The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Ricoh with CMOS

Rawfa

Ricoh has just anounced a new compact with a 1/2,3 9mb CMOS. It's supposed to have amazing dynamic range. Ricoh CX1. They are stating they have employed a new technology that allows to combine different exposed photos resulting on a 12 EV photo (" dynamic range double shot mode"). Sadly there's no manual controls or raw...it doesn't say anything about A and P modes.

It woudl be pretty cool to see a GX300 with a CMOS sensor!

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/press/release/nr_cx1.html

Great, now I have to choose between the Fuji F200EXR, the Canon SX200IS AND the Ricoh.

fordfanjpn

Ricoh has just anounced a new compact with a 1/2,3 9mb CMOS. It's supposed to have amazing dynamic range. Ricoh CX1. They are stating they have employed a new technology that allows to combine different exposed photos resulting on a 12 EV photo (" dynamic range double shot mode"). Sadly there's no manual controls or raw...it doesn't say anything about A and P modes.

It woudl be pretty cool to see a GX300 with a CMOS sensor!

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/press/release/nr_cx1.html

Great, now I have to choose between the Fuji F200EXR, the Canon SX200IS AND the Ricoh.
We're spoiled for choices. The obvious solution is to get one of each. ;)

Bill

V

VladimirV

The Ricoh does look promissing but after the excellent R10 that I reviewed a while back I expected a bit more and thought Ricoh would finally put some manual modes or RAW in there. Not to mention either drop or considerably improve the video mode, considering the competition all offer HD video.

I wrote a bit more here: http://ricohgrdiary.wordpress.com/2009/02/19/ricoh-cx1-announced/

Michael S

"Dynamic range double shot" is available at the coffee house in town, I think. Ricoh must have taken it from the menu there.

Sometimes the new announcements -- from all manufacturers, not just Ricoh -- create expectations that the gear simply does not fulfill.

On another forum, one poster was certain that the new Fuji Rafa mentioned was certain to become the camera of the year.

I'll be interested to see how the new compacts perform in actual shooting environments, in the hands of photographers.

O

Oxide Blu

"Dynamic range double shot" is available at the coffee house in town, I think. Ricoh must have taken it from the menu there.
:ROTFL:

It's ironic, when I learned what HDR imaging was, how software was used to combine multiple images of the same subject exposed differently, my first thought was "why isn't this being done in the camera? -- it's just a matter of time." And here it is. Ricoh is doing it with two images, give it time, we'll see it being done with 3, 4, ... , images.

Oh, and I will need one of these cameras. :)

fordfanjpn

:ROTFL:

It's ironic, when I learned what HDR imaging was, how software was used to combine multiple images of the same subject exposed differently, my first thought was "why isn't this being done in the camera? -- it's just a matter of time." And here it is. Ricoh is doing it with two images, give it time, we'll see it being done with 3, 4, ... , images.

Oh, and I will need one of these cameras. :)
That seems to be what Fuji is doing with the F200EXR, only they use two separate sets of 6 million pixels to get the two images, and then combine them for greater dynamic range. At least that's the theory.

Bill

Tim

Just to confuse the issue more, IF you are wanting some video in a compact camera (notice the big IF) You may as well check out this newbie - Panasonic TZ7 http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs3_tz7/index.html

It uses AVCHD lite for its codec so you get 720p resolution. Advantages with AVCHD are smaller files, hence longer record times than mjpeg and you get dolby digital. AVCHD needs a good fast computer for editing though. :rolleyes:

The other neat thing with this camera is you can zoom during recording video which not many others can do.
Other compacts can zoom during filming but you lose focus! :eek:

Here is their page on video http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/zs3_tz7/ia_movie.html#avhcdlite

Rawfa

Thanks, Tim. I had looked into the Pana before, but having owned an FX33, a TZ4 and a LX3 and always found Panasonic to have too much image processing going on. I want to try something different (although the pana's 25-300mm looks very tempting).

mazor

Thanks, Tim. I had looked into the Pana before, but having owned an FX33, a TZ4 and a LX3 and always found Panasonic to have too much image processing going on. I want to try something different (although the pana's 25-300mm looks very tempting).
Hehe, that is why I use RAW only for my LX3, that way I can apply the processing.

MAzor

Rawfa

I have just found out the price for the new Ricoh. It's $430US! I think things are getting a bit out of hand here. I mean 430$ sounds a bit outrageous for a camera that has absolutely no manual controls, doesn't have raw, and it doesn't shoot hd movies. It's really ridiculous for Ricoh to think that this camera with nothing to offer other than a CMOS sensor and alleged hrd capacity can compete with the likes of the LX3 and the G10 (currently selling for 400$ on amazon). At the very least they should have done what Canon did with the SX200IS and what Pana did with the TZ7 give it full manual controls and "zoomable" HD movies.

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3905&review=ricoh+cx1

Last edited:
V

VladimirV

I would wait with the exact price for now, things might change but due to the strong yen it could well be that most new cameras will cost more. it it really is 430US$ then it is too expensive. I would have thought it's priced similar to the R10 and I expect it to be closer to the R10 when it's released.

O

Oxide Blu

I have just found out the price for the new Ricoh. It's $430US! I think things are getting a bit out of hand here. I mean 430$ sounds a bit outrageous for a camera that has absolutely no manual controls, doesn't have raw, and it doesn't shoot hd movies. ....
I agree. I'm only paying $400+ for a Ricoh camera if Ricoh lists it on their website as a "professional" camera, like the GRDII or GX200 are "professional" cameras.

J

JCdeR

Please pardon my ignorance but what exactly is CMOS? I have obviously heard the term before but never quite got into the technicalities... I know it is a sensor, or has something to do with it, but why is it special?

Rawfa

Even though it has other applications, CMOS technology is more or less a "new" to video and even more so to photography. One of the main benefits from a CMOS sensor "could/should" speed, dynamic range and the ability to gather more light. Coming from the video world I can say that CMOS has struck REALLY BIG among videocameras (consumer AND professional). I really hope to see this technology evolving in the same way in photography.