The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAW Software (Ricoh GX100, GRD*)

G

gregg

OK, I'm sort of a newbie at RAW conversion. I have a Nikon D200 and have used RawShooter with great success.

Unfortunately RawShooter is discontinued and, to my knowledge, doesn't support the DNG files from my GX100.

I also have Adobe Photoshop CS - it has a DNG conversion tool (2.4) that is OK but the workflow really stinks. For my needs I haven't bothered to upgrade to CS2 or CS3.

I manage my files with Picassa - really a decent tool for the volume I shoot. My assignments are often date driven and I like the ability to create albums while editing down hundreds/thousands of images.

So - I'm obviously working with some old(er) software in RawShooter and Photoshop CS.

Ideally I would like to upgrade to ONE TOOL that allows me to manage, convert and edit all my file formats (JPG, DNG, NEF). I don't do too much crazy stuff with Photoshop but it would be nice if this dream tool could also:

- Utilize my film and flatbed scanner for input
- do perspective control
- correct for lens distortion
- layers (curves, levels, color balance, channel mixer, photo filter, etc...)
- have nice B&W conversion options
- print (printing in "packages" especially nice)

I'd like to not spend a ton more money - maybe less than $150 if possible (dreaming!)

I think Photoshop Lightroom will do all the above, but it is twice what I'd like to spend. An upgrade to Photoshop CS3 may fit the bill too. I have the Silkypix "free" software - it is crippled so badly though I'm not sure what the "full version" would do.

Any other suggestions?

(BTW: if this has already been discussed ad naseum elsewhere on this forum or the net please point me to it... I've done a lot of net searching and there is very little in the way of useful comparisons for the practical things I'm looking at. If you want to see microscopic spectral analysis of converted grain patterns, it is all out there! But if you just want a great competent tool you'll come up short...)

Thanks!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Lightroom seems the obvious choice to me, although you've said it's beyond your budget. (I believe the upgrade to PS CS3 will cost more but doesn't offer the tremendous cataloging and backup features of lightroom.) The editing features of lightroom do not include layers, but there are some very good tools in it that will bring you to a point where you can export to Photoshop and continue editing with layers as necessary. Download the demo and give it a go.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: RAW Software (Ricoh GX100, GRD*) -- COneV4?

COne V4 will read in GR-D files, since it reads "generic" dng format, but what profile works for color? The generic one and the Leica D-3 profile each take quite a bit of work to get to colors that feel right.

Anyone succeeding with COne?

scott

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Scott,

I'm using C1 4.0 now as my primary program for the GR2 but I use the JFI profiles.

Cheers,

Sean

sizifo

Hello,

As my first post on this forum, I thought I'd upload an image that was processed with Aperture, which I'm using mostly out of convenience, to have everything in one place and save disk space. The image was captured raw on a GRD II, and the default settings resulted in the first attached image. After various tweaks I obtained the second image.

I'd love to see what other people, and their raw converters, can do with the image, and welcome any comments on what's wrong with my image (I'm quite new to PP). The original DNG can be found at http://idisk.mac.com/vid33-Public?view=web.

Vid

Last edited:
G

gregg

I'm on a PC so Aperture is not an option.

I did try a few common things in the trial versions of "Capture One 4", SilkyPix, RawTherapee (free), and LightRoom.

For my needs, and as a 90% solution for most digital organizing and editing, LightRoom has the advantage. The controls and output are especially good. It even integrates output into my old Photoshop CS for when I need to do more advanced editing.

I like the Library and the web output works well too - those were especially lacking in the other programs. (OK, although "Capture One 4" doesn't have these C1 may but I'm REALLY not willing to pay $500 for it...)

ShiroKuro

Thanks sizifo for uploading your dng file ..just what I was looking for .. gives me chance to try out silkypix ..... Just ordered my GRD2 from PopFlash, should be here in a few days : )

G

gregg

I downloaded the trial of LightZone too. Sheesh, my cable modem is getting a workout!

I'm on a fairly beefy XP Pro PC with 3gb of RAM and LiteZone seems REALLY SLOW for some things. Zooming to 100% takes about 8 seconds on a DNG file. That operation is instant in C1-4 and LightRoom. Other than that I really like the output and options.

I like Picasa's organizer - even better than LightRoom - call me crazy but it works for me.

I'm leaning towards the following workflow:
Picasa -> LightRoom/LightZone -> (if needed) Photoshop CS

I'll give LightRoom's organizer a little more time. I love the web output - so useful for posting client previews.

Thanks everyone - keep sending me advice and I'll play with things as I have time.

Maggie O

LightZone is written in platform-agnostic JAVA, so if you don't allocate a bunch of memory to it in its preferences, it will be slow.

G

gregg

Thanks Maggie O - what setting are you using?

I've set it to 1gb and it seems a bit faster.

Maggie O

I pushed mine up to 1.5GB.

BTW, a new and much snappier version of LightZone was released today! MAJOR improvement on rendering speed and tool response.

G

gregg

I've boosted my LightZone memory allocation to the maximum allowed (1.5gb) and it does seem to make a difference. Also, I am testing with the latest version: 3.4

The field is thinning a bit as I make my selections:

- Silkypix is slow(ish) and doesn't make it easy to save for web. I like its development module but that is about it. Its sharpening tool doesn't do much for me and there is no organizer or spotting tool. It is off my testing list.

- C1-4 keeps crashing. When it does develop, the auto (color/exposure/etc) features work really well. It doesn't have much in the way of web output. Unless I find more redeeming qualities, it is off my list.

- LightZone is great for processing. I like the sharpening/noise controls a lot, it has a spot tool, saves for web OK. I'm not sure I'd use the "full" version additions all that much. The organizer leaves a lot to be desired and I'd probably keep using Picasa and set .dng and .nef to auto-open LightZone for processing.
** The most awesome feature of LightZone is the "RAW Tone Curve" tool. I can't say enough how excellent this is for micro-exposure/contrast control.
** Is anyone using the "lift" feature with success? Is that similar to "Presets" in LightRoom.

- LightRoom does pretty much about everything. Including building web galleries. I'm guessing once I figure out LR's "Tone Curve" tool a little more it will be on par with LightZone's - though LZ's is really intuitive.

My workflow with each tool would probably end up looking something like this:

LightZone
Organize - Picasa
Develop - LightZone
Export for Web - LightZone
Web Gallery - jAlbum

LightRoom
It could do everything I guess...

G

gregg

I saw on another thread that Mitch is using LightRoom for organizing and general editing and then LightZone for developing. I'm not all that interested in investing in two tools.

Mitch, if you are reading, why don't you use LightRoom to process RAW files?

W

wbrandsma

Lightroom greatest limitations are regional adjustments. You can not apply adjustments on specifically selected regions like you can in Photoshop and Lightzone. You simply can not dodge and burn in Lightroom.
Besides that I also have the feeling that a little bit of noise reduction is already applied on my raw images (GX100). I also do not feel sharpening works as good as I want to. I do like clarity though.
The workflow is great in Lightroom and use the developmodule for color images. I feel Lightzone is the better darkroom for B&W images. Especially when you want to dodge and burn your images.

ShiroKuro

wbrandsma have you checked out the "Target Adjustment Tool"feature in Lightroom ?
Available in the Tone Curve and the HSL , Color , Grayscale panels of the Develop module.

Click on the little circular toggle in the upper left hand corner of the window to activate this tool ....... it allows you to specifically target parts of your photo ...... very cool feature .....

W

wbrandsma

I know that tool, but it will specifically target parts of your photo with for instance the same color. It is still applied on the entire photo and not on a specifically selected part like you can do with masking in Photoshop or the regional selection tool in Lightzone.
But is a very cool feature. You are right!

7ian7

ACR + CS3 all the way.

I second Wouter's comments. PhotoShop is better than ever, and from my limited experimentation, still the way to go over Lightzone, if for no other reason than it's an industry standard, and that translates in to all kinds of convenience for post-processing jobs with labs or other retouchers or printers, etc. They are putting a ton of effort in to pushing it forward, and I think it is pretty fantastic.

I've been using iView Media Pro to catalogue work for years (another industry standard), but recently a friend forced me to reconsider Bridge. I have to admit it's come a long way, and beyond organizational tools, it can access serious features from all of the CS3 applications from within in ways I hadn't been aware, such as doing RAW conversions, and saving those conversions without opening the image. Tons of other stuff too.

If Sean is using C1, I'm sure it is great, but PhotoShop is better than ever.

Maggie O

I can't really recommend ACR. Something about the way it renders colors just leaves me flat. C1's colors and NR are just soooo much better and Lightzone's handling of noise is more film-like.

Photoshop is Photoshop and there is no substitute for it in lots of applications, especially when it comes to composite images or images that need multiple layers. But, if you don't need all that horsepower, LZ is a good choice, especially if you do a lot of B&W work.

I'll second 7ian7's comments about Bridge, which I've just started to mess with- it really is surprisingly versatile and powerful. If I wasn't invested in iPhoto, I'd seriously consider switching to a Finder/Bridge organizing workflow.