The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX10iii raw images

dhsimmonds

All my other cameras raw images allow me to 'develop' them in PS6. Unfortunately PS6 no longer updates the raw images to the latest cameras, unless I subscribe to the program when I can download it when I need.
I have no intention of doing this as I paid for my PS6 long ago!
What raw converter do you use with your RX10iii as I cannot get on with the Sony Capture One program at all even though I have used C1 up to C1 version 8.
Many thanks.

pegelli

If you download the latest Adobe dng converter and convert the raw files to dng format then PS6 can handle them.

dhsimmonds

Thank you for this. The problem is because the Sony RX10iii has only one card slot, my files contain both the .jpg and .raw images. The Adobe .dng converter converts both to .dng unless I convert them individually which takes a long time. There are times when the .jpg image is good enough for my needs.

pegelli

You could copy all files from your card to your hard drive, then split the jpg's in one subdirectory and the raws in another. Then only batch convert the files in the raw subdirectory.

I worked that way with my NEX6 for almost two years when I was still running LR 3 (because my OS wasn't supported by the later LR versions).
It adds one step to your workflow, but I found it pretty quick and you only have to do it once when you import.

The other thing you could do is download the free version of C1 for Sony. It's not as powerful as PS or LR but does the job.
For 50$ you can get the pro version (for Sony) which is as good as or sometimes even better then the Adobe conversion in PS or LR.

dhsimmonds

Thank you pegelli. I have C1 for Sony but just can't get on with it compared to older versions of C1. I would upgrade to C1Pro if I did anything in that direction. A .dng converter that just accepted an instruction to only convert raw images would be just great.

Yes I thought of separating the raw and jpg's into separate folders but was trying to avoid putting another procedure into my PP procedures! I was just born lazy really!
Incidentally I always down load to a predestined folder on one of my remote multi disc set up's and back up yet again to another....belt and braces stuff!

pegelli

Yup, it's always difficult to avoid additional steps if your current tools don't support your new camera.

If the choice is 2 or 3 extra steps on import to use the tool you're familiar with vs. learning a new tool to do the conversions I would choose the former, but that's just me.

dbogdan

All my other cameras raw images allow me to 'develop' them in PS6. Unfortunately PS6 no longer updates the raw images to the latest cameras, unless I subscribe to the program when I can download it when I need.
I have no intention of doing this as I paid for my PS6 long ago!
What raw converter do you use with your RX10iii as I cannot get on with the Sony Capture One program at all even though I have used C1 up to C1 version 8.
Many thanks.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Win/idc/us.html

db

dhsimmonds

So the new Sony RX10 iv is announced with deliveries starting in October. It's the Mk3 but with a very fast phase detection auto focus and weather proofed, otherwise it's the same lens etc., it seems to me.