The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

amateur vs professional

gallery7

i find there is a double edged sword to professional work. please bare in mind i am NOT a commercial photographer... for a lowly press shooter it is extremely difficult to impart any personal "vision" and make enough money to pay the mortgage in the beginning. a large chunk of it is formulated, head to toe, lot's of room to crop into it, faces lit up with no shadows etc etc etc. this is not mandatory but it certainly will increase the revenue potential by appealing to a broader audience. if you have a bunch of dough sunk into kit and a mortgage to pay then this can become a difficult approach to break out of. it takes nerves of steel and a serious commitment to that "vision". perhaps that is why one will see such a dichotomy between the "professional" work and the "personal" work. i guess one needs to refrain from reckless abandon or unfettered "over compensation" when it's personal.

the benefit of the personal work is it gives you the opportunity to try out new ways of seeing things. sometimes that trickles down to the pro world.

it's not all drudgery though... and the article has a hidden balance. there is a middle ground... of course sacrifices need to be made. the money might take a while to return to acceptable levels. i find myself deep into the middle ground as we speak. i shoot more and more documentary work and it allows me a very rare chance to shoot "personal" work in a "professional" context. i am a lucky guy.

smokysun

hi john,
thanks for the sensitive, thoughtful reply. just checked out your site. very telling photos. and i browsed your links. www.lightstalkers.org . shows you're not alone out there. i started out in journalism. alas, it never occurred to me then to be a photographer instead of a writer. the writing part, yes, that was too formulaic too and i got bored, turning to literature (and making money another way). also, though i took photos at the time, the process too slow. digital got me going. best of luck with your career.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. ed and don, thanks for taking the time to read. the web gives us a connection we couldn't have dreamed of only a few years ago!