The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Grd II - info on screen ?

E

ellemand

Hi you all.

I got my Ricoh GRD II yesterday - and so far very happy with the test-shoots (just playing around right now - nothing to show yet;-)

I wonder about one thing. I turn of the screen (when using the OVF) - turn on the info-function, and the info shows when touching the adjustwheel.

BUT wenn in aperture-mode (A) all infos shows - except the shuttertime? That what's important to see, when using aperture-mode, right?

In program-mode (P) the info shows both the aperture and the shuttertime.

Is it just me doing something wrong - or ??

Thank in advance.
Ellemand.

S

Sean_Reid

Half-press the shutter release and the camera will choose, and display, a shutter speed.

E

ellemand

I'm sorry - but no.
I half-press the shutter. AF indicates OK. I turn the adjustwheel. The info shows on the black screen - all except the shuttertime. When I half-press the shutter release, the screen goes totally black again.
Something wrong with the camera?

Ellemand.

E

ellemand

I've just discovered, that it is exactly the same with my GRD I - which have the new upgrade - no shuttertime showed when the camera is in aperture-mode and using the black screen with infodisplay set to "on".
Strange, isn't it?

Ellemand.

V

veriwide

With the GR1 the shutter speed only shows when in Manual mode. It may be the same with the 2.

E

ellemand

Thanks Veriwide.

Would you try the same with the camera set to "P". Both mine GRD's shows aperture AND shuttertime when using P in the black screen-mode. I couldn't understand why it doesn't show the shuttertime when using aperture-mode. It's a little strange, isn't it?

Ellemand.

V

veriwide

In "P" mode I get nothing at all. And yes I find it strange that there is no shutter speed in aperture mode, but as I have only had the camera for a short while and bought it used, I just figured that is the way it is :confused:

S

Sean_Reid

I'm sorry - but no.
I half-press the shutter. AF indicates OK. I turn the adjustwheel. The info shows on the black screen - all except the shuttertime. When I half-press the shutter release, the screen goes totally black again.
Something wrong with the camera?

Ellemand.
Before you insist on "no", give the process a bit more thought.

Step 1: The screen must be set to stay on if one wants to see the exposure the camera has chosen. Otherwise, of course, the screen will switch off when one half-presses the shutter release (that's what it is supposed to do). If the screen is off, it is true that one can't see the shutter speed or a whole bunch of other information.

Step 2: With the display set to stay on, half-press the shutter release (in aperture priority mode). The shutter speed will display on the LCD.

There's nothing wrong with the camera.

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

To explain further:

The GR2 is a shooting-priority camera. So when one presses or half-presses the shutter release, the Ricoh puts itself in "shooting mode". The assumption behind the LCD screen settings is that one may be doing any of the following:

1) Using the LCD to frame
2) Framing with an optical finder and leaving the LCD on as well
3) Framing with an optical finder and turning off the LCD so that it does not pose a distraction, etc.

The camera, reasonably, assumes that if it is set to position "3", the LCD should only be on when a photographer is not either releasing the shutter or about to release the shutter. So he or she may be changing settings, reviewing a histogram, etc. But, in position "3", once the photographer half-presses the shutter release, the camera assumes its shooting time and essentially calls "all quiet on the set" or, in other words, "turn off the LCD so this photographer can concentrate on the optical finder".

The camera doesn't meter until the shutter is half-pressed so, until then, it doesn't what shutter speed its going to choose. Not knowing that, it certainly can't tell the photographer.

So we have a coincidence of events brought about, in AE mode, when the shutter release is pressed or half-pressed with the screen set to be off during shooting.

1) The camera immediately shuts off the LCD.
2) The camera picks a shutter speed but has no way to show the photographer what that speed is.

Does that help?

E

ellemand

Thanks to veriwide and Sean for the answers.

You're very helpful and I fully understand the way it goes, BUT:
when using GRD II in P-mode with the screen off, I can point the camera at a subject, halfpress the shutter release, turn the adjustwheel and the aperture and shuttertime shows in the display - in that way I got a quick "reading" of the light - and can adjust when needed.

I cann't do that in the A-mode and that's what I don't understand. It would be nice if one could get a quick show of the shuttertime in A-mode in order to adjust the aperture, when ex. the light changes.

I hope I've made my point clear - I'm not that good writing in english.

Thanks again - now off to work, I'll check for answers in the evening.
I wish you all a nice weekend.

Ellemand.

S

Sean_Reid

When you see that information in program mode it is provisional. The actual exposure will often be different. To see what I mean, try this:

1. Switch the screen so that it stays on and set the camera to program mode.
2. Note the aperture and shutter speed shown.
3. Now half-press the shutter (so that the camera actually does the final metering). You'll note that the exposure often changes.

Cheers,

Sean

V

veriwide

In "P" mode I get nothing at all. And yes I find it strange that there is no shutter speed in aperture mode, but as I have only had the camera for a short while and bought it used, I just figured that is the way it is :confused:
I stand corrected. I just checked again after reading Sean's post and I do see both settings when adjusting the scroll wheel in 'black screen' mode when shooting in 'Program mode', which, BTW is something I never do.

However, I do agree with what ellemand has found to be the case with regards no SS info when in aperture mode. This is not correct and the only way to work around it is to take a test shot and then bring it up to see what the speed set is. Not the best of situations, but doable. You would think Ricoh is aware of this and could effect a correction.

Bernard

S

Sean_Reid

If one needs to see that shutter speed, the simplest solution is to set the LCD so that it stays on for a bit. There's no need for a test shot then.

Cheers,

Sean

V

veriwide

If one needs to see that shutter speed, the simplest solution is to set the LCD so that it stays on for a bit. There's no need for a test shot then.

Cheers,

Sean
Well if what you mean by that is LCD confirm... it still does not show either aperture or SS. Keep in mind that my GR is the original not the II.. perhaps they are different?

Bernard

S

Sean_Reid

I am talking about the GR II because I don't have a GR here to check. But what I'm talking about (apparently with limited success <G>) is setting the camera so that the LCD stays on while one is photographing. I don't like to do that myself but doing so will allow one to see the chosen shutter speed in AE mode.

Cheers,

Sean

E

ellemand

Hi Sean (and veriwide).

I do understand you - and I know, how to handle the problem.
I just found it strange, that I have the possibility of seeing the aperture and SS on the black screen before shooting - by turning the adjustwheel - but only in P-mode and NOT in A-mode.
When almost using A-mode, i would like to have the same possibility, that I'm having in P-mode.
It would be nice, if Ricoh could fix that in the next upgrade.
I hope you now can understand, what I'm meaning ;)

Thanks for your time veriwide and Sean.

Ellemand.

V

veriwide

I am talking about the GR II because I don't have a GR here to check. But what I'm talking about (apparently with limited success <G>) is setting the camera so that the LCD stays on while one is photographing. I don't like to do that myself but doing so will allow one to see the chosen shutter speed in AE mode.

Cheers,

Sean
Quite right, but that kind of defeats the advantages of using the black screen in the first place, no ? When in that mode I do not want to see anything other than the pertinent info on the screen and, correct me if I am wrong, but was the black screen setting not a recent upgrade? I think they just missed this one and we will eventually see a correction....:thumbup:

Thanks for your input Sean. And, yes Ellemand, we do understand :D

Bernard