The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Waterproof Cameras

Terry

At PMA there were two new waterproof cameras that I wanted to take a look at. The TS1 by Panny is a small square shape with folded optics so no lens moving in and out. Felt OK a little cramped for controls.

The Canon is a bigger camera with a hump for the lens so it doesn't need to retract. This is not me being sensitive but I thought the Canon Rep was sort of an _____. you can fill in the blank. Said all the other cameras with folded optics were pretty junky. Had no answer for my question about the exposed plastic/glass covering over the lens and how one keeps it from getting scratched/trashed. No answer. Again felt pretty cramped.

I've heard good things about the Pentax waterproof camera but didn't look at it here.

That may be my small sensor camera.... A beach one.

Last edited:
B

Bill Wilby

I have sold many Pentax WR series cameras over the years. They are O.K. but I am expecting Panasonic to do it much better. With the Pentax I have never seen a problem with the exposed glass. Bill

mazor

I got a case from EWA Marine for my LX3. It works amazing with my LX3. Only issue, is that one must hold the glass and plastic shroud close against the LX3, otherwise it may interfere with the image captured. Other than that, I used it daily while I was on vacation, it it never leaked, or fogged up.

Mazor

Terry

thanks, these weren't waterproof casings but the whole camera itself is sealed and can be used in the water. On the Panny side it is sort of like their tough book computers that can take beating.

Lili

Weatherproof cameras really can allow one to take advantage of the adage "have a camera". Small and durable they can certainly go with one everywhere.

O

Oxide Blu

... Had no answer for my question about the exposed plastic/glass covering over the lens and how one keeps it from getting scratched/trashed.
While scratches are an issue with images on land, underwater those scratches fill in with water and become invisible, do not impact the image.

If you have an extra $600 laying around Ricoh introduced a water-tight camera late last year.

Tim

TEB, I've been considering the Olympus 1030SW and its earlier models for ages. I think they would be good "kids" cameras also, as they are advertised to be able to take rougher than normal treatment and survive.

The Panasonic model does do video in 720P mode also, using an AVCHD lite version of codec, so it has that as possible advantage. The Olympus 1030 seems to be "tougher" though according to its specs - both drop distance and WR rating.

I once had a print from one of the Olympus Toughs and the IQ was barely ok IMHO. Still as Lili says as an always with you camera it may be a good option.

Last edited:

mazor

thanks, these weren't waterproof casings but the whole camera itself is sealed and can be used in the water. On the Panny side it is sort of like their tough book computers that can take beating.

Yes I know, very handy indeed to have a camera that is already waterproof, but it seems none of them come with as high quality fast optics, as traditional point and shooters that are not water and shock proof.

Mazor

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
As an owner of the Pentax Optio W60, I can say that while the image quality isn't the very best, it ain't bad. Especially when you factor in the idea that you can literally take this thing anywhere in any weather. I've stuck it in a snowbank with the self-timer, shot underwater, in the pouring rain, while holding it with soaking wet gloves, and while standing in the middle of a river.

There's a trade-off for that kind of all-access. I don't hold it against the camera, just try to remember that it is what it is and it allows me to shoot worry-free in environments I would never take any other camera into. All for less than $300. Do I wish the quality was as good as a D-Lux 4 (or fill in the blank with your favorite small sensor camera)? Sure, but the reality of how often I use it together with its specialized ability, seem like a fair trade off to make.

O

Oxide Blu

Here's that Ricoh...

The G600 digital camera has a 5x optical zoom lens with the water, dust, and shock resistance specs needed for reliable operation in outdoor activities such as marine sports, mountain climbing, and fishing. Water resistance is rated at JIS protection grade 7, with underwater shooting up to a depth of 1 meter possible.

Something to keep in mind is the difference between "waterproof" and "water resistant". As noted in that info above, the JIS 7 spec is an indication of water resistance to a specific depth or pressure for a specific time period. I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that JIS 7 is for 30-mins. So that Ricoh camera can operate and withstand at least the pressure of 1-meter water intrusion for at least 30-mins. JIS 7 is the spec marine electronics manfrs built to for safety equipment (VHF radios, EPIRBs ...). It indicates a significant level of water resistance at the surface, not intended for diving.

A waterproof camera would be something like the Nikonus -- something that can resist water intrusion indefinitely at depths/pressure tolerated by the human body.

Y.B.Hudson III

Yehh, I like t old pentax W30... grain like noise (like the original GRD) can be had cheap... perfect camera for party animals, bikers, boarders, surfers et al... just don't loan it out, 'cause you'll never get it bacK...that g00d...

Michael S

No kidding on that Pentax W30, eh ?

Cause I know you're a fussy sorta 'party animal' when it comes to your photos.:cool:

Terry

Here's that Ricoh...

The G600 digital camera has a 5x optical zoom lens with the water, dust, and shock resistance specs needed for reliable operation in outdoor activities such as marine sports, mountain climbing, and fishing. Water resistance is rated at JIS protection grade 7, with underwater shooting up to a depth of 1 meter possible.

Something to keep in mind is the difference between "waterproof" and "water resistant". As noted in that info above, the JIS 7 spec is an indication of water resistance to a specific depth or pressure for a specific time period. I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that JIS 7 is for 30-mins. So that Ricoh camera can operate and withstand at least the pressure of 1-meter water intrusion for at least 30-mins. JIS 7 is the spec marine electronics manfrs built to for safety equipment (VHF radios, EPIRBs ...). It indicates a significant level of water resistance at the surface, not intended for diving.

A waterproof camera would be something like the Nikonus -- something that can resist water intrusion indefinitely at depths/pressure tolerated by the human body.
Yes,
I used waterproof wrong. They are all rated similarly to the Ricoh. Ricoh isn't distributed in the US but there is a dealer that carries the GRD and GX series. I looked on their site and this one isn't there. Looks kind of cool.

cam

Yes,
I used waterproof wrong. They are all rated similarly to the Ricoh. Ricoh isn't distributed in the US but there is a dealer that carries the GRD and GX series. I looked on their site and this one isn't there. Looks kind of cool.
i got mine from Popflash and may be interested in selling it as i'm not using it.... too addicted to RF's at the moment :p

cam

a few people asked me about the camera so i wanted to check on the going price (which seems to be around $600 from Japan -- i paid more in november) and found this. less than $230 which, i assure, is far cheaper than i'd ever sell mine for.

seriously, if anybody is looking for a camera that can withstand sand and surf, rain, dirt, sweat, ashes, drops, etc, this is the bomb. this thing is RUGGED (and slippery as hell so it's a good thing it's droppable). a very silly video review on it is here.

it is an absolutely brilliant camera in bright light of the sun. grey rainy days drove me mad because of the slow aperture. and, even though it goes to 3200, i found 800 the as much as i could take (and i'm quite tolerant). i will try to put some pics -- got some fairly amazing shots at a Lakers' game (in manual mode) and a few from a rainy day here. the IQ is on par with the top of the line Ricoh consumer line. the handling, i imagine, the same (as a GRD user, i wanted to strangle it).

i steered people away at $700/$800, but for $250?

gromitspapa

I looked at the sample images on the Ricoh G600 site, and I'm just not seeing any special image quality there. So, I can't see the attraction at $250 vs an Olympus SW or Pentax Optio. I think the Ricoh looks kind of cool, but it also looks kind of Fisher Pricey, too. And what happens when it goes more than 1 meter deep? The Olympus and Pentax are rated for 4 meters or so.

Terry

I looked at the sample images on the Ricoh G600 site, and I'm just not seeing any special image quality there. So, I can't see the attraction at $250 vs an Olympus SW or Pentax Optio. I think the Ricoh looks kind of cool, but it also looks kind of Fisher Pricey, too. And what happens when it goes more than 1 meter deep? The Olympus and Pentax are rated for 4 meters or so.
I just went to the site and agree, the samples won't help them sell cameras. I actually like the Fisher Price look to the camera. The new Panasonic will retail for $399 so somewhere in the low $300 range is where it would end up.

The one on ebay is somewhat enticing.

Cam - that video was actually a great one. I actually found it very well done for actually showing him doing "stupid camera tricks" LOL

cam

the images are not particularly special -- they are just mighty good for the teensy sensor.... as for how deep, i've only submerged it in the bathtub -- a bubble bath at that :ROTFL:

the Fisher Pricey look is very cool -- no one takes you seriously. they think you're a complete idiot, which always has its merits :D the bright yellow makes it easy to see in your bag and, oh, if you drop it (especial in the surf). when i said it was slippery, it's because it's the first camera that i've dropped (did not attach the wrist strap or the neck lanyard) and was mortified -- until i realised the camera wasn't phased. it was at the basketball game and it fell on hard concrete and skiddled down the row....

one thing that is very deceptive about its looks is how damned heavy it feels in your hand. unlike the competitors which can easily be thrown in any kit, this thing weighs a lot. it is as solid as a brick. i absolutely trust it to withstand abuse!

the downside to the lens always being encased is twofold. first, it's really really easy to stick your fingers in the pics :eek: the other, is that you can get rain (or ocean spray) on the lens and be totally oblivious. this can cause cool effects but in the end, i imagine, it would get wearisome. something like RainX could probably be recommended....

now, i only have 3 pics from this cam up on my flickr site: two pigeons and a metro. i will try to put up more this evening. i was mostly moaning about what the camera was not -- rather than being happy with what it was. i'd stupidly expected quality on par with my GRD and it wasn't there because i did not go with the earlier version (which is now impossible to find). i expected more of a rugged camera than it could possibly deliver. i think we all fall into that category -- we have gotten extremely spoiled by the quality of today's compacts. the G600 will not deliver nor, i suspect, will any of the others.

if you want something to put in your purse, camera bag, in case of foul weather -- this ain't it. it weighs too much. if you want something to put in your glove box in case of tornadoes, this could be your cam -- it won't blow away :cool: it would be absolutely superb at the beach and the like -- you can play in the surf with it around your neck and not worry about somebody nicking it. if i was still rock climbing and hiking, despite its weight, this would be the one i'd choose.

(please note -- i have no affiliation with the ebay site i linked and would definitely email them, etc.)

Terry

So, I've spent the last two days at home wallowing in bed with a touch of the flu (thanks to a very sick gentleman sitting next to me on a flight that had no business flying as sick as he was). Well, I had my laptop by my side when I saw that someone bid on one of the G600's from the seller above as an auction and obliterated the buy it now. Lucky me!!! I won it for the £142 but I had a 10% off coupon expiring today. So, £127.80 !!!!! Do I need some lego to go with my Fisher Price toy?