Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: DP2 next month?

  1. #1
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    DP2 next month?

    I apologize if this has already been posted, but here is a link to a YouTube interview with the Sigma dude at PMA who says that the factory is planning to start shipping out the DP2 at the end of this month so the dealers should have them in the beginning of April. I hope it doesn't turn out to be an April Fools joke.

    Bill

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jkD...e=channel_page

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Bill,
    My dealer here in Philly tells me no more than 2 weeks....he expects a good supply and I asked him to let me know how many he gets, as I would like some friends to get in on the deal.....we'll see....don

  3. #3
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill,
    My dealer here in Philly tells me no more than 2 weeks....he expects a good supply and I asked him to let me know how many he gets, as I would like some friends to get in on the deal.....we'll see....don
    Don,

    I haven't been able to get any word from anyone here in Japan, but I expect to be the first one in line when it does come out. Good luck to both of us.

    Bill

  4. #4
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Roger that bro......I'm shakin' in me boots at the thought of it.....

  5. #5
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Roger that bro......I'm shakin' in me boots at the thought of it.....
    I had a brief lapse where I considered spending the money on the new Mac Mini, but fortunately I came to my senses.

    Bill

  6. #6
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Good move to wait.....
    I hear that the Mac Mini is gettin re-done...again.

    I did a mission Sunday. Used the DP1 only..
    f8 iso 800 gave me about 1/500 - 1/1000..
    the iq knocked my socks off.... no blown highlights or lost
    shadows....remarkable...

  7. #7
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Good move to wait.....
    I hear that the Mac Mini is gettin re-done...again.

    I did a mission Sunday. Used the DP1 only..
    f8 iso 800 gave me about 1/500 - 1/1000..
    the iq knocked my socks off.... no blown highlights or lost
    shadows....remarkable...
    I've been running mine at EV -0.7. Are you using any exposure compensation, or do you run it at zero?

    Bill

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Good move to wait.....
    I hear that the Mac Mini is gettin re-done...again.
    .
    What are you hearing on the Mini....I'm contemplating one but I'm a little bothered by the hard drive choices. I would have liked a fast SSD option.

  9. #9
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    What are you hearing on the Mini....I'm contemplating one but I'm a little bothered by the hard drive choices. I would have liked a fast SSD option.
    The new Mini has already been introduced. I'm not so concerned about the internal drive because I tend to use externals for most of my files and only use the internal drive for the OS. The video looks a lot better and will drive two monitors, including the 30". It will also handle up to 4GB of memory now (although I wouldn't buy that memory from Apple). The Apple site has the info on the new Mini.

    Bill

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    The new Mini has already been introduced. I'm not so concerned about the internal drive because I tend to use externals for most of my files and only use the internal drive for the OS. The video looks a lot better and will drive two monitors, including the 30". It will also handle up to 4GB of memory now (although I wouldn't buy that memory from Apple). The Apple site has the info on the new Mini.

    Bill
    OK, I thought I responded to a more current post. I've been working on this decision for the past week. Yes, I use external storage as well. I still thought a faster drive for apps was better. I will do the memory from Apple. We get a small discount and I'm not keen on opening it up.

  11. #11
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I've been running mine at EV -0.7. Are you using any exposure compensation, or do you run it at zero?

    Bill
    Bill, I was running at -3 or -7 but I wasn't liken the results....I run zero unless I want 1600 or 3200.....

  12. #12
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill, I was running at -3 or -7 but I wasn't liken the results....I run zero unless I want 1600 or 3200.....
    I really, really hate blown highlights, so I usually run my digital cameras at minus something. What was it you didn't like about -3 or -7 (I assume you mean -.3 or -.7)?

    Bill

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    I really, really hate blown highlights, so I usually run my digital cameras at minus something. What was it you didn't like about -3 or -7 (I assume you mean -.3 or -.7)?

    Bill
    Bill,
    It seemed to lack all the dynamic range I love.
    I'm a raw shooter and the DP1 does a good job
    of capturing what I want. In color I probably would not
    change anything either. In b&w, it's all there....
    Sometimes in PP I process some whites to zone 9 or 10
    just for the dynamic range.
    By the way, at 800 theres very little noise.
    Don

  14. #14
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Bill,
    It seemed to lack all the dynamic range I love.
    I'm a raw shooter and the DP1 does a good job
    of capturing what I want. In color I probably would not
    change anything either. In b&w, it's all there....
    Sometimes in PP I process some whites to zone 9 or 10
    just for the dynamic range.
    By the way, at 800 theres very little noise.
    Don
    I do shoot a lot at 800, I always shoot raw and I almost always process for B&W, but I have been keeping the EV at minus .7. Maybe I should set it back to zero for a while and see what I get. Thanks.

    Bill

  15. #15
    Senior Member simonclivehughes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Bill, I'm like you, I'm generally running all of my cameras (including the DP1) at EV -.7. The only time I'll deviate from this is when I'm shooting really high ISOs so that I expose to the right as much as possible.

    Cheers,

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    I was doing that but in my eyes, zero is cleaner.....dunno, I'm gitten' old anywayz....

  17. #17
    Senior Member fordfanjpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tokyo
    Posts
    551
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: DP2 next month?

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    I was doing that but in my eyes, zero is cleaner.....dunno, I'm gitten' old anywayz....
    It's certainly worth trying. I'm taking a day off to recover from a late-night jam session, so I'll head out later and do some experimenting.

    Bill

  18. #18
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: DP2 next month?

    What cha playin' Bill?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •