The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX10iv

drofnad

The lens does seem impressive --such a huge range, yet fast!

As someone who's photo-ing often takes in shots at a wide range of FLs, I typically have a couple zooms --as changing lenses is at best a PITA and otherwise might mean missing a shot (or not really *seeing* it by looking w/particular lens if unmounted). Looking back on Nikon's retreat from bringing in a 1" sensor'd trio of overlapping lenses, I wonder if they might've gotten more interest if they's done just two, complementing the wider-than-others "DL1850/1.8-2.8 with a similarly fast telephoto (even w/gap in combined range : 70-200/2.8-4?).

-d.

dhsimmonds

The lens does seem impressive --such a huge range, yet fast!
As someone who's photo-ing often takes in shots at a wide range of FLs, I typically have a couple zooms --as changing lenses is at best a PITA and otherwise might mean missing a shot (or not really *seeing* it by looking w/particular lens if unmounted). Looking back on Nikon's retreat from bringing in a 1" sensor'd trio of overlapping lenses, I wonder if they might've gotten more interest if they's done just two, complementing the wider-than-others "DL1850/1.8-2.8 with a similarly fast telephoto (even w/gap in combined range : 70-200/2.8-4?).
-d.
More like Nikon got wind of Sony's latest RX10iv, as they withdrew their publicised equivalent at almost the very last moment before launching it! In order to compete effectively would have required a complete re-design and that may still happen. Exciting time for advanced bridge cameras if they do.

drunkenspyder

Black rhino at illuminated Etosha water hole, Namibia. This male was followed later by a female and calf. Pushed the little Sony to its limit. Noisy image, but an amazing moment.

ISO 12800 | 1/40s | f/4 | 81mm

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

More like Nikon got wind of Sony's latest RX10iv, as they withdrew their publicised equivalent at almost the very last moment before launching it! In order to compete effectively would have required a complete re-design and that may still happen. Exciting time for advanced bridge cameras if they do.
Might be true. Anyway, the P1000 is almost here. Interesting to see how it compares with the RX10iv. I thoroughly enjoyed having the Sony with me on a recent trip to Africa. No, the lens is not as good as big glass on a Sony or Nikon full frame, but it was the one I had with me. And the 20mp performed fairly well. I was giving some serious thought to investing in a 4/3 mirrorless; the Panny G9 is a nice camera with some very good lenses to go along. But the optical difference may no longer be compelling enough to carry even a couple of zooms. The Sony avoids lens swap in the field, and is just good enough. Yes, a good time for quality bridge cameras.

Matix

The Mk 4 version of this phenomenal 1", 24-600mm Zeiss lens camera has a really excellent specification.
See this hands on review here: Sony RX10 Mark IV review-so-far - | Cameralabs
Hi Dave, I just noted this post while looking for some tips.. I picked up this camera 3 weeks ago, as a main travel camera as the last trip to Antarctica and South Americat with a heavy bag and the LeicaLumix 100-400mm was just too much. Jury is still out for the comparison with the Lumix 7-14 for wide, and the low light.. but so far it is a winner. Takes a while to wade through the menus and set up using Sony terminology, but having the RX100IV and in the past, the A77 I am getting there

Here is a long shot, an Osprey at around 100 meters, cropped of course so one cannot expect perfection, but could you imagine a full frame camera around your neck to get this shot?

A very flexible and amazing camera indeed.

Phil (sorry, links do not seem to work, copy to your browser)

ISO 800, F4, 1/2000, 220mm (440FF) Afternoon sun. Hervey Bay, QLD

Last edited:

dhsimmonds

Hi Phil

I am pleased that you like this camera. I haven't done much with it this year due to back problems but it is a great camera for travelling light without compromising too much in image quality.