The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with RX100M4

Brian Mosley

Woohoo, I get to start a new 'fun with...' thread :grin:

DSC-RX100M4
f/2.8 1/16 ISO125

DSC-RX100M4
f/5 1/640 ISO125

DSC-RX100M4
f/5 1/200 ISO125

Finally, a camera I can carry in a pocket with no feeling of compromise for image quality.

Why on earth Sony put it out without the rubber grip attached, I have no idea. A screen protector is also essential.

The electronic shutter makes this a completely silent shooter.

Very exciting little camera!

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Had a chance to take a brief walk this morning, rapidly getting used to the controls and it's a keeper.

DSC-RX100M4
f/4.5 1/320 ISO125

A couple of things to note from my experience this morning...

1. The EVF is invaluable for landscape shooting in bright conditions
2. All controls (zoom, Aperture, Shutter speed, EV compensation) can be changed easily while looking through the evf

Also, it's possible to take a 9 shot raw HDR set hand held in about 1 second... and PhotoAcute recognises the RX100 IV raw files. I'll post an example image when I find a suitable subject.

Kind regards

Brian

Last edited:

tbhv55

Had a chance to take a brief walk this morning, rapidly getting used to the controls and it's a keeper.
Looking good! I've been studiously trying to ignore:rolleyes: the MkIII and MkIV models because my humble MkI is so damned good! (TBH the MkII never got my attention.)

The RX series is just amazing. It's difficult to believe that so much camera functionality fits into such a small space.

I'd be interested to see the 9-shot HDR set results when you have them...

4season

Brian,

Looks like a winner!

I sometimes think that if I had no other camera than my RX100 Mk 1, it actually wouldn't have an adverse effect on my photography, except that I'd have more depth of field and fewer true macro shots. I grumble about this-or-that including the lack of an EVF yet somehow I generally seem to get the shot I was after, so (shrug) go figure.

Jeff

Brian Mosley

Hi Jeff,

I've always been looking for the optimum balance between image quality, useability and portability... this feels like it's almost at the sweet spot.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Playing around with handheld HDR today - the first shot is processed from the properly exposed raw, the second from a 9 shot HDR generated via PhotoAcute straight from raw files.

The only downside is that PhotoAcute doesn't correct for lens distortion - I can export from Capture 1 to tiff, and process those through PhotoAcute if necessary.

DSC-RX100M4
f/5.6 1/80 ISO1250

DSC-RX100M4
f/5.6 1/80 ISO1250 - handheld HDR from 9 shot raw, total time to take the 9 raw shots, around 1second.

Kind regards

Brian

marlof

Nice to see that you're putting the new addition to good use. I have V1 of the RX100, and still like it a lot. The controls are a little less obvious than on the LX100, but it's easily more pocketable.

Brian Mosley

Thanks Marlof,

I've been working too hard for too long, time to reconnect with far more important things.

Thanks for looking, and for commenting. Getdpi has been a constant lifeline for me over the years :)

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Back from our first cruise on the Brittania... 14 days of complete disconnect! :cool:

Coming into Vigo

I'm not entirely happy with the quality of this rendition - not sure if it's google compression making the image soft.

Kind regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Well spotted :) we had a fantastic time in Gran Canaria, and will no doubt return... Although most of my shots were with the E-M1 with 12-40mm f2.8 during our stay.

Thanks for looking

Brian