Site Sponsors

Thread: It's all your fault!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all your fault!

And don't try to deny it, you know who you are.

Thanks to certain people on this forum, I just came home with a Fuji F200EXR P&S camera. I needed a jpeg-only P&S like I needed another ... well ... another camera! And just when I'm trying to save up for the DP2.

Oh well, I guess it'll be a real pocket camera for those times when I don't even want to carry the DP1 around. In the meantime, as soon as the battery charges up, I'll fire it up and see if it can do all the magic tricks it claims to be able to do. Stay tuned.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: It's all your fault!

Bill, I am just dying to see some F200EXR samples!! You have to post some samples asap. I'm VERY interested in seeing how good it is with high iso in dim light (I really don't see any validity in articles that rave iso 800 "if there is enough light"...if there's enough light I just WON'T use iso 800!) and the dynami range mode. I'm torn between buying an F200EXR or the new Canon XS200IS (which I'm thinking will give similar results as the G10 but with a slower lens but much bigger zoom).

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, how did you manage to buy this babe? I don't see it for sale anywhere...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    BTW, how did you manage to buy this babe? I don't see it for sale anywhere...
    As soon as the battery charges up, I'll start playing with it. To buy it, I just went over to Yodobashi and bought one. They're in the stores here in Japan. I expect you'll be able to find one near you pretty soon.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

woo hoo, amazed that you got the camera so quick!!! Really look forward to seeing some high ISO low light shots with the low noise pixel binning activated.

Mazor

Post Thanks / Like

I notice that the low light sample picture on the Fuji web site is taken at ISO400, would have thought they should have gone higher.
    I look forward to seeing some good images (If they are as good as claimed I may have to persuade one of my children that what they really want for their birthday is a new camera!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    woo hoo, amazed that you got the camera so quick!!! Really look forward to seeing some high ISO low light shots with the low noise pixel binning activated.

Mazor
    I'm still trying to figure out all the settings, but I will definitely be looking at that.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Ive searched on flickr and there isn't a single F200EXR photo. You'll probably be the first to post

Post Thanks / Like

Ive searched on flickr and there isn't a single F200EXR photo. You'll probably be the first to post
    I'm still playing around (and it's about time to call it a day), so I don't really have anything too revealing. I'll post one shot of my favorite model (at ISO 100). She is all white and is sitting directly in the sun next to a window. Normally her face would go all dark or her fur would burn out completely, but the auto EXR mode seems to have found a good balance. In the next day or so I'll do some testing along with the GRD2 and the DP1 and see what I get. So far about all I can is that I think I'll be able to use 1600, especially for B&W, but I'm not sure yet. Sorry not to have more info, but I've actually been home sick for the last week and I only sneaked out today to pick up the camera. And I have to keep the boss from finding out.

Bill
    Last edited by fordfanjpn; 20th May 2009 at 18:36.

Post Thanks / Like

The dynamic range and dof look splendid. Looking forward to checking out high iso. It's too bad Fuji's solution makes you choose between resolution, high iso and dynamic range though.

Post Thanks / Like

The dynamic range and dof look splendid. Looking forward to checking out high iso. It's too bad Fuji's solution makes you choose between resolution, high iso and dynamic range though.
    Yes, you have to pick one of the 3. I suppose I'll get used to it, but I do want to see how the files look compared to the GRD and the DP1.

Here's a quick shot at ISO 1600 with a crop. All I did was open the jpeg file in LR, save it for the web, and then save a crop. I'm not sure if I'm going to like the way the noise looks, but I really haven't shot it enough yet to be sure.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

that is actually pretty amazing for 1600 iso. When you're feeling better it would be good to see 800 and 1600 iso on dim light.
    Many thanks for the photos!

Post Thanks / Like

that is actually pretty amazing for 1600 iso. When you're feeling better it would be good to see 800 and 1600 iso on dim light.
    Many thanks for the photos!
    This was shot in very low light (sorry for the subject matter). It's ISO 1600 at 1/4 second, with the camera on a Gorilla Pod.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I think we might just have a new compact low light champion in our hands.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we might just have a new compact low light champion in our hands.
    If the files convert nicely to B&W I think I'll be pretty happy with it. I still have a lot to learn about all the settings, but so far I seem to like it. I'll try to post some more shots in the next day or so. Hopefully something more interesting.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i would love to see another shot of your favourite model -- similar setting, but at night on 1600.

keep them coming!

(and feel better soon)

Post Thanks / Like

Some low light night shots...once you're better (I'm recovering from a bad cold/fever where the only place I felt good was in bed, so I won't be too demanding ;-) ).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    i would love to see another shot of your favourite model -- similar setting, but at night on 1600.

keep them coming!

(and feel better soon)
    Thanks. Here is a shot at night, in almost no light at all. ISO 1600.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Darn, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Canon XS200IS.
    The pict quality is very good for this type of conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

Darn, I'm starting to have second thoughts about the Canon XS200IS.
    The pict quality is very good for this type of conditions.
    That last pic was in almost no light at all. It's very dark in that corner right now. I'd say it would be worth waiting a while before you make a decision on what camera to get. There are a lot of fun cameras out there these days. And probably more to come at PMA.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! very tempting now!

Post Thanks / Like

I have just visited Fujis' website and it was not very clear to me if it has a shutter priority mode and/or a full manual control mode. It was only clear that is has an aperture priority mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Just downloaded the manual. It does have a full manual mode but it doesn't have a shutter mode....

Post Thanks / Like

fordfanjpn
    quick question for you.
    since you have the camera at hand, can you please let us know if the tripod mount screw area is plastic or metal.
    The plastic mount on my back then when F10 was the first thing to go on that camera....
    Thank you in advance!
    am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    fordfanjpn
    quick question for you.
    since you have the camera at hand, can you please let us know if the tripod mount screw area is plastic or metal.
    The plastic mount on my back then when F10 was the first thing to go on that camera....
    Thank you in advance!
    am
    As far as I can tell, it seems to be plastic.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna have to get one. My F60 has reminded just how good the little Fuji's can be and this one looks set to continue the tradition! Fordfnjpn, thanks for posting this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    I am gonna have to get one. My F60 has reminded just how good the little Fuji's can be and this one looks set to continue the tradition! Fordfnjpn, thanks for posting this!
    I'll try to post some real pics as soon as I can. But right now it's raining here, and tomorrow I have an appointment at the hospital for some tests. It should be a nice day tomorrow though, so I'll try to get out and get some shots with this camera.

In the meantime, I don't know if this really shows anything, but I tried some noise reduction (Dfine 2) on one of the low-light ISO 1600 shots. Here's a before and after comparison at 100% (screen capture in PS). I just let the noise reduction go crazy, but I imagine that a more subtle application could produce some nice results.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

B&W conversion

I promise this is the last time I'll post one of these boring test shots, but I did want to see how a 1600 shot looks when converted to B&W in Silver Efex Pro. I'm not sure if I like the look of the noise, but this is probably not the best image to base that on.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!
    I wish it was metal
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill -- no apologies necessary! i am amused greatly by the writing on the nasal spray that i don't understand and your tea mug is just classic!

seriously, feel better... colds suck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update!
    I wish it was metal
    am
    Sorry about that. I'll primarily use this as a pocket camera, so it probably won't spend much time on a tripod. Still, it's nice to know that that is a weak point, and I'll be sure to be careful when I do mount it on a tripod. Thanks for the tip.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    Bill -- no apologies necessary! i am amused greatly by the writing on the nasal spray that i don't understand and your tea mug is just classic!

seriously, feel better... colds suck!
    Thanks a lot. I'm afraid my cold has morphed into bronchitis, and it doesn't seem to want to go away. I've been coughing for almost a month now, and it is really wearing me out.

Glad you enjoyed the nasal spray! I seem to go through a lot of that when we get into the pollen season. The tea mug was a freebie from 7-11. We actually have a whole set of cups and plates. Free is good!

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'm afraid my cold has morphed into bronchitis, and it doesn't seem to want to go away. I've been coughing for almost a month now, and it is really wearing me out.

Glad you enjoyed the nasal spray! I seem to go through a lot of that when we get into the pollen season. The tea mug was a freebie from 7-11. We actually have a whole set of cups and plates. Free is good!

Bill
    Bill, do take care of yourself, I am just now getting over a very bad chest thing/bronchitis/pneumonia so I know how tiring it is

Post Thanks / Like

fordfanjpn
    Yes unfortunately after a handful of times mounting my F10 on a tripod, the tripod mount stripped, I have no idea why Fuji is the only company (that I know of) whom insist on making this part out of plastic.
    Non the less this looks like a very interesting little point and shoot.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    am

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, since this new camera is low light does 6MP images, it would be interesting to compare against the classic F31Fd or F31 which had maximum resolution 6mp and was the low light champion of its time for point and shoot compacts.

Mazor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Bill, do take care of yourself, I am just now getting over a very bad chest thing/bronchitis/pneumonia so I know how tiring it is
    Thanks Lili, I appreciate the sentiment, and I hope you are feeling better now. Hopefully it's true when they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

fordfanjpn
    Yes unfortunately after a handful of times mounting my F10 on a tripod, the tripod mount stripped, I have no idea why Fuji is the only company (that I know of) whom insist on making this part out of plastic.
    Non the less this looks like a very interesting little point and shoot.
    I hope you feel better soon.
    am
    Sorry to hear that. Now I'll definitely take care when mounting the camera on a tripod. Thanks.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Hey, since this new camera is low light does 6MP images, it would be interesting to compare against the classic F31Fd or F31 which had maximum resolution 6mp and was the low light champion of its time for point and shoot compacts.

Mazor
    This is my first and only Fuji, but I have a friend who has 3 or 4 "vintage" Fuji P&S cameras, so I'll check and see what he has. If he has an F31, I'll see if I can borrow it for a comparison.

Bill

nei1

Post Thanks / Like

Not bad at all. Those iso 1600 look very printable, and the iso 800 looks like what most compacts look like at iso 200. Very cool. This camera is very quickly gaining points in my book. With it being available in Japan we can expect to start seeing more photos around flickr.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a couple of new photos on flickr but they are very inconclusive. Not enough to make up ones mind. IQ wise I'd like to know if it can match the DP1...my favorite compact ever IQ wise...I've said it many times, but it has a sort of intangible in your face organic quality to it...plus you can just pound on it on post.

Post Thanks / Like

So, how are you liking the camera so far? I feel you are not too excited...as a matter of fact I think you didn't like the camera at all. But since we've been through so much on this thread and I can now call us intimate friends I will be a pall and take the camera off your hands for you on these difficult times. NO, no need to thank me. It's what a friend would do hehehe ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

So, how are you liking the camera so far? I feel you are not too excited...as a matter of fact I think you didn't like the camera at all. But since we've been through so much on this thread and I can now call us intimate friends I will be a pall and take the camera off your hands for you on these difficult times. NO, no need to thank me. It's what a friend would do hehehe ;-)
    Wow, that's very kind of you! I'll get the camera in the mail right away!

Bill