The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Decisive Moments for the Small Sensor

jonoslack

What's the lag time on the GX100 in snap mode?
Ahh! The crucial question - I'd like to know the answer to that as well, the d-lux 3 seems to be 0.3 seconds, which isn't horrid (but it isn't great either).

Sean . . . . we wait with baited breath . . . . . . .
:sleep006:
:)

S

Sean_Reid

What's the lag time on the GX100 in snap mode?
I never timed it because the camera was responsive enough in MF mode that the question never arose. I only worry about timing a camera when a process involves a lag. Whatever the actual number is for the GX100, its very short.

Cheers,

Sean

A

asabet

In snap mode, I still found a short but significant shutter lag with the GX100. The shutter lag is essentially nil in snap mode if one has already done a half press, and I always assumed it was due to metering since focusing is predetermined in that mode. Sean, perhaps you're not experiencing a significant lag because you are setting exposure manually? I tended to set exposure on the fly with a half press when I think the moment is coming. That way I too could work without a lag but also without manually setting the exposure.

H

helgipelgi

Doing some quick tests on my LX2 the auto WB and metering don't seem to add that much to the lag.

I think the effect of looking at the LCD while shooting, as well as the absence of mechanical action, gives the illusion of more lag than there actually is.

You can test this by turning on the fake shutter sound, and then take a picture in MF mode without looking at the screen -- voila, instant response ;)

Maggie O

Never rely on the fake shutter sound. It's always a half-second behind the real shutter. Turning it off was one of the first things I did when I got my DL3.

H

helgipelgi

Yeah, it's always the first thing I turn off.

But just to test my theory, I found that it seemed snappier with the shutter sound. The combination of the LCD and silent shutter makes it seem slower