The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Viewfinders on compacts.

agoglanian

So I'm pretty positive that I will get some kind of viewfinder for my DP1. I don't mind using the screen on the D-Lux 4 because it's even better than the screen on my 1DmkIII! But, let's face it, the DP1 lcd leaves much to be desired, especially in low light. I'd rather just not use it ;). I'm debating however which one to get. The CV 28mm one does look promising, but I have heard it doesn't quite fit perfectly in the hot shoe? I wanted to find out if the Sigma finder is really any good? I never really see/hear much about it.

On a side note, I really wanted to get the Leica finder for my Dlux, but at $350 I don't think I can stomach that!

Opinons?

MisiekBunnik

I am very happy with mine, i never thought i would use it that much. Taking pictures becomes a lot more natural.

On the lensmate site you can see the differences in brightness, but I think the sigma viewfinder is really bright enough, and a snug fit. I do not like the writing in white on top though, black would have been sufficient...

simonclivehughes

I use the Voigtlander 28mm VF on my DP1 and yes, it is a little loose. I fix this by putting a piece of electrical tape on the bottom plate of the viewfinder. This works perfectly, and the viewfinder is fabulous with the DP1.

Cheers,

agoglanian

nice! two completely different opinions. I wonder if either of you could post a photo of what the viewfinder looks like on each camera? I would be interested in seeing the physical size of each.

I know the CV finder is a high eye-point, does that affect your framing at all? (I don't wear glasses personally.)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Another vote for the Voigtlander finder....I put a piece od LCD screen protector on the bottom of the shoe and it's snug as a bug on a rug....with a 28

C

CScottMcQueen

I bought the Sigma one (If im honest, it was the cheapest @ £50) and its plenty bright enough for me. I have to agree that i don't like the white writing but a bit of black insulation tape or at a push a black sharpie would take care of it :)

Excuse the poor iphone pic but it gives you a rough idea DP1 with VF-11, HA-11 and Franiec grip

agoglanian

On the notion of using a piece of screen protector (or similar) on the bottom, does that make it a hassle to remove the VF? I also got the EF-140 flash with my DP1 when I bought it from a fellow photog, so I will occasionally be using that too.

Just food for thought.

simonclivehughes

As long as what you're putting on the bottom of the VF isn't too thick, no, it's no issue in sliding it off when needed.

Cheers,

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
On the notion of using a piece of screen protector (or similar) on the bottom, does that make it a hassle to remove the VF? I also got the EF-140 flash with my DP1 when I bought it from a fellow photog, so I will occasionally be using that too.

Just food for thought.

No problem, it gives just enough thickness to hold
firm but slides off with a slight amount of pressure.
Great finder and you can use the onboard flash too.

agoglanian

I'll do some shopping around then. If I happen to come across the sigma one for a killer deal, I'll probably take that one, but otherwise I'll keep an eye out for the CV 28

agoglanian

I'd also like to revive my thread and see what ideas you all have for a 24mm (or close equivalent) to use on the D-Lux 4. There are many a time (in fact almost every time I use the camera) That I would like to use a Viewfinder instead. I am just greatly concerned by the fact that Leica has the ability to charge $350 for a plastic/glass viewfinder. No matter how good the glass is, there is no escaping the fact that it is just a window to look through for APPROXIMATE framing. Something about that price greatly disturbs me.

Anyways, has anyone found any cheaper viable alternatives? Ideally in the sub $100 range?

S

SimonL

I get a lot less camera shake since I started using the Ricoh mini-finder on my GRD-2