The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with RX100M4

raist3d

Fantastic to have company Ricardo!

It will be fascinating to see what you make of this camera for your needs.

Cheers

Brian
I can tell you already a lot if you are curious- I think the RX100 MKIV (and MKIII) are surprisingly one of the best "all in one can do it all" cameras out there that fit in a pocket. I never liked the RX100 MK1, but this one clearly has some photographic evolution.

What surprised me the most is that the lens is actually good! As in "this thing has blue crystals from the moons of Saturn" good in terms of capturing light and having this weird "magical light glow and micro contrast" with things. I think this was the biggest surprise. If only Sony did this level of quality with all their lenses *cough* - they have way too much QA variation in their ILC mounts.

My problem though is always at night. I found I can do some reasonable shots at wide / F1.8 but moving people I have to be much more careful. So I am looking at this as my carry at all times "sketch book" camera- like what the Pentax Q was in many ways though the Q had that wonderful super tele photo lens you could put in.

With that said, I feel having an electric zoom while having the win of carrying several focal lengths with you, has the issue of feeling a bit "disconnected." I think in the ideal would I would love if this zoom could be made mechanical, like say the Fuji X30's. One thing I notice I miss from Q/Nikon1 is that "Turn on and ready" because there's no lens to extend.

But, it fits in a pocket and that's also a big win to me. I like small size.

The other thing I have found "ok" is the AF. Sometimes it tends to miss or take longer that I would like. I don't know why Sony has not put phase detection on this line at this point. I can only suspect is one of the improvements in line for the MKV version. The Nikon 1 here does exceptional, though the Nikon 1 AF squares are a bit big and depending on the distance it may focus behind the subject. But it's predictable once you make sure the AF square fills your target.

I have been wondering if I would rather carry my OMD EM5 MKII with the lens cap and "arm/disarm" as I need, but I don't think it's the same experience, and since this camera is like one level smaller, you are that much stealthier. I have been able to document some things that have been some rather nice shots and if a "camera gets me shots" as I say, it's probably worth keeping at least for a while.

What's the other thing? Ah yes, that R1XR MKII. Been thinking about that one as you know. Mainly because it's a compact camera that should have superb "better than I had ever" low light performance, so for street night life that's attractive. Still trying to find more info on it particularly if Sony will enable the Smart Telecon when shooting in RAW mode (doubt it though :-( ).

So I would say, whether I keep or not I am pretty impressed with this camera. I never expected the lens to be as good as it is, particularly in this small size.

- Ricardo

PS: More shots to come soon.

Brian Mosley

As I expected, interesting insights and great images thanks Ricardo. :clap:

Only having the 12-40mm f2.8 pro and similar quality lenses with which to compare the Rx100 m4 zoom, I'm happy the lens gets anywhere close - and with PhotoAcute image stacking gets amazingly close!

I have the rear wheel, left push to 'save memory slot' so that I can assign current settings to a memory slot.

I then power up in 'MR' mode and the zoom lens automatically returns to the saved focal length (eg 35mm equivalent for me). That saves time - unfortunately it doesn't retain the focus setting.

Good luck, and please keep your thoughts and images coming.

Brian

Brian Mosley

Sony have released a firmware update (v1.2) for the RX100 m4 here :
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DSC-RX100M4#SoftwareAndDownloads

Unfortunately, only a single benefit :

Release date: 27/10/2015
◾ Benefits and improvements ◾This update resolves the focus loss issue while recording in HFR (High Frame Rate) mode

I'm pleased to see that Sony are issuing updates, and hope they will bring the 'uncompressed RAW' option to the RX100 m4 also.

Kind regards

Brian

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We were in Rochester, MN this week. It was not a photo trip, but it was fun to have the little RX100 in my purse. I had a few chances to pull it out. My A7rII and A7II were along, but they never came out of the camera bag.
[/URL]Reflections by Cindy Flood, on Flickr

Old and New by Cindy Flood, on Flickr

Reflections2 by Cindy Flood, on Flickr
Plummer Building Bell Tower by Cindy Flood, on Flickr

Door to Plummer Building by Cindy Flood, on Flickr

Old and New by Cindy Flood, on Flickr

Reflections on Mayo Building by Cindy Flood, on Flickr
[/img]

Last edited:

raist3d

I need to go to Rochester- MN to visit some friends. I worked there ages ago. It was also my first winter... BRRRR :)

- Ricardo

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Cindy,
Lots of detail in your pics. It's such a fun little toy, isn't it.
Brian & Karen-lovely landscapes.

Tim

the tiny Rx100 mIII is my goto body for my coin Photography, it does a better job for me then all my full frames.
I think this may be because of the smaller sensor.
I found my GRD IV (2/3 sensor)does macros really well and is easier that the GR which is APS-C

raist3d

That's a torture test for the sensor + lens, tricky exposure!

Great fun.

Brian
I have one with the light area exposed properly, but the subjects are not where I want. The shadow ranger of the Sony sensors is pretty amazing and I could make it work. It's the kind of DR one doesn't expect to see in this camera class.

- Brian- there's a shot you posted in another website I like/find interesting.. its as sort of B&W with some rectangular thing in near the center of the shot? Forgot what it was.

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

Thanks Ricardo,

was it this one?

{Q}DSC03716-DSC03724_PA.jpg

Taken in woods, shooting into sunlight through the trees. It was a HDR shot from a 9 shot burst.

The platform is an overgrown rock.

Kind regards

Brian

raist3d

Thanks Ricardo,

was it this one?
Yes! That one. This has a very strong style and tones.. hard to explain.. like a Chinese ink pen illustration and looks very interesting. If someone said "Brian took that shot" I would have said "what? Really?" - not what I expected to see from you! :)

- Ricardo

Brian Mosley

Ah, that's very interesting feedback Ricardo thank you.

I must try for more of those 'huh?!' reactions. :D

Kind regards

Brian

raist3d

And now for something different from me, though I do shoot more abstract stuff from time to time.

- Ricardo

raist3d

This is a hair stylist / hair cut place whose glass was covered in dew from the cold... and it looked like frosted, kinda nice. Taken tonight when I was having dinner on the way home.

- Ricardo