. Plus, if it will get cleaner files at higher ISO's that would be a big plus. I have never seen a DP1 in person, so I do not know how big it is. Is it slightly bigger than the GRD? I am assuming the DP2 will be about the same size as the DP1?

J

JCdeR

Yes, if slightly affordable the DP-2 will be on my list. But I gather it will be expensive.

Will

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing. Plus, if it will get cleaner files at higher ISO's that would be a big plus. I have never seen a DP1 in person, so I do not know how big it is. Is it slightly bigger than the GRD? I am assuming the DP2 will be about the same size as the DP1?
The DP1 is quite a bit bigger than the GRD or GX200 but it is probably more pocketable than the G10 I would think.

V

VladimirV

I think the GX200 is the one that comes closest to what you are looking for. It is almost a GRD II with a zoom lens. If you get the teleadapter for it will also give you 135mm but make it slightly bigger in this case.