The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Advertisement in Australia

Robert Campbell

Marketing...ISO is ISO (give or take a 1/3 stop here and there).

Cheers,

Sean
Given this and the other comments here, just who is target market for the DP1? Enthusiasts might be put off by the contradictory features; and presumably Joe Average won't be interested, and it's not a fashion statement.

Bertie

Lili

No it won't be but we might as well discuss here anyway.

Note the focus wheel, that's exactly what Ricoh, Leica, etc. should be doing with their compact cameras.

Cheers,

Sean
Sean,
I missed that. Where do you see this? I agree whole heartedly with the need!

Manual Focus= Dial Type

is that it?

Robert Campbell

This is true but then the DP1 has only the focus wheel and no shutter and appreture and this I think would be more impotant.
QUOTE]

The blurb says that the auto focus has 9 points, but doesn't make it clear if the focus wheel merely selects these, or if manual focus is continuous from whatever the minimum distance is to infinity.

Bertie

Last edited:
L

Lewis

There's no doubt it's a fine looking camera-but we just have to wait and see how it performs if and when it's released! Could be a while yet!

H

helgipelgi

The blurb says that the auto focus has 9 points, but doesn't make it clear if the focus wheel merely selects these, or if manual focus is continuous from whatever the minimum distance is to infinity.
9 points as in a 9 square grid for moving the focus inside the frame (ala LX2/DL3)

What I'm curious about is whether the focus wheel has distance markings on it, or at least if it is calibrated (as opposed to being a jog wheel, if you know what I mean).

Robert Campbell

9 points as in a 9 square grid for moving the focus inside the frame (ala LX2/DL3)

What I'm curious about is whether the focus wheel has distance markings on it, or at least if it is calibrated (as opposed to being a jog wheel, if you know what I mean).
You are quite right - sorry - going gaga again :eek:
But I haven't seen any top plate pix.

Bertie

L

Lewis

Still no lock to stop that dial being turned accidently though! That's my main beef!

Maggie O

I'm guessing that you'll have to manually engage the focus wheel with one of the buttons on the back.

T

tt113

I found the following youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv285AfHtp4
In the clip, we see the camera quickly fire off two shots with flash enable, it seems fast, but the start-up time seems very long. There are also information floating around that it has a six shot raw buffer, and it will available this march for $800. However, its dimension is 4.5x2.3x2", so it is wider and thicker than the canon G9, which means that it is no longer pocketable. If the price is right, that will make it only $100 more than the ricoh grd II.

7ian7

No camera answers every wish, but this camera will have to be taken seriously.

It's tiny, its capture-quality will likely blow away our Ricohs, detail-wise, and its auto-focus (and manual focus wheel) will make it a strong contender against the M8 with a 35mm lens, where shot to shot sharpness is a priority. I wish it looked less like a slick p&s and more like the Ricohs, with an ergonomics-biased design, but the release of this camera is a very good development and we should all be cheering it on.

I commend Sigma for attempting to lay down the gauntlet. Not so long from now, there will be an array of comparably spec'd cameras from competing manufacturers and we'll all benefit.

Cheers

simonclivehughes

I commend Sigma for attempting to lay down the gauntlet. Not so long from now, there will be an array of comparably spec'd cameras from competing manufacturers and we'll all benefit.
As much as I'd like this to be true, I don't necessarily see it anymore than conjecturing that there will be multiple digital rangefinders not so long from now. Its' success, as will the possibility of rivals, will be dictated by how good it is and by market demand. ROI is still what will drive development, especially of niche products such as these.

7ian7

The high-end glass and features crammed in to small, arguably over-priced bodies aimed at rich, status-conscious types and earnest pro/am shooters alike concept had a bit of a heyday in the Contax, Hexar, GR film era, so I am hoping that processor and sensor technology — and fervor — is evolving to a point where manufacturers will deem this sub-category commercially viable again in the digital realm. My recollection is that the appeal back then extended to a way broader section of the market than simply true believers.

I can't guarantee it will happen, but I am optimistic. The launch of Nikon's fantastic D3 dslr has the potential to upset the balance of digital power in positive ways this industry hasn't witnessed in years. In a truly competitive environment all kinds of beautiful and seemingly unrelated things can occur .. so who knows.

S

Sean_Reid

I am very curious to see the reviews of this camera. I've been curious about it and checking progress for the last year. I am not in any rush for another small sensor camera and do like what I've seen from the GRD II and GX100. I am with you that f4 and ISO 800 could be a problem as I've used ISO 1250 and f2 with a slow shutter speed when out at a some restaurants/bars with friends. If I am stuck using the DP1 as a good light camera my d-lux3 works just fine for the sized prints I would need. I was looking for it to really shine where my other small sensor cameras don't in low light.
As soon as I get one to review....

Cheers,

Sean