The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 News from PMA

Tim

I am rather taken by the second sample DP2 photo here, http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP2/sample-photo/ the one with the old book. Its the only 50 ISO sample and it really seems to grab my attention, what are your thoughts on the samples?

The landscape with trees, (13th image from top) is a little fuzzy and lacking detail but the others are exceptional IHMO.

N

nei1

I dont normally focus on these things but the background of the single flower shot is attractive.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Yeah...yeah...but they don't show what's important....

show us iso 800+ handheld in low light and normal light...
the focal length is a concern to me due to the fact that I use VF's. The shallow DOF could inhibit that use....see below....

f2.8 32.7'
f4.0 26.3'
f5.6 18.6'
f8.0 13.2'
f11 9.36'

The above is the hyperfocal distance for the DP2 at the given f stops. So, the viewfinder for street stuff is well, maybe not so great....even for close in portraits, the screen might have to be used....in which case I would sell the camera...

any thoughts........don

Rick Waldroup

Yes, I was hoping to see some high ISO shots, too. I pondered long and hard before I made my decision to go with the Ricoh GRDII over the DP-1. But now, the DP-2 looks sooo promising.....

I like the fact that it has a 40mm lens instead of the 28 and that the lens is also faster. If it can take some really outstanding photos at 800 or higher, that would cement the deal for me. Of course, then I would have to justify the purchase to the wife.... which is never an easy thing. "Honey, just one more camera....." :wtf:

I cannot begin to tell you how many times she has heard that line from me the past 35 years. :D

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The DP1 Hyperfocal chart...

f4.0. 12.6'
f.5.6 8.93'
f8.0. 6.33'
f11. 4.49'

With my Leica's, I always used the rangefinder
with 50mm and longer. With 35mm never.

Lili

Don, A question on DOF if you will.
With 35mm film full frame would not the DOF of a 35 mm lens be far less than that of the 24.2mm (40mm-e) on the DP2?
Smaller format generally yields greater DOF for same f stop and FOV does it not? Despite the slightly longer EFOV the DP2 ought to still benefit from this
If so then the DP2 should be as easy to scale focus as the Leica film camera with a 35mm lens.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili,
This is true but on the lens it's very easy
to calculate the DOF/Hyperfocal distance.
The DP2 must have a better screen to make
the lens work as the finder has limited
applications.

Lili

Lili,
This is true but on the lens it's very easy
to calculate the DOF/Hyperfocal distance.
The DP2 must have a better screen to make
the lens work as the finder has limited
applications.
Ah no DOF Scale would hurt, as well as the tiny dial versus relatively huge scale on 35 mm lens barrel
That make it very clear Don :)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Lili
It's an issue I'm sure they over looked.
There's a few of us VF shooters here and I'd love to
know their thoughts.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Bill and others.....

Firefox has a free add on called Fox Lingo...I just translated the page from Japanese to English Google....very nice info....

don

p.s. those stupid zoom buttons are not turning me on....the thumb will hit them both all the time.....
bummer.....

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

I just installed the Fox Lingo addon, almost nothing on the web pages Bill posted was translated. Do you also have some language packages installed on your computer?

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
I just installed the Fox Lingo addon, almost nothing on the web pages Bill posted was translated. Do you also have some language packages installed on your computer?
Try going to the page in Japanese...then click on webpage under foxlingo...then click on Japanese scroll down to English Google...that there should do it...

I have a Mac...maybe it's a more telligent puter...dunno...

smokysun

hi don,
thanks for the hyperfocal distance info. i'm really enjoying the voightlander vf on the dp1. for one thing it allows a lot steadier holding for lowlight. the 2.8 advantage may actually be lost if you have to use the screen.
downloaded the 42mb pdf and there certainly are a lot of gorgeous pics. nothing at 800 in lowlight, however.
when i can find one for three hundred dollars, i'll buy one!
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp