The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Images from PMA Trip

DavidE

This one is from my hotel room window. I snapped a bunch of shots as the sun was coming up. This was the sharpest and best lit of the bunch.

ISO 100, f/4, 1.6 seconds

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

This is from the Midway section of Circus Circus. Hardly anyone was around at the time.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/3 second

[My server tends to be slow. You may have to hit the refresh button if the image doesn't load the first time.]

DavidE

One of the games at Circus Circus. The stuffed dogs seemed to be paying tribute. It reminded me of the Mollock-like machine in the silent film Metropolis.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/15 second

DavidE

Thanks Lili and Helen.

They're shot in RAW with an initial pass in SPP. I export as 16-bit TIF files. Then I do some cleanup work in Lightroom. I'll usually save them several different ways from SPP -- no set pattern, just whatever seems to work at the time.

DavidE

Inside view of one of the games at Circus Circus.

ISO 100, f/8, 1/13 second

DavidE

Hi, Terry. I enjoyed visiting with you at the S2 demo on Thursday.

I didn't get a chance to shoot with a DP2, though I did run into Rick Decker. He had his notebook computer, and we looked at some of the shots he had taken with a DP2. We blew them up to 100 percent, and they seemed just as sharp as any images I've seen from a DP1.

Rawfa

The photos look great, David. How did you stabilize the camera for those REALLY slow shutter speed photos inside the show?

DavidE

Thanks, Rawfa. I usually look for a flat surface where I can place the DP1. Sometimes I lean against a wall or barrier. In addition, I carry a small tabletop tripod, though I hardly ever use it. The only image in this bunch where I used the small tripod was the 1.6-second hotel window shot (it helped me position the camera above the window ledge). I also take multiple shots, figuring at least one will be sharp as a tack.

DavidE

This is a building near the Las Vegas Convention Center. I took a longer walk back to the hotel on Wednesday hoping to see something interesting.

ISO 100, f/10, 1/200 second

DavidE

Times are tough -- even Neptune has to take on a part time job.

ISO 100, f/10, 1/320 second

Terry

David,
My first chance to see these on my larger monitor. They all look good. Hard to believe how much construction continues in Las Vegas!

DavidE

Terry, I read that the multi-billion-dollar hotel project in the first shot (the Echelon) is on hold until 2010. It's too costly to move the cranes, so they just left them there. On one of my trips to Vegas last year, I spoke with a parking lot guard who joked they were going to name the crane as the Nevada state bird.

Here's another DP1 shot from the PMA trip. I used a fence to steady the camera.

ISO 100, f/4, 1/2 second

fordfanjpn

I'm getting so excited to receive my DP1. Every time I see samples like this I just get more and more excited!
If you're going to be a first-time DP1 owner, I think it's important to keep in mind that the camera has some "issues" in terms of how it needs to be used. But if you're willing to work with it on its own terms and accept its little idiosyncrasies, then you will be rewarded with some spectacular images (assuming of course that you aim it at something spectacular). The only other cameras I have that give me the same kind of satisfaction that the DP1 images give me are medium and large format film cameras. And they are much more of a pain in the butt to work with. So hopefully you'll get as much satisfaction from your DP1 as many of us have gotten, and continue to get (and look forward to more of with the DP2). ;)

Bill

agoglanian

I used to shoot exclusively with a Horseman LE 4x5 and Mamiya RZ67 (Which later became a Hasselblad H1) So I am well-acquainted with taking my time to compose an image and get the best possible shot. I've read tons and tons of articles describing the quirks and "faults" of this camera, so I feel that I'm well-prepared in what to expect. I have a D-Lux 4 for truly candid street and general photography, it's plenty quick, but I got this DP1 as an addition to it mostly for fun and because i've been so darn curious about shooting with it.

My "regular" setup is a 1DmkIII w/ assorted L lenses. I do all my serious work with that kit.

So essentially I am working with this mostly for fun, and for street shooting.