The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

dp1 as a street shooter

V

VladimirV

The issue with the Ricoh finder is that it's 3:4 ratio rather than 2:3, so you need to be aware of the difference when framing.

-Thomas
Ah, for some reason I thought the DP1 shoots in 4:3 format.

W

wbrandsma

Thank you John for posting. Very good photographs indeed. Looking through your Unity gallery I really like this one too.

gallery7

thank you very much my friend. the truth of course is that the pictures are only good thanks to the graciousness of the subjects.

many, many thanx for your kind words and interest.

gallery7

thank you very much sandy... i really appreciate all the input! please keep an eye on the site and feel free to spread the word as it is a very worthy project. all proceeds from the project (as it develops) will be turned back into the development of the Unity Project.

Marc Wilson

Great black and white shots.
Does the dp1 have a black and white setting for raw shooting or is this done in post. If an in camera setting how do people find this setting compared to shooting in raw colour and converting via dxo film pack or similar purely in terms of geting a relaistic film look..eg for plus-x or tri-x?
I've been shooting recently with a rangefinder and black and white film and really loving it (I usually shoot medium format film for my fine art and digital for commercal work) but have loved the compact rangefinder experience for black and white personal work...but also need to be able to shoot in colour at a whim for stock shots with the one discreet camera, so looking at the DP1 with external viewfinder as possible not too costly (rd-1 /M8) compact discreet simple solution.

Cheers,

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk

Marc Wilson

Cheers,
I assumed as much but never hurts to ask!
So with this dp1 sensor are people shooting at the same iso as the desired film look speed (i.e. 400 for tri-x / 100 for plus-x, and then using silver efx, dxo or similar) or getting best results from the cleanest raw file (shot at lowest iso) and then efx'ed?

Cheers,

Marc

simonclivehughes

Personally, I always try to use the lowest ISO I can for a given situation, but as others point out, the DP1 is easily pushed. Even the f4 lens can fool you... you can get very nice bokeh wide open.

Ciao,

cam

SPP has a very nice monochrome mode where you can see and/or convert all your images easily if you don't want to mess with a lot of PP. it's not as elegant as RAW *and* BW JPEG (so you can see it on your screen), but it's still pretty seamless. you can get a very film-like look and feel just using this, though i usually prefer to do it other ways in PS.

as Simon mentioned, i'm another who prefers to keep it as low as possible, but i never worry about going up to 800 (if you want the "grain" you can always manipulate it in PP). if you want colour, then you really must keep it low.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Cam

That's a very good way to do conversions but...what I do is make the file b&w in SPP, then
do the corrections...then convert back to color...export and import to PS...and convert to B&W in Silver Efex..

This way ya get to see the effects on the conversion as it will be in B&W.....

I like the iso 800 cause it's very nice in B&W...color I would go lower but it's few and far between that I need color....plus at 800 ya can use f8 or f11 and and have great DOF..
shooter