The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are we too worried about our gear?

rayyan

About exposure? About pixels?
How about sharpness? Corners?

Are we really too worried about secondary things?

Photo and editing by Ayesha.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Don't know where I heard this, but it bears repeating.

One is Light.
Two is Composition.
Three is Everything Else.

--Matt

Godfrey

probably yes. things have been very technocentric in the past decade or so as photography has climbed through the digital transition.

i've been too busy to do much actual photography in recent weeks. a snap here and there, a little bit now and then. at points in the past like this, i'd spend more time on the forums studying gear and debating its merits.

but i find that didn't happen this time. the gear i have now is very satisfying and works as well as i need. there's always some doo-dad that might be neat but i feel little to no pressure that i must have it. instead, i found myself thinking more of the things i want to photograph, the projects i want to take on, when my time lightens up and i can direct my attention there. i found myself looking more at others' work and letting my imagination soak it up.

so another transition outside of the gear thing is going on, for me anyway. it'll be interesting to see what happens as the year continues.

g

rayyan

Thorkil, Matt, Godfrey..thanks..:salute:

I try to resist buying new gear. But have been a miserable failure at that. Any cam would honestly do. And make it so easy. But this is addictive :face smack:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Beautiful photos!

I am in no way equipment limited - everything I need to improve is in myself. So, of course, I argue that new equipment will motivate me to go out and shoot more and thus improve :D

:facesmack:,

Matt

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Beautiful photos!

I am in no way equipment limited - everything I need to improve is in myself. So, of course, I argue that new equipment will motivate me to go out and shoot more and thus improve :D

:facesmack:,

Matt
I couldn't agree more, both on the photos and the knowledge that I'm also in no way equipment limited, nor have I been for many many years if I'm honest with myself.

With respect to worrying about our gear, I do see folks who are afraid to use their cameras as tools as opposed to precious jewels to be stroked and cherished.

rayyan

Thorkil, Matt, Graham..thanks for your comments and ' likes '.

The biggest mistake I made, realized after more than many years of camera usage, is me wanting to be like some favorite photographer/s I admired.
Marketing had worked like a charm on me.
Holding a certain make of camera, I pretended that I was someone else..that I could become like someone else.

All that is a mirage. Cameras are collecting dust in my storage cupboards. And so are most of my prints.

Then I realized the secret to be free to go my way in photography. Simple, really. Don't force myself to take a ' certain ' kind of photo. Just take what I like to make an image of. The way I ' see ' it, want others to ' see ' it.

Make life easy, what I had was the best I had. Let's see what I could do with it. Not someone else. But me.

The lead 4 wheeler on your extreme right is still far away from the mountain's edge.

All the ground underneath our vehicles is volcanic ash.

Thorkil

Thorkil, Matt, Graham..thanks for your comments and ' likes '.

The biggest mistake I made, realized after more than many years of camera usage, is me wanting to be like some favorite photographer/s I admired.
Marketing had worked like a charm on me.
Holding a certain make of camera, I pretended that I was someone else..that I could become like someone else.

All that is a mirage. Cameras are collecting dust in my storage cupboards. And so are most of my prints.

Then I realized the secret to be free to go my way in photography. Simple, really. Don't force myself to take a ' certain ' kind of photo. Just take what I like to make an image of. The way I ' see ' it, want others to ' see ' it.

Make life easy, what I had was the best I had. Let's see what I could do with it. Not someone else. But me.

The lead 4 wheeler on your extreme right is still far away from the mountain's edge.

All the ground underneath our vehicles is volcanic ash.
That is the point, Rayyan!
We tend to think that some certain camera, some certain lens, will save our souls, lift our creativity up to a certain imaginated level (forgot to tell: beautifull picture up there by the way!!). But sometimes perhaps it will do the opposite, the gear longing, create some inner resticting expectations, that sometimes, might instead of setting us free, just make another uncomforting restriction/unrealistic expectation on our road. By the way, freedom often come by age. By age certain things, certain walking-in-circles, we tend to no longer care that much about any more....we are more ready to set ourselves free....perhaps just doing what we find amusing, interesting, just in all the smal ways, perhaps with that little smile in our backmind, doing perhaps what ought to be silly thing....but what the heck...its just like...never mind, its just while the others are looking in other directions anyway...I might just do what suits me....even if its just in that silly simple way...(perhaps..thats life...who knows?)
thorkil
(I wont ask, what camera.. :) )

V

Vivek

All my camera gear is up for sale! Take a look at the FS section! I want to feel liberated. Take the burden off of my hands please!

Dank U! :salute:

rayyan

Thorkil, Dave, darr, bipbip, pegelli..thank you all kindly :salute:

Thorkil, the experience gained as one ages cannot be bought, unfortunately.
Unlike camera gear, one has to learn at one's own pace.

Sony RX 100 Mark I.

Warmest regards.

4season

Although only tangentially related to the topic, I like this talk by Alan Watts ("What if money was no object?") which someone has nicely combined with imagery and music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khOaAHK7efc

New toys are fun! But my actual needs could be met fairly cheaply: I'd have to be a pretty bad photographer to not be able to get great results from say, a $400 Canon SLR w/kit zoom lens.

When contemplating the purchase of some new equipment, I've begun to recognize some familiar thought-patterns, like how sensible I'm being, or at least how reasonable the cost is compared to the value I'll get out of it. But then I remember how I've had those very same thoughts many times before, and I feel those urges weaken. And sometimes a well-chosen cheapie can provide about the same level of enjoyment as something costing a lot more: If I get bored with my $40 Zenits, I suppose I can afford to simply give them away to charity (at the price, I probably will get my money's worth out of them!)

rayyan

With talk about the new Fuji, the mp, the sensor, the comparisons...they are all valid if the new equipment/lens etc. fills a gap in what one currently owns.

If one ' wants ' a piece of new equipment...that is a personal decision, wonderfully
Encouraged by the marketing dept.

If conveying a message via an image is the primary purpose ( without a specific client or personal requirement ), I honestly believe most existing cams could do the job.

Even an iPhone...

Else there is no end to imaging equipment. You name the purpose, there is one, at a cost.

Or even for capturing my cardiac surgery...

This heart of mine

Last edited:

Lloyd

With talk about the new Fuji, the mp, the sensor, the comparisons...they are all valid if the new equipment/lens etc. fills a gap in what one currently owns.

If one ' wants ' a piece of new equipment...that is a personal decision, wonderfully
Encouraged by the marketing dept.

If conveying a message via an image is the primary purpose ( without a specific client or personal requirement ), I honestly believe most existing cams could do the job.

Even an iPhone...

Else there is no end to imaging equipment. You name the purpose, there is one, at a cost.

Or even for capturing my cardiac surgery...

This heart of mine
If conveying a message is the purpose, you have succeeded, in spades! Just looking at these images conjures all sorts of emotions for me! And all the more so, once I realized what it was I was seeing. Well said, and portrayed all around. A very apropos thread. Thank you.

Leigh

As has been convincingly demonstrated on numerous occasions...

A GOOD photographer can make good images using any camera.

A BAD photographer cannot make good images using any camera.

- Leigh

f6cvalkyrie

Is there any photographer in the world that can say himself "equipment-limited" in photography nowadays ??? Tell me who !!!

Enjoy your day (off, if you also have a day off today, it's 11/11 and we have a holiday to remember the end of WW1 here in Belgium)
Rafael

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The whole pixel thing has become a joke. I'm mostly using a GM5 now (which features better image quality than anything that could be bought for sensible monies 10 years ago) and my Blackberry. They are with me all the time, and I rarely (rarely, not never) feel the need for anything more. Look at photo books from the time before digital. Is there anything missing? I don't think so.

Blackberry Passport while trying to find some street breakfast waiting for a customer in Bangkok 8 A.M.

Last edited:

rayyan

I forgot about this thread. Thanks Jorgen.

Thank you guys for your likes :salute:

As it happens, one of my sons was in Paris 3 days ago. He forgot his Fuji charger and batteries.

iPhone it was..till he bought one in Amsterdam.

Taking the Thalys train to Amsterdam in Paris..

And a few hours ( about 3 hrs ) later, from Amsterdam...

rayyan

I hope I am forgiven for posting this here. However, just to show what can be done with what one has.

This video was made from images using the Fuji XPRO-1 and the Fuji 18, 35/1.4 and the 60/2.4 exclusively.

Wonderful imagery.

Fuji[URL]