The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2 News from PMA

DavidE

I stopped by the Sigma table at the Sneak Peak press event at PMA. I was told by a Sigma rep that the DP2 should be shipping sometime in March. He thought it would take a different lens hood from the DP1, but will be able to use the same close-up lens.

I asked if there were any plans to put the DP2's faster processor into the DP1. He said he didn't know. It would depend on whether they could just replace the processor versus having to redesign the camera.

They do plan to sell both. The DP2 doesn't replace the DP1.

DavidE

Oops, make that Sneak Peek, rather than Sneak Peak.

I didn't have a chance to spend any hands-on time with the DP2, so I can't report on how much faster the camera operates. The menu system did seem more responsive than with the DP1.

Hope to give it a spin sometime during the show.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks David . I know Terry and i will be going over to check it out Thursday after our leica demo

fordfanjpn

I didn't have a chance to spend any hands-on time with the DP2, so I can't report on how much faster the camera operates. The menu system did seem more responsive than with the DP1.

Hope to give it a spin sometime during the show.
I hope they have the real deal there at the show. It seems that at the UK show last week they only had a beta version with no memory card. I think a lot of people are going to be rather upset if we have another 1 year delay like we had with the DP1. Looking forward to your report.

Bill

Lili

This is promising, would really like to see one soon ;)
Bill, Hope you are feeling better

DavidE

I asked Sigma about the DP2 price. No firm price just yet. The rep told me they plan to price it a bit higher than the DP1.

They gave me a spec sheet on the DP2. It lists ISO settings from 50 to 1600 (the DP1 tops out at ISO 800). I forgot to ask if they might add ISO 1600 to the DP1 via a firmware upgrade.

trisberg

They gave me a spec sheet on the DP2. It lists ISO settings from 50 to 1600 (the DP1 tops out at ISO 800). I forgot to ask if they might add ISO 1600 to the DP1 via a firmware upgrade.
I'd really like that. How about also add f2.8 while they are at it :)

-Thomas

V

VladimirV

They gave me a spec sheet on the DP2. It lists ISO settings from 50 to 1600 (the DP1 tops out at ISO 800).
It looks like the ISO 3200 setting they had in the menu in the DP2 sample at Focus was not achieavable in the quality they hoped so they took it out.

You can see some other pictures and my impressions here.

J

JCdeR

I have a long time pal whom works in a photography and print shop. Although they don't do Sigma he was able to tell me that the formal/list price is going to be a tad less than 1K€ here in Germany. This coincides with "a little more" than the SD-1 which was 849€ upon introduction.... but dropped very soon.

But as mentioned this is not from an official Sigma dealer....

S

SimonL

This is the digital leica.
More likely this is the closest we currently have to an affordable digital Leica.

I fear it will still handle too slowly to be a true classic in the Leicas image

J

JCdeR

Images look great, indeed true DSLR quality, the colour is fantastic.

Personally the 40mm focal length is not for me, I would of preferred the existing 28.

naoip

Was reading this site today , which seemed to have some more details...

"The image processor has also been upgraded to a Sigma TRUE II ("Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine") processor with improved processing speed, operation, and performance. The DP2 also has a somewhat revised rear panel control layout as compared to the Sigma DP1."

rest of article here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1236050085.html

Tim

Images look great, indeed true DSLR quality, the colour is fantastic.

Personally the 40mm focal length is not for me, I would of preferred the existing 28.
Would it be nice if Sigma made a DP1 Mk II using DP2 internals with a 28mm? :rolleyes:

smokysun

charles traub says, 'a digital p&s faster than any leica.' he means a film leica, of course.

i wonder if we aren't forgetting what the dp1 can do?

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

i wonder if we aren't forgetting what the dp1 can do?
I'm not forgetting. It's because of the DP1 that I'll be adding the DP2 as a companion to my DP1. But I'm beginning to wonder if any of my other cameras will ever get any more use. ;)

Bill