The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New D-Lux 4!!!

iiiNelson

So now that I let "G1 Mania" finally take ahold of me to the point where I was ready to make an impulse buy B&H just so happened to be out of stock. Then I started thinking my original reason for looking at new cameras was that I wanted something pretty small that I could slip in my pocket. I went back to the B&H website to buy a LX3 as my "economic stimulus" purchase... BACKORDERED/ Out-of-Stock!!! So my last resort (before heading out to try to find a store in N. California tomorrow) was to check out the Leica D-Lux 4 and I was very surprised they somewhat recently dropped the price to a more "realistic" $699 (I hadn't checked the price of it since before Christmas time.) So I pondered the idea of paying the premium for the Leica version and considered all the advantages of the D-Lux 4 over the LX3 (Capture One 4 being the largest bonus IMO along with the much nicer looking body and 3 yr warranty) and took the plunge. I recently bought LR 2.2 in anticipation for the G1 or LX3 but now I have a D-Lux 4 coming Friday which it's also compatible with... now the looooooong wait begins!!! I will of course try my hand with Capture One 4 as well because there's a chance I may prefer it over LR 2.2.

I know I've had issues with and have been critical of Leica's business practice at times but not so much their products. They are very good at what they are capable of producing.

iiiNelson

Oh yeah and if anyone is interested Best Buy has 8GB SanDisk Extreme III SDHC (Class 6) cards for $40 right now online.

J

JCdeR

Good on you. DLux4 at such a price, even if it is more expensive than the LX3 is a good price if only for the 3 year guarantee. Within this time you can rest assured that if anything happens Leica will replace the camera without any further ado. And 3 years is a long time for digital cameras....

ecliffordsmith

Hi,

Well done on your new purchase. I must say the SDHC cards are a steal at that price. You cannot get then anything approaching that price here. Good cards though!

iiiNelson

Yeah... It's normally $70 for that card I believe so it's quite a bit of savings for those in need or want.

iiiNelson

It's here now!!! I will post some images soon ad over the weekend if California storms permit...