Site Sponsors

Thread: Sigma DP2 at PMA?

Post Thanks / Like

Sigma DP2 at PMA?

At Photokina Sigma said they would have the DP2 ready at PMA. Just a couple of days, now. I wonder how much it will go for. I'm thinking it will probably be around 800$. Though I would preffer if Oly would finally stop teasing us and released their m 4/3 rangefinder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma DP2 at PMA?

still preproduction, i think.... look here and follow the links for news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saw it yesterday - didn't bother to play with it though, the world has moved on imho, the Panasonic G1 is already here, the G1HD will be even better, the Olympus m4/3rd offering will be even better... meanwhile, we have a DP1 with a 40mm lens :sleep006:

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brian,

There is no 40mm for the G1 yet and the G1 is a lot bigger, so DP2 could still be of interest. I'm also waiting to see what Olympus will do.

-Thomas

Post Thanks / Like

2 different leagues. The G1 is far from being a compact.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My DP2 is already paid for....I just ain't got it yet.......
    but I will soon......

Post Thanks / Like

Really?! I didn't know the price was out yet. Would you mind sharing how much is the Dp2 going for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

much longer and more substantial thread up now.... the best news is that our very own VladimirV will be checking it out this week.

VladimirV

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    .... the best news is that our very own VladimirV will be checking it out this week.
    Thanks Cam, not sure the guys in the DP Review forum are so happy about that after my views of the DP1 generated some heated discussions last year .

I will be at Focus tomorrow and will try to get a hands-on with the DP2 and post my impressions about it and the show on my blog and here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL, Cristian, i am of the mind that i should *always* listen to you! we seem to have the same sensibilities...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Really?! I didn't know the price was out yet. Would you mind sharing how much is the Dp2 going for?
    Rafa...

I left a $500.00 deposit on it back in early December....As soon as it arrives it's mine. Here in Philly, there's 1 guy that will have the camera and it will sell out in no time...thus the deposit....

I know I'll pay more than most for it but I want it that bad. The DP1 has destroyed any thoughts about any other camera for me...bar none.

I think with the 1 & 2 I'm ready....I'm ready man and it ain't a pretty site....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Rafa...

I left a $500.00 deposit on it back in early December....As soon as it arrives it's mine. Here in Philly, there's 1 guy that will have the camera and it will sell out in no time...thus the deposit....

I know I'll pay more than most for it but I want it that bad. The DP1 has destroyed any thoughts about any other camera for me...bar none.

I think with the 1 & 2 I'm ready....I'm ready man and it ain't a pretty site....
    I totally read you on the DP1 setting the bar. IMO I think it even beats some DSLR (not at high iso though). But I really wish they would do a revision on the DP1 because I love 28mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rafa,

The thing is with the DP1 is that the images print soooooo silver like.
    The camera is very compact, compared to my Leica's.....it's just an amazing camera and I wish I could see the problems others have with it but I am a hopeless romantic and I am in love with this camera....

The DP2 will just be another focal length for me......with both...it's a sweet pair.....
    Don

VladimirV

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    LOL, Cristian, i am of the mind that i should *always* listen to you! we seem to have the same sensibilities...
    Thanks Cam!

I have been to Focus yesterday and have handled the DP1 and while I still think the build feels plasticky and a bit too boxy, I also feel the DP2 is what the DP1 should have been a year ago. It does not feel like an unfinished product anymore (although the firmware was unfinished), the new QS menu is a huge improvement and although it can't be configured like the Adj. menu in Ricoh cameras it has the main features there. The screen is still washed out and has a green cast but it now has a faster refresh rate and there is no ghosting anymore when panning around.
    I am writing the full report and will post in on my blog later on.

A quick word to the Canon SX200 IS, who at Canon thought that having the flash popped up all the time when the camera is on was a good idea?!? This is just stupid. If you consider the camera also get some tape for the flash .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vlad,
    Looking forward to you thoughts on the DP2.
    I don't pay much attention to the stuff DPreview puts
    out. They never seem objective.
    Don

VladimirV

My full report is now online and can be found here: http://ricohgrdiary.wordpress.com/20...-imaging-2009/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, sweets! excellent write up.

i'm afraid for me, it's probably too little, too late. if i hadn't gotten stung (and stuck) with the DP1, i' think i'd feel differently... oh well, never say never (though i have been banned from buying it on the home front -- he doesn't get my utter infatuation with the Foveon sensor).

wbrandsma

If I had the money available I would ease of your pain with your DP1 Cam

And thank you Cristi for your write up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you'd make it sing, Wouter! as you do all you use....

seriously, the sensor is to die for. i just had no patience for the interface, etc., and the f/4 ISO 800 limit left me with an unusable camera for what i do most of the time.

i keep on dreaming of two frankenstein cameras:
    1) GRDII with the Foveon sensor and the focusing capabilities and body of the GRD
    2) an R-D1 with the Foveon sensor and a Hexar AF shutter noise

Post Thanks / Like

Cam,

For the benefit of those new to the DP1 who may be following thread, I'll point out that ISOs above 800 are quite doable by underexposing (-EV) for either 1600 or 3200 and then PP the files to bring out the exposure to what you intend. This may or may not work for you given your comfort zone with the interface.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cam,

I would very much like your first frankenstein camera. Do you have a release date please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you for pointing that out, Simon. i have always said, and always will, that i am in complete awe of the images this camera is capable of. i prefer them to the 4/3 format (including, obviously, micro 4/3) and even many DSLR's. to me, it's that good!

for a lot of people, especially those partial to a 28mm and shooting outdoors, what the DP1 is capable of is perfectly adequate if you have the patience. the RAW files are extremely flexible and you can bring out amazing shadow detail from seeming utter darkness in SPP. the only hit you take, really, is less saturated colours -- which doesn't bother me as i think the b/w is beautiful and the noise/grain quite pleasing.

(when you consider the fact that i am doing a lot of work at 1600 with an f/1.4 lens, you can see why i was so frustrated with the above. it's only now that i have an f/1 that i can bring it back down to 400/800.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ecliffordsmith View Post
    Hi Cam,

I would very much like your first frankenstein camera. Do you have a release date please?
    LOL, Ed! i wish!

i almost spit out my coffee on the keyboard this morning when i read an e about them releasing a new R-D1. if it was from anyone but Wouter, i would have said it was bullsh*t.... alas, after reading up on it, they didn't incorporate my ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else noticed that the DP1 screen seems to work better when viewed in portrait rather than landscape? I've also discovered that it shows a more accurate representation of captured image exposure when held above eye line or used upside down so it is also viewed with the eye to screen angle you would have holding it above eye line. ! Well my DP1 does anyway. maybe it was from a batch intended for Australia?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would simply settle for a foevon sensor in a Hexar AF body.
    With either an OVF or a very high quality EVF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will, I have noticed that the screen is brighter when not viewed straight on...I don't use it except to change settings but at a 45* angle..it's very clear...I think they had to much Vodka when the put the screen on the camera....

Post Thanks / Like

Will, I have noticed that the screen is brighter when not viewed straight on...I don't use it except to change settings but at a 45* angle..it's very clear...I think they had to much Vodka when the put the screen on the camera....
    lol They designed it so that it is worst when at the most commonly used angle of view!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will...I discovered this by drinking ice cold Danzka....after 4 shots...

the LCD screen on the 45...is great.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will...I discovered this by drinking ice cold Danzka....after 4 shots...

the LCD screen on the 45...is great.....
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

hehe