The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's all your fault!

fordfanjpn

And don't try to deny it, you know who you are.

Thanks to certain people on this forum, I just came home with a Fuji F200EXR P&S camera. I needed a jpeg-only P&S like I needed another ... well ... another camera! And just when I'm trying to save up for the DP2. :cry:

Oh well, I guess it'll be a real pocket camera for those times when I don't even want to carry the DP1 around. In the meantime, as soon as the battery charges up, I'll fire it up and see if it can do all the magic tricks it claims to be able to do. Stay tuned.

Bill

Rawfa

Bill, I am just dying to see some F200EXR samples!! You have to post some samples asap. I'm VERY interested in seeing how good it is with high iso in dim light (I really don't see any validity in articles that rave iso 800 "if there is enough light"...if there's enough light I just WON'T use iso 800!) and the dynami range mode. I'm torn between buying an F200EXR or the new Canon XS200IS (which I'm thinking will give similar results as the G10 but with a slower lens but much bigger zoom).

fordfanjpn

BTW, how did you manage to buy this babe? I don't see it for sale anywhere...
As soon as the battery charges up, I'll start playing with it. To buy it, I just went over to Yodobashi and bought one. They're in the stores here in Japan. I expect you'll be able to find one near you pretty soon.

Bill

mazor

woo hoo, amazed that you got the camera so quick!!! Really look forward to seeing some high ISO low light shots with the low noise pixel binning activated.

Mazor

Will

I notice that the low light sample picture on the Fuji web site is taken at ISO400, would have thought they should have gone higher.
I look forward to seeing some good images (If they are as good as claimed I may have to persuade one of my children that what they really want for their birthday is a new camera!)

fordfanjpn

woo hoo, amazed that you got the camera so quick!!! Really look forward to seeing some high ISO low light shots with the low noise pixel binning activated.

Mazor
I'm still trying to figure out all the settings, but I will definitely be looking at that.

Bill

Rawfa

Ive searched on flickr and there isn't a single F200EXR photo. You'll probably be the first to post :)

fordfanjpn

Ive searched on flickr and there isn't a single F200EXR photo. You'll probably be the first to post :)
I'm still playing around (and it's about time to call it a day), so I don't really have anything too revealing. I'll post one shot of my favorite model (at ISO 100). She is all white and is sitting directly in the sun next to a window. Normally her face would go all dark or her fur would burn out completely, but the auto EXR mode seems to have found a good balance. In the next day or so I'll do some testing along with the GRD2 and the DP1 and see what I get. So far about all I can is that I think I'll be able to use 1600, especially for B&W, but I'm not sure yet. Sorry not to have more info, but I've actually been home sick for the last week and I only sneaked out today to pick up the camera. And I have to keep the boss from finding out. ;)

Bill

Last edited:

Rawfa

The dynamic range and dof look splendid. Looking forward to checking out high iso. It's too bad Fuji's solution makes you choose between resolution, high iso and dynamic range though.

fordfanjpn

The dynamic range and dof look splendid. Looking forward to checking out high iso. It's too bad Fuji's solution makes you choose between resolution, high iso and dynamic range though.
Yes, you have to pick one of the 3. I suppose I'll get used to it, but I do want to see how the files look compared to the GRD and the DP1.

Here's a quick shot at ISO 1600 with a crop. All I did was open the jpeg file in LR, save it for the web, and then save a crop. I'm not sure if I'm going to like the way the noise looks, but I really haven't shot it enough yet to be sure.

Bill

Last edited:

Rawfa

that is actually pretty amazing for 1600 iso. When you're feeling better it would be good to see 800 and 1600 iso on dim light.
Many thanks for the photos!

fordfanjpn

that is actually pretty amazing for 1600 iso. When you're feeling better it would be good to see 800 and 1600 iso on dim light.
Many thanks for the photos!
This was shot in very low light (sorry for the subject matter). It's ISO 1600 at 1/4 second, with the camera on a Gorilla Pod.

Bill

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

:) I think we might just have a new compact low light champion in our hands.
If the files convert nicely to B&W I think I'll be pretty happy with it. I still have a lot to learn about all the settings, but so far I seem to like it. I'll try to post some more shots in the next day or so. Hopefully something more interesting. :eek:

Bill

cam

i would love to see another shot of your favourite model -- similar setting, but at night on 1600.

keep them coming!

(and feel better soon)

Rawfa

Some low light night shots...once you're better (I'm recovering from a bad cold/fever where the only place I felt good was in bed, so I won't be too demanding ;-) ).

fordfanjpn

i would love to see another shot of your favourite model -- similar setting, but at night on 1600.

keep them coming!

(and feel better soon)
Thanks. Here is a shot at night, in almost no light at all. ISO 1600.

Bill

Last edited:

Rawfa

Darn, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Canon XS200IS.
The pict quality is very good for this type of conditions.

fordfanjpn

Darn, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Canon XS200IS.
The pict quality is very good for this type of conditions.
That last pic was in almost no light at all. It's very dark in that corner right now. I'd say it would be worth waiting a while before you make a decision on what camera to get. There are a lot of fun cameras out there these days. And probably more to come at PMA.

Bill