The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nice little all terrain camera

Rawfa

Panasonic has announced its new collection and it has a pretty cool camera for all terrain shooting. It has a nice 25-300mm lens, new noise reduction technology, etc. It doesn't have manual controls over shutter and aperture or raw, but it looks pretty cool nontheless. Oh, and it shoots HD movies with the new sony/pana standard AVCHD format with high quality audio.
I wonder what will replace the LX3 :) I guess it's selling too good to be replaced right now.

Rawfa

It's funny you should say that. I'm surprised by the amount of people who are starting to go jpeg. I have a lot of friends who are professional photographers who have started shooting more and more jpeg lately. This is something that intrigues me, since I've also been reading many comments like this over multiple photography forums.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I'm die hard raw shooter but....
no doubt back in my press daze ....I'd be doing
jpeg just for the speed.....
Now I could care less about shooting that way.
I'd rather convert myself.....
I need the controll and options raw affords....
don

cam

Rawfa, what's the widest the new Panny goes? that's a problem i've seen with these cams -- most are too slow to use in the rain or after dark and getting focus in those conditions is doubtful.

i prefer RAW, obviously, but i've shot quite wonderful JPEGs in the past and am not a snob that way. one of the favourite shots i've done was JPEG:

so JPEG only is acceptable when you consider that you're not going to mess up your real gear (or possibly not even pull it out) by running around with it in a rainstorm. i'd rather get the shot, period.

bradhusick

My friend climbed to Mt. Everest base camp (18,000 feet) with a Pentax Optio W60 waterproof and cold-resistant point-and-shoot and took stunning photos. He fell into a stream and landed on his back pocket where he had the camera and it took no damage! It only shoots JPEGs but in daylight they are great. I bought one for a Hawaii trip that will include some underwater work. I will post some results here soon. I think it's a steal at $250.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,
TRSmith started a couple of posts on this forum last summer re Pentax W60 and even posted a pic from the bottom of his garden pond! Looked really good and just the thing for taking out in the rain. Might even think about one myself, though shall not be climbing Everest!
Gandolfi.

cam

okay, okay.... one of these days i'll go give my Ricoh another try and post the photos here. i know Lili saw some and quite liked them, i've jest been on the RF jag. i stupidly got the newest, rather than listening to Christian and getting the older one (bigger sensor, better lens, and, most importantly, wider aperture).... i mostly got it for holiday time in Scotland over Christmas -- where it decided to never rain :rolleyes: so i never put it through its paces.

jonoslack

okay, okay.... one of these days i'll go give my Ricoh another try and post the photos here. i know Lili saw some and quite liked them, i've jest been on the RF jag. i stupidly got the newest, rather than listening to Christian and getting the older one (bigger sensor, better lens, and, most importantly, wider aperture).... i mostly got it for holiday time in Scotland over Christmas -- where it decided to never rain :rolleyes: so i never put it through its paces.
Is the ricoh water resistant? My GX100 only took one (very small) splash to go completely bonkers (it recovered after a couple of weeks).

cam

Is the ricoh water resistant? My GX100 only took one (very small) splash to go completely bonkers (it recovered after a couple of weeks).
waterproof. i've taken a bubblebath with it, completely submerged....

with diligent application, the camera could open up huge avenues to explore. i just find it somewhat annoying to use/learn, having gotten used to the elegance of the GRD/GRDII. (you also have to understand that i have never ever used a zoom camera in my life before so that was another annoyance/feature that i didn't know how to handle properly :ROTFL:)

my biggest bugbear with it is the slow aperture. it hunts for focus and really seems to have trouble finding it, even when you think it shouldn't be problematic. to use it in adverse conditions (forget 1600 or higher -- intolerable noise), you have to go to 800 and, because of the sensor size, the noise is not attractive in many circumstances.... then again, i was a witch and only really tested it thoroughly twice: once in the rain/metro and once at a basketball game (where i did get a few surprisingly decent shots).

to be honest, i think i had unfair expectations for the camera and resented it because it meant i wouldn't be buying the Zeiss 25/2.8. i really think it is in a class above the other weather resistant cameras -- but it also weighs twice as much and costs twice as much. for camping and heavy duty use, i would not hesitate to recommend it being worth the $$$. but just to have in your bag in case it rains? overkill.

then again, if you could find a used version of the older model that was based on the original GRD, i'd say snap it up!

Lili

Cam, please do. I did indeed quite like the few shots you showed from your Ricoh G600. Should Popflash get any more or I come across one I wish to try it.
Not that we get that much rain here but where we do the scenes can be fantastic!
Plus the idea of not having to baby a camera from dust and water does have its appeal!